BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Striker Signs!

Oh yeah, because Ventola has been really good hasn't he. His 4 goals in 28 games last year really set the world alight didn't it.

Ventola is so overrated its unbelievable. He has scored 8 goals in 3 years, thats really not that good is it. I'd take Bothroyd over him any day.

If you want to see Ventola's "impressive" stats they are HERE

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says what exactly? He lost his place to one if Italy's top strikers who is a bit past his best. That's like slagging Ameobi and saying he couldn't get in ahead of Shearer.

I'm going to stick with Bob on this one and wait until I see him personally although the link to the WSC article is particularly interesting reading, especially this bit.

"One problem was that Bothroyd did not seem to relish chasing lost causes. For some football fans,

that is a basic requirement. Many want to see their players scurry like demented hares whenever, for

example, there's a backpass, even when there is no hope of getting even a sniff of the ball. It's an

unspoken pact: we know it doesn't do any good, but we want to see you do it anyway, just to show you

care.

If chasing lost causes makes a great striker, Lee Hughes would be playing for England. Hughes cost

the Sky Blues £6.5million - more than six times the fee Coventry paid Arsenal for Bothroyd - and in

36 starts managed just 10 goals from open play.

Bothroyd scored 11 from 27 starts in 2002-03 but never got the terrace support Hughes did. No one

chanted his name. Even though Bothroyd was in almost every way a better footballer, he was far less

popular."

I can just see the knives being sharpened already.

The Only Problem

I Think we are a kinda of shop window to Perguia, because by loaning him we are showing him off to England and if he performes well he's sure at the end of his season loan to get offers from other clubs. But if he performs badly he will go back to Italy and never be seen of again.

But i still think its a good siging by Rovers

signing someone else from another struggling side....how wonderful dry.gif

Time will tell if this is a good or bad signing BUT one thing is for sure it's got to be a good swap.

BTW This thread is growing fast so I can I please ask anybody who commented adversly to the signing of Paul Dickov in the other thread please refrain from posting as I han't got time to be continually wading through all the uninformed dross emanating from people who cannot tell a footballer from a cows arse blink.gif . tongue.gif

Edited by thenodrog

To me I say give the guy a chance.

From memory good things where expected of the guy when he was at Coventry but he just lost his way and seemed to disappear of the track.

I for one am happy we have replaced Yorke and regarding what has already been said we don't really have anything to lose.

He's young and fast which is what we have been crying out for up front - but does nobody find it a bit canny that way his style of play has been described is very similar to the younger version of Yorke with a bit more speed.

However there are two things of concern to me now though, and these being the comments from Souness at the beginning of the season which people seem to have overlooked on one part anyway:-

Firstly re Jansen - Is this guy ok or not as I think the fans need to be told a definite - at the start of the Season Souness was saying he was in his plans now he is saying he can go - so what the hell is going on?- answers are wanted.

Secondly re Gallagher which is a big worry to me - and after Souness said this was going to be a big season for him if he knuckled down where does this signing leave him.? To me this should have been the season to give him his chance but he does appear to be being left on the side and the rumour mill re the supposed argument appears to be sounding louder now.

Pleased enough with this signing. A promising player, who is fast and skillful, something which we haven't had since Jansen. It adds to squad and he will do a better job than Yorke, who must go down in the list of crap signings, truly awful. As others have said, it is only a loan signing, so if it doesn't work out, we haven't lost much. This is one player that I never thought of us going after, but he could be quite affective. However, I still can't believe that we didn't take up the option to take Claudio Lopez on loan. There are other quality players out there who we could have brought in on loan, like Nicola Ventola or Cosmin Contra, who would solve any doubts about the right back position.

the difference is that with a lazy Yorke we knew he use to be good, with Bothroyd I have no expectations because he had a poor career, so he will not disappoint me like Yorke always did.

very fair comment.

With Dikov and Stead performing as they are not sure we'll see Jay for a while anyway

Bothroyd lost his place last season to Fabrizio Ravanelli !!!!

Says it all....

mad.gif (get a grip Souness)

Says: You've never seen the guy play, and you know virtually nothing about Italian football.

Souness out! Souness out!

Ahh, I give up.

blink.gif

Firstly re Jansen - Is this guy ok or not as I think the fans need to be told a definite - at the start of the Season Souness was saying he was in his plans now he is saying he can go - so what the hell is going on?- answers are wanted.

Agree with everything you say re Bothroyd. As for Jansen I think people are being harsh on Souness. If Jansen is a goner it doesn't benefit us to be told. It certainly does put a block on any future moves however.

As for Gally he is injured, he was definitely hobbling on Saturday so whatever the truth about a falling out that is why he isn't playing.

Don't come up with reasonable points like that Manchester Blue, Rovers fans need something to moan and fret about, preferably something that's complete twaddle and can't be proved.

He's terrible this Souness, isn't he? Falling out with players, "Jolly" Jack Marshall wouldn't have done it tut tut tut tut tut tut!

blink.gif

I just cant help thinking this is a panic buy from Souness who needed to replace Yorke.

A few weeks ago Souness stated Yorke was staying... so whats changed?

Last night in the L.E.T. he also said Jansen was fine physically and mentally - it was just a confidence thing with him. So, why has Souness not given him the same chance(s) as Yorke has had?

Like on Saturday, with 10 mins left when Yorke came on - he did nothing. Surely Jansen would have run round a lot more and chased more balls down?

How can we believe anything Souness says?

mad.gif

Oh for gawd's sakes, he was always trying to get Yorke out of the door. He was hardly going to say: "Yorke is a workshy toothy ukelele-fiddler who's no use to anyone, he's history here." was he? Because it would hardly have had clubs queueing up for him, would it?

Come on, Souness has been here 4 years now, you should know how he plays the game.

Or are you just seeking a good moan ("Blackburnitis")?

PS: How can a player brought in on loan be a "panic buy"?! unsure.gif

Edited by Bryan

I'm sure all the recent praise about Yorke was just us trying to smoke out a couple of simpleminded managers to go after him. It worked and I'm happy to see him leave!

I NEVER put anyting into what Souness is telling the media anymore, there is no connection between his words and actions..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.