BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lee Hughes Jailed For 6 Years

den

If he had a drink driving convivtion at 18, then did it again where he killed someone, left the scene of an accident, and as yet never apologised and shown no remorse..........I think he has had his second chance.

You got any proof he drank and drove in the incident he has been put into prison for?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got any proof he drank and drove in the incident he has been put into prison for?

Well even if it hasn't been completely 100% proved that the abhorrent Lee Hughes drank alcohol before killing a passenger in his car - the prosecution during his trial said that he deliberately fled the scene in order to dodge being breathalysed - what has nevertheless been completely proved beyond all doubt is that Lee Hughes caused death by dangerous driving and then disgracefully left the scene of the incident.

Hughes told the police that he had been drinking Jack Daniels before the incident. As the prosecution said during the trial: "Had he been drinking? The answer to that is, yes, because when interviewed, he said to the police that he had."

The judge said that Hughes had a "callous disregard" for the four passengers in the Renault car that he crashed into. I hope you're not trying to suggest that Hughes is a little sweetie who had been drinking orange juice in the pub before getting into his car ?

Douglas Graham died from the injuries he received in the crash, while his wife Maureen was severely injured. She died a year later after never recovering from internal injuries. Albert Frisby spent three months in hospital after the crash and was confined to a wheelchair for several months afterwards. (He now struggles to walk with the aid of a stick.) Albert told the court how he saw Hughes's Mercedes car approaching on the wrong side of the road. "I saw the headlights coming towards me. I said to my friend in the front: 'Look at this mad b******, he must be doing 60mph' and the next thing I knew he had got me."

Do you think that Hughes would have been driving at 60 mph on the wrong side of the road if he had been drinking orange juice ?

Personally I feel that Oldham's deal to sign Hughes is deeply insulting to the victims of this terrible incident. How would other board members personally feel if one of your family members had been killed or confined to a wheelchair through the actions of a footballer driving like a madman - somebody who then left the scene of the incident, showing a "callous disregard" for the passengers in the car. Would you be happy for Lee Hughes to be welcomed with open arms by a professional League One football club ?

As Albert Frisby told the Birmingham Mail last week: "Is that really justice when he left us for dead? My life is ruined as I can't get about much now. I used to raise cash for various charities but I can't do that now. I am stuck in the house and my wife has to do everything for me. What happened is a living nightmare."

The despicable and loathsome Lee Hughes is set to be released from jail three years early. He's still able to earn very good wages and live in a nice big luxury house playing professional football. Douglas and Maureen Graham are now dead thanks to Hughes's behaviour. Do you think that is justice for the Graham family ?

Oldham Football Club say that Hughes "deserves a second chance". But the Graham family don't get a second chance do they ?

_39532812_leehughes203b.jpg

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Without replying, as I know all the facts in the case, just a point as I am aware of a forum who received a lovely letter for statements about him being imprisoned for drink driving, he was not convicted of that. Sadly.

But well done for the rest of the cut and paste job. For the record I agree with your sentiments on him. He is an odious little man.

Edited by stuwilky

Oldham Football Club say that Hughes "deserves a second chance". But the Graham family don't get a second chance do they ?

So what do you suggest? Capital punishment? What were people expecting, him never to be let out?

It sounds like the guy has done his time, behaved himself and is now coming out the other side. Sure the jail term has been too lenient, but that can't be blamed on Lee Hughes.

What he did was horrendous and in my opinion he should've been given a sentence so substantially longer that he would've been too old to play professional football by the time he was released. That aside, would the feelings be so anti-Lee Hughes if he wasn't a mega-rich footballer?

Punishments for all driving offences are too lenient, especially when you consider the number of road deaths per year.

However, causing death by dangerous driving can be caused by you sneezing at the wrong time, dropping a drinks bottle and other small things leading to some poor sod getting killed.

All drivers should be aware that they are only a second away from killing someone, however long they've been driving.

On a related note, well done the guy in the Toyota I saw on the M5 this morning, who's SatNav must have obscured the view of the left hand side of the road. as it was at just below the rear view mirror and wasnt a small one. Very safe

Oh by the way, I was only trying to look at it from a different angle. I personally think drink-drivers are prats who should be banned from driving for at least 5 years regardless of there being any accidents, and they should be treated harshly if there is. there is no excuse for it when its common knowledge that alcohol affects judgement.

Punishments for all driving offences are too lenient, especially when you consider the number of road deaths per year.

Nonsense . The vast majority of punishments for driving offences are far too draconian - it's only the very serious ones that could and do result in accidents that are too lenient . But that's the trouble with the British justice system as a whole - no sense of perspective ....

Anyway , Flops ; the prisons are full ....we have to let the likes of Hughes out early to fill the cells with the single mothers who haven't paid their TV licences .... :unsure:

Could be worse: Pitcher for the St Louis Cardinals was drunk driving and crashed into a tow truck that was helping a stranded motorist.

