BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bobby Robson Relieved Of His Duties

Since March 2000 Souness has spent 42.62 million and recouped 33.85m. over 4 seasons that works out as a deficit of 2.19m a year. So Bobby only speant about 3m a year more than Souness but has left Newcastle with some of the best young players in the country.

When you look at the figures his signings have actually been pretty good. Souness has spent a lot of money on players that we will never recoup money on, Bobby spent it on main ly young players who will move on for larger fees.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably as anti-Souness as most on here but I can't really argue with his transfer record. Grabbi apart most of Souness's buys have come off and been worth the money.

What is questionable is the quality players he's let go and whether he's replaced them. Personally, I think he's been slow or even downright negligent in replacing some of the players he sold.

I'm probably as anti-Souness as most on here but I can't really argue with his transfer record. Grabbi apart most of Souness's buys have come off and been worth the money.

What is questionable is the quality players he's let go and whether he's replaced them. Personally, I think he's been slow or even downright negligent in replacing some of the players he sold.

Sorry but I can't let you get away with that.

You forget Cole (he was not worth 8 million), Yorke, Hignett, Reid and Nissa - a total of approx. 17 million wasted and there's others.

Souness' transfer record has not been impressive at all. The Grabbi deal actually, imo, is the worst transfer business by any recent Rovers manager. Because it displayed a complete lack of research into the players background, which was quite blatantly not of the highest calibre.

He has made good signings, (even Kidd managed one - Jansen) but the guy has been profligate.

And signing players like Cole, Yorke and Amoruso is not what we should be doing because it means that we get no or a very small sell-on fee and they only hang around for a couple of years before we have to stump up MORE money to replace them. At least a younger player, all going well, will either stay at the club for a long time (Neill) meaning we don't have to keep spending money we don't have replacing him OR it means he improves and becomes a saleable asset - Duff.

Small clubs like us have to spend money on younger players. If we want experience, we get them for little - so thumbs up to Matteo and Dickov. Maybe the penny's dropped now.

rover6- do you have a clue about what our club is about??

Take it from me when we sign a player it is about can they do a job when then come in not what cash can we get in the future. We are not bothered about that at all.

Your comments seem logical but make me really wonder some time.

I would go as far to say I am starting to think you are a real pr**k.

Somewhat worryingly, on betfair Souness has been backed down from 80-1 to 10-1 in the last few hours to get the Newcastle job.

I'd never thought I'd say this but, from what I've seen at Rovers over this last year, if he stays I won't be upset but if he goes then I can't say I'll be disappointed either.

not in a million years would souness get the newcastle job!

theres no logic in it. Why would newcastle want him. The media and even rovers fans on here have just forgotten what souness has done for this club and Im sure that fat freddy has also.

The manager will be steve Bruce. The guy is a quitter and is not loyal.He will be newcastle manager and be a flop.

You forget Cole (he was not worth 8 million), Yorke, Hignett, Reid and Nissa - a total of approx. 17 million wasted and there's others.

Sure Cole's goals had us playing in the UEFA Cup twice and helped win us the League Cup but yeah, rubbish signing. Hignett was not awful and did the job for us on many occasions coming off the bench. Nissa may still prove to be a good signing; he's young, talented, and played well in the pre-season matches.

Souness' transfer record has not been impressive at all. The Grabbi deal actually, imo, is the worst transfer business by any recent Rovers manager. Because it displayed a complete lack of research into the players background, which was quite blatantly not of the highest calibre.

And there you go showing your lack of years again. Ashley Ward, at 4.5 million pounds was a much poorer signing but i suspect that his signing was well before your time, having occurred in 1998. Speaking of a complete lack of research:

And signing players like Cole, Yorke and Amoruso is not what we should be doing because it means that we get no or a very small sell-on fee and they only hang around for a couple of years before we have to stump up MORE money to replace them.

Mate, you need players that can win matches, not players that you can get money for selling. Getting money for selling-on players is a bonus. If the players can't win matches you get relegated which is far worse financially than a small/non-existent sell-on fee. You might want to ask a West Ham or Leeds supporter about just how comforting it was to have young players they could sell when they were relegated.

At least a younger player, all going well, will either stay at the club for a long time (Neill) meaning we don't have to keep spending money we don't have replacing him OR it means he improves and becomes a saleable asset - Duff.

Younger players are no more likely to stay at club than older players. Age is *not* a factor in determining loyalty. Further, a younger player does not necessarily improve to become a saleable asset, and certainly not a guaranteed profitable asset. Yes there are examples where young players prove to be profitable for a club (although in nearly every one of those cases the club would prefer not to sell the player in the first place) but they are not the rule, they are the exception. I'm guessing that you haven't played much football or you would realise that for every young player that makes a rep squad there are about 50 that have been cut from the team. The football wilderness is where most young players end up. The fact you don't hear their stories [edited] doesn't mean they don't exist. An older player is a proven player. There is a lower risk in signing an older player as they have already demonstrated an ability to perform at the highest level. I would put money on the fact that, had you been [edited] around when Grabbi was first signed, you would have been praising Souness to the high heavens for signing a young, exciting striker. He didn't work out because signing a young player like him is a gamble.

Small clubs like us have to spend money on younger players. If we want experience, we get them for little - so thumbs up to Matteo and Dickov. Maybe the penny's dropped now.

Small clubs like us need to spend money on PLAYERS THAT WILL WIN THE DAMN GAME REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE!!!! JUST LIKE BIG CLUBS!!! JUST LIKE EVERY DAMN CLUB!!!! WHO GIVES A #### IF IT YOU'RE MAKING A PROFIT WHEN YOU'RE PLAYING AGAINST CANVEY ISLAND IN THE NATIONWIDE CONFERENCE!!!!

EDIT: Blatantly insulting stuff removed (yes removed).

Edited by samtheozzy

I don't know what the blatantly insulting stuff was Sam but the rest of your post is spot on.

Rover 6 will struggle to find a contemporary manager apart from Arsene Wenger with a better incoming/outgoing transfer record than Souness in his time at Rovers.

Back to Newcastle, I am quietly enjoying the way Fat Freddie and his board are floundering a week after firing Sir Bobby. Apparently they have given themselves three days to make a new appointment.

The other revelation I like is the way the Gold brothers at Brum clearly knew what they were dealing with when they took on Steve Bruce. Apparently Bruce becomes personally liable to pay to Birmingham the value of his unexpired contract should he resign.

That means paying £7m should he walk this week.

Incidentally, I am not surprised to see Souness' odds shortening as the next Newcastle manager even though there is no press talk yet.

It looks like Allardyce, Shearer are unpersuadable, Houllier unwanted, Bruce and O'Leary too costly, O'Neill at too big a club to fight (even if he would want the St James' hot seat), Vennables is getting his hip op excuse ready as those "we are not talking" talks have dragged on too long and for some inexplicable reason, Strachan is not in the frame (too intelligent for Fat Freddie?) nor Curbishley.

So where do they go now? Megson, Worthington and Dowie might all be legitimate targets should Rovers find themselves managerless but presumably too much of a climb down for a "massive" club like Newcastle.

Coleman is probably too young and untried so after ruling out all the foreign managers in the Prem plus Keegan, the process of elimination leaves Harry Redknap and Souey.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.