SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Gray

ally

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised to see the number of people here slating Gray for having been drunk. There was no reason why he couldn't drink. He wasn't in the squad that weekend and had no matches for a week. I'm glad he chose that weekend to go out and get sloshed. Would be a different matter if it really was in the middle of a busy spell with games the next day or so but it wasn't the case so we should give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he wasn't harming the teams cause by getting drunk.

There is every reason why a professional sportsman should NEVER drink to excess.

If he were drunk, the club should fine hin the maximum allowed.

If that was possible, there would be a lot of premiership players who never get paid.

Over half a million people a year get injured in the USA because they were drunk. 100,000 Britons a year get injured because they got themselves drunk. Drunkenness results in long lasting physical and mental impairment. And in Mickey Gray's case to Rooney's right hook.

Frankly, what the hell are Rovers doing paying a professional athlete hundreds of thousands a year if he is a complete non-professional?

OK he can get drunk but get paid like a drunk. Put him on a student's grant.

Edited by philipl

• 1 month later...

No idea Philip, I must have been drunk myself! Anyway it's not good for you, which is why I'm knocking it on the head. Gray should as well, rumours of his drinking started at Sunderland and seem to have finally led to Hughes refusing to consider him again. As was seen by McEveley getting the starting left-back place on Wednesday.

Maybe if Mickey Gray had knocked it on the head sooner he wouldn't being linked with a loan move.

Gray for England?

Nope...Gray for Leeds

Vital Football think Andy Todd is on his way out too...

Gray should as well, rumours of his drinking started at Sunderland and seem to have finally led to Hughes refusing to consider him again. As was seen by McEveley getting the starting left-back place on Wednesday.

A couple of friends of mine went to watch a Durham cricket match shortly after he missed the penalty in the playoffs that kept Sunderland down. Gray was there pie eyed causing allsorts of problems. Allegedly. Could that miss still haunt him?

A couple of friends of mine went to watch a Durham cricket match shortly after he missed the penalty in the playoffs that kept Sunderland down. Gray was there pie eyed causing allsorts of problems. Allegedly. Could that miss still haunt him?

Haunt? Do you not think people have missed more important penalties, shots, chances and not seen their careers deteriorate since?

Did you see his the other day on roverstv, he looks attrocious? I've seen people look better after a weekend long bender!

He's finished in the top flight anyway, but definitely at Rovers. Same with Todd, if Hughes wasnt going to play them Wednesday then he isnt going to play them again.

Edited by key76

Mickey Gray has a habit of returning from the doldrums to reclaim his first team spot. I won't be surprised if he does it again.

as does andy todd.

anyway, he's off.... and, from the man himself, :---- "everton have made enquiries."

he gets on well with my brother, before any1 asks.

• 2 years later...

From Gray's BBC blog about the recent Steel Derby.

I felt quite relaxed in the tunnel and had a bit of a laugh with my old team-mates from Blackburn, Keith Treacy and Andy Taylor, asking if they were nervous. Keith looks like he's just got out of bed every time I see him so I asked if he had brushed his hair with a toffee apple, to which he replied: "Shut it, old man."

From Gray's BBC blog about the recent Steel Derby.

I felt quite relaxed in the tunnel and had a bit of a laugh with my old team-mates from Blackburn, Keith Treacy and Andy Taylor, asking if they were nervous. Keith looks like he's just got out of bed every time I see him so I asked if he had brushed his hair with a toffee apple, to which he replied: "Shut it, old man."

That is exactly what I posted yesterday in the loanees thread :rolleyes:

here

Whilst going to see some latest European scores on the BBC site, noticed there was a blog by Michael Gray. Well written, and during a mention of some of the clubs he's played for.....

Then it was Blackburn Rovers - probably the best time of my career. It felt like I had found that great team spirit again. Gary Flitcroft, Robbie Savage, Craig Short, David Thompson and Steven Reid were there, to name a few.

What a laugh we used to have. Not only the players but staff too. All the way through the club the atmosphere was great. The philosophy was to come into work with a smile on your face and leave with the same smile.

I worked under two great managers in Graeme Souness and Mark Hughes and I learned so much from both. They could both still play a bit as well when they joined in during training sessions. I played there for four years and our most successful year was when we finished sixth in the Premier League and got to the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup.

It was great playing with the likes of Benni McCarthy, David Bentley and the maestro Tugay - what a player he was!

Some of the quotes from the start of this thread are classic

.surely micheal gray is one of the top 3 english left backs in country.

You kind of went on to answer your own question anyway, but he'll be behind Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge and J'Lloyd Samuel in the pecking order for left back, I guess Phil Neville will also be ahead of him although I wouldn't do that myself.

Bridge, Cole, Samuel, Carragher, P.Neville, Le Saux and Parnaby I think are infront of Gray for that left back spot for England...

Maybe Thompson and Stead can be included in the England squad if they perform well this season...

Hindsight is definately 20/20

More Rovers-related things in Gray's blog.

He has named his best XI from players he has played with, Friedel and Tugay are included. He actually goes on to describe Tugay as the best player he's ever played with, and includes a little story which confirms his infamous smoking habit (if it even needed confirming).

Interesting that he has Yorke on the bench given that I think they only time he played with him was during his stay here.

Edited by LeChuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.