BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bobby Robson Relieved Of His Duties

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was on Sky Sports when they were discussing it and they had an article which basically listed those players in the same exact order. It then went on to say that we should forget who Robson is as football is a business.

I've got to nip out again now but if it's that important to you i'll have a scout around later.

I'm not too worried about Bobby.

He's been sacked by a pillock and will probably get loads of compensation.

He's probably got millions in the bank to spend in his retirement and he'll no doubt get a lucrative contract with a broadcasting company to commentate on future matches.

Lucky sod.

He could probably do without the "player power" bull that he has had to put up with over the past few years and the lies and deceit of Newcastle's chairman.

Enjoy your golf. Your house in Spain and your bulging bank account. Jealous. Moi?

Looks like Brum tied Bruce down very tightly in his contract. He probably bought Yorke as a revenge for not being allowed to talk to Newcastle!

If, as early press reports are indicating, Allardyce rejects Newcastle (and the Bolton Chairman has refused them permission to talk to him), Fat Freddie will have found that his first four choices have all rejected him.

As he described himself as the man who shot bambi for sacking Sir Bobby, perhaps he should not be altogether surprised.

However, Allardyce has slipped away to Spain for a short break. Whether he is anywhere near the "club" in Marbella where Fat Freddie made his famous comments about Toon supporters and Geordie lasses, no doubt jim's erstwhile colleagues will be sampling the Spanish sun to find out.

It was on Sky Sports when they were discussing it and they had an article which basically listed those players in the same exact order. It then went on to say that we should forget who Robson is as football is a business.

I've got to nip out again now but if it's that important to you i'll have a scout around later.

No , not important at all . It would have been mildly amusing , that's all.. smile.gif

Fair enough that was a bit of a sharper response than I intended so apologies, I've been mad busy sorting a new job and holiday the last 2 days. I haven't found it but it was mainly Alan Mullery who had it as he was trying to back up his good friend Mr. Shepherd who has behaved perfectly with Bobby apparently.

Interesting article I read in the Express, whilst waiting in the barbers wink.gif , which was slating Shearer as well. Can't remember the journo but he said he wasn't all that fond of Bobby but his treatment here was appalling. Reckoned that Shearer hadn't forgiven Bobby for trying to sell him to Liverpool so had undermined him a lot this recently.

Replies to rover6 (years old)

The only reason people are condemning the move is because Bobby Robson is old, English and a media favourite.

Subjective: You cannot know why people are condemning the "move"

I'm sure Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas, and I'm sure they, 'lived and breathed football,' so did they deserve the sack?

How can you be sure that "Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas"? And how can you be sure that they 'lived and breathed football,?

Edited by PatFleck

The only reason people are condemning the move is because Bobby Robson is old, English and a media favourite.

I'm sure Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas, and I'm sure they, 'lived and breathed football,' so did they deserve the sack?

How can you be sure that  "Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas"? And how can you be sure that  they  'lived and breathed football,?

I just think that if you're doing a bad job as a manager then you should be given the chop. Regardless, of how nice/old/funny/loyal etc. you are.

Obviously, you don't get rid of managers after a few bad results. But if you enter an apparent irreversible spiral of decline than you have to consider a change. Especially if it involves a club who've spent as much money as Newcastle have.

Edited by rover6

How can you be sure that  "Gerard Houllier and Glenn Roeder were charming fellas"? And how can you be sure that  they  'lived and breathed football,?

I just think that if you're doing a bad job as a manager then you should be given the chop. Regardless, of how nice/old/funny/loyal etc. you are.

Obviously, you don't get rid of managers after a few bad results. But if you enter an apparent irreversible spiral of decline than you have to consider a change. Especially if it involves a club who've spent as much money as Newcastle have.

Spent as much as newcastle?? How much did they spend this summer? Or how many players did they purchase?

No, because they are acheiving (perhaps even exceeding) their targets.

FYI Hughesy:

Titus Bramble: £5m

Craig Bellamy: £6m

Carl Cort: £6m

Hugo Viana: £8.5m

Laurent Robert: What? £8m?

Jermaine Jenas: £5m

That's £38.5m on only 6 players. There are others I didn't include - Gavilan, Cordone, Butt, Carr, LuaLua, Milner etc.

As I'm a little bored this morning I have done a bit of research into Bobby's transfer signings... For 1 point who knows the first player he paid a fee for............................................. It was Rover's very own Kevin Gallacher.

Anyway, here is the total he has spent on Players.

04-05 4.5m

03-04 3.6m

02-03 15.0m

01-02 29.0m

00-01 2.0m

99-00 6.5m

Total 59.5m

And here is the total he has bought in

04-05 15.85m

03-04 3.5m

02-03 0.15m

01-02 0.4m

00-01 8.65m

99-00 4.1m

Total 32.65m

So his transfer deficit is £26.85m over 5 seasons (Cant really include 04-05 as he only managed 4 games) which works out as £5.37m a season. When you think how high they have finished over the last few seasons I think his dealings have been pretty good. I know he has had a couple of costly errors but don't they all. If each place in the Prem is worth 500k and Bobby took Newcastle from relegation fodder to Champions League positions I think his outlay is justified.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.