BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal 3 Rovers 0

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to a friend from Arsenal last night who was at the match and he had some interesting comments about the Rovers and where they're going...

He said that Rovers used to be his second favourite team and were probably one of the most exciting sides in the Premiership with Dunn, Duff, Cole, Jansen, and Thompson all able to create and provide a bit of flair and imagination going forward. I'm sure everyone on here would love to see that team line up for Rovers again, but it's all in the past...

Now we're seen as bottom half also-rans scraping for Premiership status. For Dunn read Matteo, for Jansen read Dickov, for Duff read Gresko, etc. You can tell the difference even on these messageboards: a couple of years back we would have been relishing the Arsenal match and had a genuine optimism with a belief that we would be able to get at least a draw at Highbury. Looking back at the posts from the previous week now, the pessimism and lack of belief in the team is all too apparent.

However, with our full-strength lineup back and fit there is a bit of optimism and with midfield/attack comprising of Thompson, Ferguson, Tugay, Pedersen (if he signs), Stead, and Gallagher, I think all is not lost. I just want us to ditch this "battling" lineup that Souness is hell-bent on playing and get back to the flowing football that brought us a bit of success (and respect) in the first place.

So very true. sad.gif

Jansen was involved in the new shirt launch yesterday and did a radio interview.

It was quite sad really. MJ thought it was still possible to get involved with the squad-and he mentioned the Yorke situation. He said he was lacking confidence and needed to play 1/2/3 games and take it from there. He hadn't been to see Souness about it, though.( Radio Lancs)

Lets remember one thing about Arsenal - this is probably one of the best teams ever. They have pace and flair that has taken teams far better than Rovers to the cleaners.

We held them for the first half - did they play poor deliberately, or was it a clever game plan by GS which denied them the space to operate ?

As soon as we went a goal down - I think we all knew that was it - they are the best team in the league by a fair margin. And by a huge margin excluding the top three sides.

For me the one thing that we miss that Arsenal have is pace. Personally I would like to see Emerton given a run in the centre - with Thompson wide right. It might sound daft - but he would add that bit of pace down the centre that we sadly lack. Add Pedersen (hopefully he has some pace) - and we should be getting there wink.gif

We were abysmal tonight and looked as if we didn't care.

Nothing new there then.

What a load of crap you 2 talk. Arsenal have just won 4-1 away from home to continue a world record run, yet your supprised we lose!?

The players gave everything in the 90mins and managed to hold them in that 1st half. In the 2nd they were too good, however many other teams have failed also.

Can you two muppets stop moaning and get behind the Rovers.

Btw, Emerton put in 100% and was 1 of our best players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.