BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Striker Signs!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover6, just what is going on with you? You are really starting to sound like a true blueblooded Rovers fan. The last two signings we have made could be described as marginal at best. For some reason you are full of optimism and positives on both of them. What's caused the turnaround, you change your diet, vitamins, what?

Anyway good on you. From reading articles this fella could well be a big hit or a super flop, we won't know until we give him a chance.

Having been fed on a staple diet of past-it veterans (Amoruso, now he was difficult to swallow) and players who play in positions that we have covered (Dino Baggio and Moore gruel) - it makes a pleasant change to see Souness bolstering the squad in the necessary departments and going for younger and more skilful players.

Now the big test for Souness is whether he can put the pieces of the jigsaw together to resemble a half-decent Premiership team.

rover.gif i would have took cain dingle as yorkes replacement,this boothroyd guy got a whole article in 442 last year.i can remenber he left arsenal under a cloud,after being a star off the gunners youth team.not sure what he did,but he might rival andy todd tinykit.gif

Found the quote below on soccerage, think it explains what happened. To be fair the lad was only 18 at the time.

05/29/2000. Arsenal have placed a promising youngster on the transfer list after a show of petulance during the club`s Under 19 play off Final defeat against West Ham. 18 year old striker Jay Bothroyd was substituted and took exception to the decision made by highly respected Don Howe. He then removed his shirt and hurled it at the Arsenal bench before storming off down the tunnel. Former Arsenal favourite, Liam Brady, is now the Head of Youth Development at Highbury and adopted a zero tolerance attitude towards Bothroyd, as he confirms, "I and the staff at the Club felt Bothroyd's action was totally unacceptable and warranted the sternest of disciplinary action." Brady then said that Bothroyd won`t play for the club again as he added, "Although Jay Bothroyd is a highly promising young talent, we will not tolerate this behaviour and consequently, he has been transfer-listed. He is not wanted at this Club anymore."

Jesus...he looks like Stan Collymore's little brother.

Well that makes me feel a hell of a lot better. If someone whacks the ball into the corner all we need to do is chuck a talentless Swedish bint onto the corner flag and he'll leg the length of the pitch to get at her. Lovely. huh.gif

On a lighter note, lets give the lad a chance. Anything is better than that lazy couldn't-hit-a-cows-arse-with-a-banjo Yorke.

Accyrover

. If someone whacks the ball into the corner all we need to do is chuck a talentless Swedish bint onto the corner flag and he'll leg the length of the pitch to get at her. Lovely. huh.gif

As long as we don't see him flashing his car lights in the B'burn End Car park at midnight biggrin.gif

Bothroyd losing his placing in the starting line-up to Ravanelli has also something to do with the fact that Perugia is Ravanelli's hometown club (or somethinh similar to that). Ravanelli is a hero for the club. You compare that to situation when young, well playing player of ours would find himself on the bench, because of Duff's return.

I saw Bothroyd play in intertoto match between Allianssi (Vantaa, Finland) and Perugia 2 years ago. He seemed quite good, but nothing special. Based on what I've seen and read, I think the lad can do his job. At least I'm not going to slate from the very beginning.

There's a new diary entry on his icons webpage here

He says: "Ewood Park is a great stage for a player and one of things I'm looking foward to more than anything else is playing in front of the Blackburn fans. I've already had messages of support and welcome. I Know how loyal and enthusiastic they can be and i aim to make them proud"

Good on yer Jay cool.gif

Edited by grizfoot

He says: "Ewood Park is a great stage for a player and one of things I'm looking foward to more than anything else is playing in front of the Blackburn fans. I've already had messages of support and welcome. I Know how loyal and enthusiastic they can be and i aim to make them proud"

Good on yer Jay cool.gif

No mention of the moaning minnie's then? wink.gif

Everton also wanted him!

Oi! Moyes! Find your own pigging players and stop copying us!

It's like being back at school.

I think there is substance in the McCarthy-Everton link. The player claims he was all set to make the move to Goodison, but Porto pulled the plug at the eleventh hour. He made no mention of us. It wouldn't surprise me if it's GS who is telling porkies.

smile.gif I wish Bothroyd all the best in this seasons campaign in the premiership, hopefully he will be a tremendous buy for the club, and I think he deserves his chance to show us what he can do before we all judge him. Not every striker can be judged by how many goals they score, all round ability must come into consideration, for example if he holds the ball up, ghosts past a dozen players every match and sets up an abundance of goals for our fellow striker and attacking midfield then that is just as good. I hope that MGP and Ferguson will score a hatful of goals this season from midfield taking us shooting up the table.I am curious though as to what our best pairing up front will be though, for me i would always start stead, he is a very impressive striker i think and he hopefully will score some very important goals for us this season... biggrin.gif

Good on yer Jay cool.gif

That'll have been written by his agent!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.