BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bobby Robson Relieved Of His Duties

Brilliant AESF.

Absolutely spot on.

Why has Newcastle United had such an odious set of Chairmen. From one-eyed Lord Westwood through Hall to the utterly unsavoury FF, they have dragged the toon army through more dirt than Bowyer, Dyer, Bellamy and Woodgate are collectively capable of imagining.

The seedy end of the Bigg Market ends in the St James' Boardroom.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may not be pleasant characters but Shepherd, like Rupert Lowe at Southampton, should be applauded for taking swift action for poor results by removing underperforming managers.

The Rovers board may be happy to start the season with a "haul" of two points from 12 but at most other clubs Souness would have walked the plank by now.

With one day to go before the transfer window closes until January, I find it hard to believe that Souness thinks that the present squad is good enough to keep Rovers in the Premiership.

I notice that West Brom, who have made some very astute buys this summer, strengthened their squad further today by signing the excellent Robert Earnshaw from Cardiff.

After their traumatic season two years ago, West Brom look much stronger this time around and I expect them to stay up with ease. Palace and Norwich have weak squads, but of the rest, I would say ours is the worst.

The league table does not lie: Souness got lucky last season when he pulled a rabbit called Stead out of the hat who saved us from relegation. I doubt if he can pull off the trick a second time.

But jim, going by your view of when a manager should be sacked, no one would keep their job for more than a year or two. You can't fire someone because of a bad stretch... sure Toon got off to a rough start this year, but Sir Bobby has yet to disappoint the Geordie public during his tenure there--so why the sudden decision that he will now? Either Fat Freddy has divine foresight, or he's had a vendetta against Robson from the beginning.

Also, realize that with the parameters you've set for when to fire a manager, Alex Ferguson should also be out of a job after managing a measly five points from four matches, including draws with us and Everton.

They may not be pleasant characters but Shepherd, like Rupert Lowe at Southampton, should be applauded for taking swift action for poor results by removing underperforming managers.

Intereting but not at all surprising that you would support two such odious characters. Both are clueless about football and are quite rightly viewed as parasytes by most.

You applaud them for swift action but if they knew anything they would have sacked the managers in the summer rather then causing further problems by letting them start the season. Rather like yourself they are clearly just puddled and i'm just glad we don't have to suffer their ilk.

I read the report in the Daily Telegraph after I knew that Robson had been sacked.

"If Robson is no longer the right man, the nettle should have been grapsed by the indecisive Freddie Shepherd during the summer recess...........If at 71 , for all his wisdom, Robson is not able to maintain empathy with 18 to 23 year-olds- a not unreasonable assessment-that situation was no different in June.

Newcastle transparently need a new central defender. And why? Because they sold Jonathan Woodgate. Whose decision was that? Kluivert,so gifted,but so errant off the field, was riskily handed , on a free transfer, the keys to the Bank of England.Why?

After years of boardroom mismanagement, Shepherd should be examining his own credentials."

There is more to the report but I thought this was interesting as was the article in the Sunday Telegraph about Robson and Shearer(Can you do me a link,Alan?)

I consider this bad news for the Souness out camp (myself not a part of it). Now there are 2 vacancies, and if Souness were to be let go, we'd be fighting with Soton and Newcastle for the few decent available prospects.

(Cue Souness Out brigade screaming, we must fire him now before they get the good managers, like they would pick us over them anyhow.)

Well he's proved his level of loyalty during his stints at Wigan and Palace, hasn't he? Plus the fact that it takes two improved five year contracts in the space of a single year before Brum are confident of keeping him. I can't abide the man at all.

Well he's proved his level of loyalty during his stints at Wigan and Palace, hasn't he?

And Sheffield United and Huddersfield Town.

Speaking of Huddersfield, the manager he replaced as a part of the "Ruberry Revolution" that ultimately almost sent the club out of business was Peter Jackson and he's back in charge of the Terriers.

His track record is as follows...

He first took over at Huddersfield 3rd Oct 1997 when they were 24th in Div 1 with just 5 points from 9 games. He guided the club to safety that season, finishing a creditable 16th with 53 points.

The year after (98/99), Jackson took Huddersfield to their highest finish in many a year, 10th in Division One before being sacked as local moneybags 'supporter' Barry Ruberry decided a Big Name was needed at the club - the aforementioned Steve Bruce.

After a few years turmoil for Huddersfield, Peter Jackson returned as manager before the start of the 2003/04 season to see the club emerge from administration but down in Division 3 with only 7 players on the books. Jackson subsequently lead the team to the brink of automatic promotion before missing out on the last regular day of the season, although they did get their just rewards at Cardiff in the playoffs. Along the way, Jackson and his back room staff focussed heavily in the youth system, and we know one of the products quite well.