Said pitcher's father is not only suing the bar for serving him too much alcohol, but the stranded motorist and tow truck driver for not clearing the accident sooner...

• 8 months later...

Two loathsome individuals, two disgusting goal celebrations....

It was a cold Saturday night at the beginning of December. Outside the wind was blowing fiercely and the rain was lashing down. It wasn't a night for going out. I settled down in my favourite armchair with a cup of hot chocolate and a cornish wafer with a thin slice of cheddar cheese to watch Match Of The Day.

It was nice to see the goals again in Rovers' 3-1 win over Newcastle at Ewood. After highlights of the rest of the Premiership matches, Gary Lineker then announced that "before we leave you, here are the goals from today's FA Cup 2nd round ties played today".

Horsham managed to get a draw against Swansea, while Havant & Waterlooville pulled off a shock by beating Notts County. And then he came on. I was unprepared for this monster invading my television screen. He might have been suitable for the midnight horror movie, but not on Match Of The Day. Oldham were playing Crewe and the voiceover said that Lee Hughes "who had been booed throughout the day by Crewe fans scored the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win for Oldham."

I was less than happy when I saw Hughes's goal celebration afterwards. The Brummie thug and cowardly dangerous driver decided to dance a provocative jig in front of the Crewe fans who had been booing him earlier in the match (boos which were wholly justifiable in my view after the disgraceful conduct of Hughes a few years ago).

I was disgusted that this man was on my TV screen smirking and grinning, waving his hands up and down in the air and doing his best to incite the crowd by dancing a provocative jig in front of the Crewe fans. It was a type of "up yours" dance from Hughes. He was metaphorically sticking two fingers up not only at the Crewe fans but also sticking two fingers up at the millions of people up and down the country who were appalled with his actions on the night when he ran away from a crash that had killed a passenger and severely injured another.

Let's not forget that the judge in the case said that Hughes had a "callous disregard" for the four people in the car that he had crashed into. Hughes didn't give a damn about the fact that he had caused such dreadful injuries. All this selfish brat cared about was himself.

People like Lee Hughes make me sick. How could he be so callous and selfish? His actions that night were despicable. Afterwards, the Brummie lout didn't have the decency to offer an apology to the victims, but instead decided to appeal against his prison sentence. In the end he only served three years of his six year sentence, before being freed early. West Brom rightly terminated his contract. Sadly Oldham, to their eternal shame, decided to employ this man's services and pay him a large weekly wage.

I went to bed on that Saturday night in December feeling irritated and quite disgusted that I'd seen Hughes smirking and dancing on Match Of The Day. I felt violated that this man had been on my TV screen and was upset to think of how the families of the victims in Hughes's crime would feel if they had seen him dancing provocatively in this way.

The second loathsome creature I would like to tell you about is Everton midfielder Tim Cahill's brother Sean.

Sean Cahill is a sickening thug. CCTV cameras captured Sean kicking a guy in the head so hard as he lay on the floor that the victim was left partially blinded, semi-conscious and was bleeding heavily. Detective Constable Will Hope described the attack as "brutal and terrifying".

Sean Cahill was jailed in January this year for grievous bodily harm with intent. You would think that his brother Tim would be ashamed of his brother's actions and would be publicly saying how sorry he is for the guy that was left partially blinded in the brutal assault.

But instead, to his shame, the Aussie midfielder decided during Sunday's match against Portsmouth to dedicate a goal to his thuggish brother Sean. Tim grinned as he crossed his wrists as if he had been handcuffed.

_44464422_cahill_270getty.jpg

Does Tim Cahill not have any compassion or sensitivity towards the victim and his family? Does Tim not give a damn about the victims of other appalling acts of violence from drink-fuelled thugs who randomly attack people in the street?

I'd like Tim Cahill to visit a local hospital on a Saturday night and see for himself the injuries that some people suffer at the hands of violent thugs on a night out.

I'm extremely disappointed with Tim and very disappointed that Everton FC have not condemned his highly insensitive goal celebration. If I was David Moyes I would be fining Cahill two weeks wages and giving the money to the hospital which treated the guy who was brutally kicked in the head by his brother Sean.

Link: "Lee Hughes wrecked our lives," says passenger

And then he came on. I was unprepared for this monster invading my television screen. He might have been suitable for the midnight horror movie, but not on Match Of The Day.

Classic stuff.

I'm not fond of Lee Hughes in the slightest, but he's not the first person to have fled the scene of an accident (probably due to panic) then turn himself in the next day.

I don't understand what your complaint is about Hughes in all of that to be honest. Do you not believe he should have been allowed to resume his career even after he'd finished his sentence?

Sadly Oldham, to their eternal shame, decided to employ this man's services and pay him a large weekly wage.

