SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lee Hughes Jailed For 6 Years

den

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think anyone's amused by the death of those poor kids, just the normal hysterical over reaction of Smithy and his attempt to claim that racism wasnt a problem that had to be dealt with.

Edited by Flopsy

Are you having a laugh or do you walk around with your eyes shut?

Footballers are role models but not in every aspect of their lives. Like I said, have any of the alleged domestic violence offences committed by footy players genuinely affected such behaviour amongst the wider public?

A footballer should not be judged any differently than anyone else when it comes to drink driving, imo. (That doesn't mean they haven't behaved absolutely despicably).

Smithy, surely it shouldnt just be footballers who deserve your ire? Or is it just because they make the news?

Drunk driving, driving with out undue care, no insurance, if its true I hope they throw th ebook at him, not because he's a footballer, because he's a menace on the roads.

I'm glad you used the words "if it's true" , Flopsy ........I don't think he's been found guilty yet .

I'm surprised you're having a go at AESF (again) on this issue - particularly given your own tendency to go on at great length about the dangers of speeding and dangerous driving . Maybe it's just out of habit - or to use your own words "......just the normal hysterical over-reaction " :rolleyes:

A few thoughts on the matter having had access to a little bit more information about the incident.

Fact - he was over the drink driving limit (otherwise he wouldnt have been charged)

Fact - 2 little boys were killed in the ensuing accident

Fact - there are independent witnesses that give evidence about his manner of driving

Fact - he had no insurance

and now the worst of all

maximum sentence if he pleads guilty 5yrs but probable sentence 2yrs (based on recent caselaw).

Now can someone please explain how the lives of those two little boys are worth that much :angry:

Cowering like a coward, with no hint of an apology for his alleged drink driving....

7149EE9D-FAF0-8D71-4F165C815ACDE8E1.jpg

A court heard yesterday that Plymouth keeper Luke McCormick was swerving across the motorway and more than twice the legal alcohol limit when he crashed into a car which killed two boys on the M6.

Fenton magistrates yesterday sent the case to the crown court, with McCormick released on conditional bail to appear next on June 16th at Stoke-on-Trent crown court. He's been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol and having no insurance.

Nick Price, prosecuting, told Fenton magistrates: "There were two cars involved. The collision had devastating consequences. The defendant's car was seen to be swerving several times on the motorway. The defendant was more than twice the legal limit, with an alcohol reading of 74 against a limit of 35."

The Toyota car belonging to the boys father plunged down an embankment and into trees after McCormick's Range Rover collided with it. "No parent should have to go through the nightmare we've gone through," said the boys mother Amanda.

But Luke McCormick's main concern yesterday seemed to be trying to cover his face with a hooded top to avoid being photographed. The Plymouth keeper, who earns a reported £4,000 a week or £208,000 a year for the Championship side in Devon, offered no apology for the crash on Saturday.

For legal reasons I should point out that at the moment he has not yet been proven guilty - but if McCormick is found guilty at crown court I hope he will have the decency to meet the boys parents face-to-face and apologise for the reckless selfish actions which have killed two boys.

McCormick can't cower under a hooded top forever. Sooner or later he needs to face up to the consequences of his alleged drink driving and dangerous driving when he was allegedly swerving on the M6. I hope he is suitably ashamed of himself.

maximum sentence if he pleads guilty 5yrs but probable sentence 2yrs (based on recent caselaw).

Now can someone please explain how the lives of those two little boys are worth that much :angry:

It sickens me that Lee Hughes only served 3 years of his six-year prison sentence. When an innocent life is deemed to be worth only two or three years in prison, it's a sad indictment of our criminal justice system.

Tougher sentences would at least act as a deterrent and might protect other innocent lives from being lost to dangerous reckless drink drivers on the roads. But our prisons are overcrowded and the Man of Straw - Blackburn MP Jack - is busy releasing criminals early in his role as Justice Secretary.

A very sad state of affairs. What about justice for the victims of crime, Mr Straw?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"A cynical scheme to get other footballers off their motoring fines"

_44538189_shaun_newton_203.jpg

The chap above is the former West Ham and Charlton midfielder Shaun Newton, who has been given a 28-week suspended prison sentence, 180 hours of community service and a 12-month driving ban for his part in what a judge called "a cynical scheme to bypass the speeding ticket procedure".

The court heard that Newton offered to get rid of speeding tickets given to Teddy Sheringham and Bobby Zamora. Sheringham paid Newton £250 and Zamora paid Newton £300 to avoid punishment for speeding.

A friend of Newton then dealt with Sheringham and Zamora's motoring tickets by claiming fictitious drivers were at the wheel when the fines were issued, and providing his stepfather's address in Wembley, preventing the real driver from being traced.

Newton has been found guilty of nine charges connected with the scam. The judge told Newton: "The aggravating feature is I find as a fact that you charged them for it. I don't believe for a moment your protestations to the contrary."

Is this another example of wealthy footballers thinking they are above the law and that they can do what they like?

A link to this story is below:

Newton guilty of speeding ticket scam

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Forget his name now.

The player who failed to attend Barton's court case.

Fined 2k not even 10% of his weeks earnings. should have been at least 10k.

If that was Joe Bloggs it would have been at least 1-200 quid.

I don't no many Joe Bloggs earning 1-2k a week

Edited by 67splitscreen

Forget his name now.

The player who failed to attend Barton's court case.

Fined 2k not even 10% of his weeks earnings. should have been at least 10k.

If that was Joe Bloggs it would have been at least 1-200 quid.

I don't no many Joe Bloggs earning 1-2k a week

Sylvain Distin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.