Huddersfield are currently adjusting merrily to life back in Div 2.

Now if Souey was to go, and the club was scouring the lower divisions for a manager, we could do a lot worse than Peter Jackson.

S*ccernet is reporting that Shearer himself is favourite to take the job!

Shearer, in his last season as a player and who has been working towards UEFA coaching qualifications, is favourite to succeed Robson, with former Newcastle and England players Chris Waddle and Paul Gascoigne among those to push his claims.

Can he manage Newcastle AND play for Rovers dry.gif.

I have absolutely nothing against Newcastle as a place, their fans (apart from the violent gits) or the team, but I really hope the whole thing goes nips up for them now.

Freddie Sheppard (think I've got the right Freddie there) really is an odious little s0d.

I think the whole premise (spend far too much money for starters) has got the whiff of disaster about it. And I think Bobby is well off out of it. The way he's been treated is nothing short of disgraceful.

An appalling way to treat a real gentleman of the game.

Bobby lives, breathes and eats football, and will be devastated by his sacking.

Robson will be remembered in the game long after the odious Shepherd has gone.

3 comments that sum up my feelings on the whole thing. Nice one AESF.

An appalling way to treat a real gentleman of the game.

Bobby lives, breathes and eats football, and will be devastated by his sacking.

Robson will be remembered in the game long after the odious Shepherd has gone.

3 comments that sum up my feelings on the whole thing. Nice one AESF.

Absolutely agree. The way this gentleman has been treated is nothing short of digraceful. I now hope that Newcastle are relegated and Shepherd ousted.

I can't believe I'm reading this copiously sentimental and downright ignorant pontificating on this board. I thought people on this board knew about football.

Get over Bobby Robson and his gentleman status and his grandfather persona and the mildly amusing and endearing stories about his bad memory.

Football is a harsh business, so let's look at the facts.

Christian Bassedas, Clarence Acuna, Carl Cort, Titus Bramble, Robbie Elliot, Lee Bowyer, Diego Gavilan - a flavour of the troglydyte footballers that Robson has wasted millions and millions on.

Now let's look at Jenas, Darren Ambrose, Ameobi, Dyer - one time exciting prospects, just how much have they developed as players under Robson's tutelage? In some cases, how much have they regressed?

There is a reason why a lot of Geordies wanted Robson out. Perhaps, it could have happened in a more dignified manner - but boy are they glad it's happened sooner rather than later. It's too easy, as fans of a different club who aren't ofay with the REAL goings on, to lean back and condemn Shepherd for axing that 'nice, old bloke who did well for England in 1990.'

Instead of just reading an article in the papers and spouting it word for word, why can't you come up with an opnion of your own.

The fact that Robson has gone is not what has upset many, including a lot of 'geordies'. The fact is that Shepherd knows little about football yet has given Robson another year, then gone behind him and sold their only decent defender. He was also behind the moves for Rooney a man they don't even need and also announced this season would definitely be Robson's last.

The main problem there is dressing room unrest caused by the chairman. Yet once again some of the plonkers on here praise the chairman for making a brave decision. It's because of that chairman that the problems are there in the first place.

Oh and that list which is word for word from the papers missed out Viana, yet how Bowyer and Elliott two free transfers can be bad buys is beyond me. Jenas has clearly come on under Robson as has Ameobi.

I happen to think that Robson has taken them as far as he can and should have gone in the summer but the way it has been done is pathetic.

Instead of just reading an article in the papers and spouting it word for word, why can't you come up with an opnion of your own.

I haven't read any paper, so I don't know what you're on about.

The only reason people are condemning the move is because Bobby Robson is old, English and a media favourite.

I'm sure Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas, and I'm sure they, 'lived and breathed football,' so did they deserve the sack?

If there was a post-Robson like collective mourning for them, I missed it.

I'm sure Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas, and I'm sure they, 'lived and breathed football,' so did they deserve the sack?

Neither of those took the club from the brink of relegation to a 3rd, 4th and 5th place finish. He's also built a team for the future with young talented players.

I haven't read any paper, so I don't know what you're on about.

The only reason people are condemning the move is because Bobby Robson is old, English and a media favourite.

If there was a post-Robson like collective mourning for them, I missed it.

Must just be a coincidence then that it was word for word a repeat of an article i'd seen. Anyway I digress the fact is you're still wrong. Most people are bemoaning the treatment of Bobby not the fact that he was sacked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.