247 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy that Souness has left

• Rover the Moon
    • Yes
    • Indifferent
    • No
    • Disgusted

hahaha look at this poll, the goerdies certainly know their stuff!!! POLL LINK

LOOK AT THE GUYS PICTURE (the first one to post hahaha)

I miss not being able to swear on the messagebaord, probably not as much as Tris and Manc Blue but still it reminds me of the good old days

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROS:

Works well with young players (who don't have the audacity to challenge his word).

Talks a good game in interviews.

Is always fantastically dressed.

CONS:

Poor man-management skills - how long before Bellamy and Shearer have an infamous Souey bust up?

Poor record in the transfer market - no change there then from Robson.

Poor tactical understanding - again, something Geordie fans will associate with having had Robson as boss.

Newcastle are welcome to him.

hahaha look at this poll, the goerdies certainly know their stuff!!! POLL LINK

LOOK AT THE GUYS PICTURE (the first one to post hahaha)

I miss not being able to swear on the messagebaord, probably not as much as Tris and Manc Blue but still it reminds me of the good old days

user posted image

Hahaha laugh.gif

Im a little upset about GS going – but he’s gone, therefore so long Graham and thanks for the memories

Beating Dingles 7-0 over the season; Promotion; the Worthington Cup; stuffing Spurs 4-0 at WHL; double over Arsenal; beating Man U twice; getting the best out of Dunn, Duff and Jansen; giving Paul Gallagher a chance; John Stead; European Football twice (however brief); Deano Cards; finding out that calling someone a spurs fan was a red card offence.

Any road Tom Pringle says from his holidays:- “######! What a back stabber! Strachen for Rovers”

Deano Cards

He's not trying to take credit for those as well is he? Everyone knows they were Alan Murray's doing.

Talking of which... I wonder how long it'll be before Souness comes calling for Boersma, Murray and maybe even The Deano himself.

After the shock of it wore off, I have to say, on balance, I'm happy.

I think he'd run his natural course here, although I was willing to give him more time (unlike some). Perhaps we needed someone else to come in and shake things up.

The team seemed to lack motivation last year, and I don't think he managed Cole or Yorke too well (particularly since he bought them), and i think he'll struggle with Bellamy and Dyer in particular.

A really strange appointment, we're worse off in the league than you are! Personally, I think you took him because you couldn't get any other respactable appointment.

Good post, agree with you...

Deano Cards

He's not trying to take credit for those as well is he? Everyone knows they were Alan Murray's doing.

Talking of which... I wonder how long it'll be before Souness comes calling for Boersma, Murray and maybe even The Deano himself.

According to sky they are to go also

I hope the Georgies have good memories.

One of the most succesful managers in the club's history

In his first season at the club he guided them to the League Cup Final and the Sixth Round of the FA Cup; and in the following season he guided them into the top six of the first division.

Yet he is also one of the most unpopular managers to sit in the hot seat. Why? Because he sold the star players and replaced them with also-rans, he encouraged negative football and he walked out on the club when he was offered better money elsewhere.

No I'm not talking about Souness, although the cv is very similar.

I'm talking about the previous Rovers manager to join Newcastle.

Gordon Lee.

I think most Rovers fans were more surprised by the news Rikko. I cant speak for everyone but I think the general feeling is that once the shock wore off no one was overly bothered.

Souness will bring you discipline, but don't be surprised if he falls out with some of your top players along the way. And also dont be surprised to see Shearer on the Left, Kluivert at left back and so on !! Positions don't seem to mean a great deal to Souness !

In my opinion he is not a bad manager - but not a great one either. Tactically he is very suspect, there have been many occasions where people have felt that his tactics have cost us points. Also he will surely have money to spend at Newcastle, something he didn't do on the whole very wisely with us. Despite what some people on this board may say, over his 4.5 year reign Souness had a fair amount of money to spend at Blacburn, £7m on Cole, £7m on Grabbi and £7m on Ferguson without even thinking about it. I think he got away with this 'cos it was largely overlooked by the press.

I hope that he does well for you but If I'm honest I dont' think he will set the north east on fire. My prediction is an improvement in the short term but this will soon fade and you'll be back to sqaure one. Sorry !

Always been a big Souness supporter, but after seeing how he's just up and left, I have lost all respect for the man. His passion and drive are admirable, but for me this has just put a big question mark over the entire thing.

All i can say is, good luck to GS, someone who always gave his all for BRFC. As someone who doesnt particularly like n'caslte (all this best fans in the world crap), i hope we wrung ever penny outa them in the compensation deal.

Ive enjoyed the time GS had with us, people tend to forget that its 3 great seasons and just 1 bad season that he has had. Just a shame that he didnt get the chance to make it 4 great seasons outa 5 this yr.

Also, just like to say that GS had a great record in the transfer market, 1 of the very best in the league.

As long as we dont get Houllier..... mad.gif

Edited by BRFC4EVA

rover.gif

Souness did a great job for rovers then suddendly things started to go wrong, jansens accident was followed by dunny falling out with the boss and leaving,duffer on his way then souness seemed to loose the plot.

Managers can only take a club so far, Peter Reid is a classic example,worked miracles at Sunderland then ........

Shocked he has gone to Newcastle thought Rangers was his next job. Newcastle players better be ready for lots of fallouts. Dyer you play where you are told,it may even be centre half or left wing

I know many people on here don't seem to agree but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted today. I am please to see the back of Souness.

Just out of interest, is this the first job he hasnt been sacked from?!

I would love to see Mark Hughes take charge at Ewood, but I am not sure he would want it considering his current position.

Just off to crack open a bottle or bubbly to celebrate (or maybe just a couple of cans of Worthy's!).....

Despite what some people on this board may say, over his 4.5 year reign Souness had a fair amount of money to spend at Blacburn, £7m on Cole, £7m on Grabbi and £7m on Ferguson without even thinking about it. I think he got away with this 'cos it was largely overlooked by the press.

Cole paid back his fee in scoring the winner in the Worthington Cup, Ferguson is our captain and best midfielder but he is a bit unproven although he is now starting to shine and Grabbi was a mistake but his only real big one.

He obviously did think about what to spend that £21m on and he has had some undeniable succesess in Stead, Tugay, Friedal and Neill and I for one will miss him. It'll be hard if we recruit a placid manager in the Wenger - "I didn't see it" mould, after four years of Souey passion.

Edited by Duffers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.