So people who have been in jail shouldn't be allowed to work on there release?

As for the booing, if he had been playing for Crewe the Crewe fans wouldn't have been booing... you know what football fans are like!

As for Cahill I 100% agree that he should not have done that in support of his brother, the Hughes 'incident' had nothing to do with his crime but clearly Cahill's did.

Cahill is an Aussie Knob of the highest order. That may upset some of our down under friends and for that I apologise but Cahill is an example of what is wrong with our society.

I used to like Cahill as a player. I've now lost a lot of respect for him after his goal celebration on Sunday, which was out of order. I'm also very disappointed that David Moyes has not condemned Cahill for it.

I don't understand what your complaint is about Hughes in all of that to be honest.

Firstly I feel that Hughes should have served his full six-year prison sentence rather than being freed three years early. New Labour's "tough on crime" promise ringing hollow again.

Secondly, no, I don't believe that Oldham FC should have employed him after his incredibly reckless selfish actions - where in the judge's words he showed a "callous disregard" for the victims.

We're not talking about a guy who failed to pay for a parking ticket or went 5mph above the speed limit. We're not talking about a guy who stole sweets from Woolworths when he was a kid. Lee Hughes was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and of selfishly running away from the scene - clearly a very serious crime in most people's books.

When Oldham welcomed Lee Hughes to Boundary Park, I feel that Oldham FC insulted not only the victims in Hughes's case, but it was also a kick in the teeth for the families of other road crash victims who may have lost loved ones in accidents or suffered serious disabilities for the rest of their lives.

Thirdly, I would question the statement of the Oldham chairman who when Hughes came to the club said that "Everybody deserves a second chance".

So literally every odious criminal on the planet deserves a second chance? What if Lee Hughes had been a child rapist who had served a prison sentence for raping a little girl, would the Oldham chairman still be saying that "everybody deserves a second chance"?

What if Lee Hughes, like Joey Barton's brother, had attacked a black guy with an axe - smashing an axe into somebody's skull - would the Oldham chairman still be saying "everybody deserves a second chance"?

Why is it that the Oldham chairman believes in welcoming with open arms to the club somebody who, through his selfish actions, killed a man and left another severely disabled.

JFHC:

Do you wake up in the middle of the night screaming because you still haven't got that reporter's job at The Daily Mail?

You need to learn to take it easy mate.

Could be worse: Pitcher for the St Louis Cardinals was drunk driving and crashed into a tow truck that was helping a stranded motorist.

Said pitcher's father is not only suing the bar for serving him too much alcohol, but the stranded motorist and tow truck driver for not clearing the accident sooner...

That just shows how far the "sue everyone for everything" culture has descended down the mad spiral to ultimate madness. We wont be far behind in this country either if the politicians don't wake up soon and put a stop to it.

I'm just happy that our lot only have babies to rock when they score a goal!

That said, I am sure Derb's pointing at an imaginary wrist watch as he encouraged the team to celebrate the goal in front of the Rovers supporters contributed to Rob Styles' 5 minutes added time at St James' Park on Saturday!

I usually disagree with AESF on most things - and that piece he wrote is more than a little hysterical - but I think he is right about Hughes. First off he shouldn't have been released early - he killed somebody - and secondly he shouldn't play a high profile sport like football after leaving prison. You should pay for your mistakes.

I am all for rehabilitation but it just seems a bit perverse that he is now out playing in front of thousands. By all means let him rebuild his life, but not so soon in the public eye.

Secondly, no, I don't believe that Oldham FC should have employed him after his incredibly reckless selfish actions - where in the judge's words he showed a "callous disregard" for the victims.

We're not talking about a guy who failed to pay for a parking ticket or went 5mph above the speed limit. We're not talking about a guy who stole sweets from Woolworths when he was a kid. Lee Hughes was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and of selfishly running away from the scene - clearly a very serious crime in most people's books.

When Oldham welcomed Lee Hughes to Boundary Park, I feel that Oldham FC insulted not only the victims in Hughes's case, but it was also a kick in the teeth for the families of other road crash victims who may have lost loved ones in accidents or suffered serious disabilities for the rest of their lives.

So people, once released from Prison are not allowed to work and earn a wage? Therefore becoming a greater drain on society by having to be on the dole? In my opinion Hughes should be donating a percentage of his wage to charity's supporting victims of road accidents

Thirdly, I would question the statement of the Oldham chairman who when Hughes came to the club said that "Everybody deserves a second chance".

So literally every odious criminal on the planet deserves a second chance? What if Lee Hughes had been a child rapist who had served a prison sentence for raping a little girl, would the Oldham chairman still be saying that "everybody deserves a second chance"?

