SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its for the best to have a fresh start.

But this is the biggest act of BETRAYAL i have felt at the club.I respect what he has done at the club,but we have been going downhill since last season,and the club and fans kept faith.He went off and bought a couple of players,sold off Cole then suddenly leaves?What happened to Blackburn being my last job?

Doesnt he feel any loyalty?Fore me he was one of the last true loyal people in the game,and he has just thrown that out of the window.Imagine the morale of the squad.People like Ferguson,MGP thinking hold on what is this?

I cant see anyone but Todd happy with this.

Gosh, I'm quite shocked but PhilipL has hit the nail on the head. Souness could have been fired in two games time, so we've got well lucky I think.

He's done a great job for us, whatever Souness-haters think, but I agree that he seemed to have hit some kind of impasse so the timing should be right for both sides.

I favour a Strachan appointment I must say. Please not a "romantic", let's bring in Hendry or Newell ror someone else who isn't proven at this level.

Cheers Graeme - enjoy the toon - I hope you lamp some of their prima pansies! wink.gif

I suppose im quite pleased hes gone, mabye now well see some sensible formations, players like Emerton, stead, pedersen will all be keen to state a claim for first team so may up their performances, also well get a compensation sum which beats paying him off. I am shocked however, with the signings of Pedersen, bothroyd, stead, matteo it seemed he was going to stay and had a plan for the future. I just hope he doesent sign our best players eg Ferguson, friedel, stead etc for the magpies!

i agree with all of that.

and he can keep his hands off jon stead, although we know first hand how he like to sign players from previous clubs....

I am in absolute SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a text message from the club when i was half asleep in bed this monring and had to read it 5 times, i almost had a heart attack. Unbelievable. Totally unexpected.

Get sir bobby in!

or

STEVE MCMAHON!

Blackpool fans hate him but he is a quality manager if he has the resources.

Edited by Blackpool_Rover

I feel more annoyed about the fact another club has pinched our manager more than the fact he has actually gone. I liked Souness, arguably not a master tactian and perhaps one too many fall outs but he was a proper bloke and I feel that when he was hear he actually liked the club, and perhaps saw it as slightly more than a job.

To me what we have really lost and will miss is a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve for the club, and talked straight. He was a sound guy, someone you would like to have a pint with and could respect. When he came on tv and admitted part of the blame for the Dwight Yorke training ground incident you knew we had a real bloke, not a whinger like Fergie or Wenger etc.

But he has gone. More upset about the loss of stability really. Always was proud of the fact we had a long(ish) serving manager.

The gravity of this situation really rests on his replacement, if we get the right guy (IMHO Strachan or someone of similar ilk) this will be a storm in a teacup. If we end up with someone like Houllier (not the right appointment in my eyes) this could be very costly and frustrating.

To sum up I liked Souness and would have had him stay but its not a disaster and we will be ok. wink.gif

Jumped before shoved?

Will he take the elite/his faves with him?

Is Tony Parkes available for comment?

Who's next for the hotseat?

So many questions, so little bandwith. cool.gif

Thanks for promotion, the Worthington Cup and European footie.

You can say goodbye to Barry Ferguson in January.

If we were to get our 7mill back maybe that would be a good thing - the new bloke might appreciate a bit of money to spend .

(Only hope Mr Woodward spends it wisely....) ohmy.gif

As for Souness , it's a case of thankyou and goodbye . This news hasn't made much difference to my day . If the pay off we get can entice Strachan then I'll be well chuffed .

I am in absolute SOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a text message from the club when i was half asleep in bed this monring and had to read it 5 times, i almost had a heart attack. Unbelievable. Totally unexpected.

Get sir bobby in!

or

STEVE MCMAHON!

Blackpool fans hate him but he is a quality manager if he has the resources.

i think were all socked

Big, big shock.

In a way this has happened at a good time for Rovers. Some of his recent tactics had been bizarre (Matteo in midfield ffs!) and overly negative and you sensed that he was beginning to lose the players. He's been fantastic for Rovers but you just felt that maybe he'd lost his spark in the last six months. It's a case for me of thanks Graeme and goodbye. Still the timing and method leaves a lot to be desired and this may well leave a bitter taste in the mouth, especially as Souness had been active in the transfer market this summer (getting rid of his gruesome twosome for example, Andy Cole for all the flack he takes was looking like forming a good partnership with Stead).

Where do Blackburn go from here? I've no idea. Strachan would be the ideal replacement. However I doubt he's ready to come back into football. Houllier (please god no!), Mark Hughes (someone else I'd like to see), Mike Newell (who's had an extremely chequered career so far:s)? We'll probably see Tony Parkes leading Rovers to a glorious victory at St. James and then a lower league manager being brought in I suspect. The next appointment will be crucial, get an imbecile in and we could well go down and end up like Derby or Forest. However if we find someone of the calibre of Moyes then we have a decent core of players (providing Graeme doesn't nick 'em off us) to progress.

Houllier is the favourite 5 Live also state . I strongly suggest this site - and others - make their feelings known to prevent this happening... mad.gif  sad.gif

Totally agree - perhaps it's time for a couple of Polls? (as Lech Walensa often said to me "You can't beat a good Poll").

One for "Who Do You Want As Next Manager of BRFC?" and another "Who else other than Gerald "Sodding" Houllier DON'T you want as manager of BRFC?"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.