BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have all better strikers than us IMO, so we really need a quality forward sooner rather than later..!

We had a top quality forward - name of Andrew Cole - but Souness showed him the door.

Funny how all our players get better in your opinion after the leave, not so sure Cole needed to be shown the door I think he knew exactly where it was jim.

Just been told by girlfriends sister, who is one of Steve Cotterills p.a's that Burnley will make a bid early next week.

That really would complete the ultimate fall from grace. Poor Matt. I'm sure we'd all love to see him deliver for us but the reality is like thenodrog said in his earlier post - we cant be sentimental, we need to be premiership quality in all areas & Matt just isnt good enough any more.

I dont agree with those who say he hasnt been given a chance. If he was outstanding in training or the reserves he'd be in the squad. As it is, by all accounts he's just been average (as he has been when he came into the team - usually off the bench - last season).

Before we signed Pederson and Pedro the Donkey I wouldve advocated giving Matt a run down the left but now there isnt really that option there either.

Sounds harsh, but knowing what we know lets get him off the wage bill and get something for him before he's out of contract.

Personally I could see him going back to Crystal Palace and being a decent squad player for them.

Don't let this be true, ok he's not the player he was, but he could be give him games, get his confidence back, he should have gone to norway in the summer and he would have come back fit and ready.

Simple Facts:

He is still better than Dwight Yorke.

He works twice as hard.

His movement is twice as good.

SAVE JANNY, dont let sourness win!!!!!!!!

Don't let this be true, ok he's not the player he was, but he could be give him games, get his confidence back, he should have gone to norway in the summer and he would have come back fit and ready.

Simple Facts:

He is still better than Dwight Yorke.

He works twice as hard.

His movement is twice as good.

SAVE JANNY, dont let sourness win!!!!!!!!

Here Here

At least he wants to play for the club.

Save Jansen............dont let souness win

Whilst I agree with folks' sentiments and would love to see Matty back, there is no way it will happen.

I have mentioned this before but a mate of mine visited (and knows well) a local physio who keeps in touch with Rovers. A year or so after the accident Matty could still not coordinate when a ball was thrown/played/passed towards him. Across him he was fine but towards him there was no chance.

Secondly, my lad plays football now and again with one of our youth team. His words were that Jansen was "rubbish." Not exactly articulate but you get the picture.

Thirdly, a club like Rovers, with season ticket holders staying away in droves, simply can't keep paying his wages which must be around £25k per week.

After having had a spat with Yorke, who demonstrated yesterday that he continues to be a lost cause, why would Souey play Yorke ahead of him? Unfortunately there is only one reason - Matty isn't, and now never will be good enough for the PL.

Like everyone else I wish him well wherever he ends up.

withstupid.gif Save Jansen, stop blaming Souness!

Well he is at fault for alot of it! We can always blame Eriksson for not picking him!!!!!! or even martin keown for nicking his place!!! poor Janny sad.gif

or Bennito Flavoitini for selling him the moped in Italy

withstupid.gif Save Jansen, stop blaming Souness!

Well he is at fault for alot of it! We can always blame Eriksson for not picking him!!!!!! or even martin keown for nicking his place!!! poor Janny sad.gif

or Bennito Flavoitini for selling him the moped in Italy

Or the taxi driver for driving in the wrong lane

Well he is at fault for alot of it! We can always blame Eriksson for not picking him!!!!!! or even martin keown for nicking his place!!! poor Janny  sad.gif

To blame for what? Picking the squad that he felt was the best?

Even Chris' scapegoat has more blame..

I remeber that summer, everyone in the country was going 'we need Dyer fit', and his father even Dyer's father said now Dyer is fit we will win the world cup.

It was only after 1 game we all remembered Dyer is crap

still i'm sure laughatthedingles if that is his real anme? was joking!

Well he is at fault for alot of it! We can always blame Eriksson for not picking him!!!!!! or even martin keown for nicking his place!!! poor Janny  sad.gif

The story goes that Matt had been measured up for the World Cup suit. He had been told he was in the squad. Then on the day of the squad selection, the announcement was delayed from around 1000 to 1200 and then til 1500. Something was afoot.

Rumour has it, Tord Gripp suggested that taking a 5th centre back (who was to play no part in the competition and was at the end of an international career) was a better idea than take a 5th striker who could play on the left if necessary, and was a rising star for the future.

How much of the above is true is open to debate, but there are numerous sources with the same events in more less the same fashion.

The story goes that Matt had been measured up for the World Cup suit. He had been told he was in the squad. Then on the day of the squad selection, the announcement was delayed from around 1000 to 1200 and then til 1500. Something was afoot.

Rumour has it, Tord Gripp suggested that taking a 5th centre back (who was to play no part in the competition and was at the end of an international career) was a better idea than take a 5th striker who could play on the left if necessary, and was a rising star for the future.

How much of the above is true is open to debate, but there are numerous sources with the same events in more less the same fashion.

I think we were playing at Anfield against Liverpool (we lost 4-3) and rumour has it that at half time message came down from "above" that Jansen was picked for the world cup squad.

Days later the squad is announced with no Jansen.

The rest is history. sad.gifmad.gif

He may not be the player he was but nobody can say even now that Yorke is a better player.

Good Luck Matty wherever you go and I hope you are given the chance to regain your undoubtable skill. You have been one player that I have found has true football ability coupled with commitment for the team.

Get rid of Yorke before Jansen, he showed glimpses last season and deserves one last chance before we decide to get rid.

If we're going to carry one player up front in a few games I'd rather it was Matty instead of Yorke...at least he has a chance of regaining what he used to have (admittedly, it's a small chance) unlike the smiling git.

Please don't go. sad.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: This story is also in News Of The World today, it has the same quotes as above plus this extra one:

Physically and mentally he's back to normal now - it's just about getting his confidence back

Make of that what you will...if Souey truly believes that then he would be stupid not to give him chance to regain his confidence...we have nothing to lose playing him infront of Yorke for a while.

Edited by LeChuck

I would like to know if we have been offering him on loan to Championship clubs? Surely there would be takers.

I know he had a spell at Coventry but until he gets a regular amount of games we will never know for sure if he has any of the old magic. He had too much talent not to give one final, last chance.

Souness has hardly been i a position to give Matt the chance he needs. the last twelve months have been hell in a handbag. Matty needs a two or three month run to see if he can still do it. It's impossible to achieve that in the PL and how many Championship clubs are going to say "oh it's those nice people from Blackburn on the phone. They'd like us to play Jansen for three months to see if he's fit again - before he goes back to Ewood". ???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.