What if Lee Hughes, like Joey Barton's brother, had attacked a black guy with an axe - smashing an axe into somebody's skull - would the Oldham chairman still be saying "everybody deserves a second chance"?

Why is it that the Oldham chairman believes in welcoming with open arms to the club somebody who, through his selfish actions, killed a man and left another severely disabled.

Because he was convicted for death by dangerous driving, not murder, or child abuse or rape, but dont let that get in the way of another rant. Hughes might or might not have been drunk when he crashed, we dont know, we can guess, but cant be certain. People drive fast, people have admitted to speeding on this board and you know what, if they are speeding they are just as likely to cause an accident which might seriously injure someone. Why? BECAUSE THE FASTER YOU GO THE LONGER IT TAKES TO REACT, FOR THE VEHICLE TO STOP AND THE MORE ENERGY YOU WILL PASS TO WHOEVER YOU HIT. There are also issues on people misjudging oncoming speed and pulling out in front of you. Their fault, but if you were going slower, you'ld be able to stop in time or at least reduce the impact damage.

Don't mind Hughes too much because he admitted wrong and went back after the panic and even though it was wrong to run away and an act of cowardness he went back and handed himself in so its not asif he ran away and got found by the police is it?

Its unforgiving taking someones life away but hes paid the price as hes done his time and weather or not you think it should be longer dosent matter becuase he served the time what the judge said and don't you think Hughes is remided every day that hes killed someone? Thats like mental tortue, he lost his own family that day because his wife divorced him in prison and left with his kid.

ASEF are you close to your brother? because if you are you will no doubt know that you depend on them sometimes, need there help and have a love for them so you support them whatever they are going through weather its prison or cancer, and Cahill was showing his support for his brother and il be dammed to be told weather this is wrong because i dont think it is.

Sean Cahill commited an vicous attack and hes probably sorry now but hes no better or worse than you or i, hes a human at the end of the day and we all make mistakes weather its cutting your finger with a knife or taking someones life you make mistakes and more often than not your punished for them.

But tell me if Sean Cahill was the guy getting attacked and Tim Cahill celebrated by pointing to the sky etc and praying to god would you say awwwww Cahill thats a well nice gesture? You probably would.

So whats the difference between what he actually did and that, because imo the is nothing hed be showing support for his brother.

Edited by Dunnfc

So whats the But tell me if Sean Cahill was the guy getting attacked and Tim Cahill celebrated by pointing to the sky etc and praying to god would you say awwwww Cahill thats a well nice gesture? You probably would.

How on Earth is that relevant?!

Edited by Tugay4England

Agree with the post Smithy but bloody hell>>

I settled down in my favourite armchair with a cup of hot chocolate and a cornish wafer with a thin slice of cheddar cheese to watch Match Of The Day.

I've never read the posts of a man in so dire need of a good shag in all my life. PM your address and I'll personally pay for Birkenhead slapper to pay you a visit :lol:

Don't mind Hughes too much because he admitted wrong and went back after the panic and even though it was wrong to run away and an act of cowardness he went back and handed himself in so its not asif he ran away and got found by the police is it?

Its unforgiving taking someones life away but hes paid the price as hes done his time and weather or not you think it should be longer dosent matter becuase he served the time what the judge said and don't you think Hughes is remided every day that hes killed someone? Thats like mental tortue, he lost his own family that day because his wife divorced him in prison and left with his kid.

ASEF are you close to your brother? because if you are you will no doubt know that you depend on them sometimes, need there help and have a love for them so you support them whatever they are going through weather its prison or cancer, and Cahill was showing his support for his brother and il be dammed to be told weather this is wrong because i dont think it is.

Sean Cahill commited an vicous attack and hes probably sorry now but hes no better or worse than you or i, hes a human at the end of the day and we all make mistakes weather its cutting your finger with a knife or taking someones life you make mistakes and more often than not your punished for them.

But tell me if Sean Cahill was the guy getting attacked and Tim Cahill celebrated by pointing to the sky etc and praying to god would you say awwwww Cahill thats a well nice gesture? You probably would.

So whats the difference between what he actually did and that, because imo the is nothing hed be showing support for his brother.

:wacko:

whether its prison or cancer.......................I don't think I'd support anyone through prison the same way through cancer. Ridiculous comparison

Agree with the post Smithy but bloody hell>>

I've never read the posts of a man in so dire need of a good shag in all my life. PM your address and I'll personally pay for Birkenhead slapper to pay you a visit :lol:

The cheddar cheese butty I was eating is now decorating the office.

That should have come with an ROFL warning!

Cahill was showing his support for his brother and il be dammed to be told weather this is wrong because i dont think it is.

It's one thing showing support for your brother in private amongst your family, but such behaviour in front of thousands of people in support of a common thug is wrong and a disgrace under these particular circumstances. If it was in support of his brother being ill as you suggest then of course that would be OK... completely different.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.