Are you happy that Souness has left  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy that Souness has left

• Rover the Moon
    • Yes
    • Indifferent
    • No
    • Disgusted

Great news for Rovers I reckon. He had lost the plot and was on the way out but we couldn't afford to sack him. Bet we get a pen on Saturday now. As for the Geordies, they had better get used to the manager falling out with his players and the referees etc. etc. What with Dyer, Belamy etc I see fun times ahead for us all.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted 'Yes', because it's proabably the best move for both the club and Souness.

Now the initial shock's passed, the only concerns I have are about the quality of his replacement and whether Souey will be back for some of our players in January.

Souness has done a great job at Ewood Park during his time here, but I doubt he's the manager to turn the potential of Newcastle into a trophy-winning / title-challenging side.

He's already managed to demonstrate some tactical failings this season and struggles to maintain half-decent manager/player relationships once he takes a dim view of a player - I'm sure they'll be plenty of fireworks at St James' given the reputations of some of the players there.

I've plenty of admiration for the progress Souness has made when he took over as a manager when we were a mid-table 1st division side, but I don't know if he's got it in him to compete with the likes of Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho towards the top end of the table, especially as 'instant success' will be demanded in Newcastle.

I think the 'honeymoon period' will go well for you, but I can't see it lasting the full 5 years he's alledgedly signing for. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were a Newcastle fan (especially considering the resources you have available), that Souness would get the nod, but perhaps the initial doubts will spur Souey on to prove himself further - he's certainly got the passion and determination to succeed.

Sorry, Rikko - I think Freddy Shepherd may have sold you short on this one, considering some of the other names that were being linked with NUFC......

rikko nufc

we all know what type of support nufc have and we realise that those fans are probably the best in England at getting behind the team, at the same time they are also the worst at criticising a team/manager.

We all realise that although BRFC are seen as an unfashionable club in the eyes of many, including your own fans, but let me point out this to you.

BRFC have had to provide NUFC with managers and players cause your massive club has tried to identify with our little club without any success whatsoever.

Managers such as Lee,Smith,Dalglish

players such as Shearer,Batty,Given,Sellars have all faied little better than they were at our little club.

JHC you have even nicked our backroom staff and still had no success with icons such as Gennoe and Irvine.

It says it all about your club that the fantastic support puts up with fat freddie, the man who belittled Sir Bob, the man who allows Shearer to run the club, the man who is more satisifed with whores than his football club. And what does the adoring geordie public do ? they put up with him.

BRFC and its core of around 25k supporters have lived a dream, the older ones and the younger ones alike.

We have been there and done it, NUFC are eons away from emulating any of that type of success.

Nicking Souness on a massive contract in trying to instill some sort of discipline into your team is beyond belief. He will fail simply because of the Shearer factor and the tepid support amongst you fans.

Its all sad really cause the geordie lads I know are very decent lads as are most of your supporters. I genuinely feel that on this occasion NUFC have made a serious error in appointing GS. tinykit.gif

He obviously did think about what to spend that £21m on and he has had some undeniable succesess in Stead, Tugay, Friedal and Neill and I for one will miss him. It'll be hard if we recruit a placid manager in the Wenger - "I didn't see it" mould, after four years of Souey passion.

He bought three of those BEFORE he wasted the £21m on Amauseless, Emerton, Reid (three of the most hopeless signings I've ever seen anywhere)Yeldell and Ferguson.

And how ANYONE could diss Wenger in ANY footballing WAY when comparing him to our ex pile-of-poo manager is unbelievable!!!

Edited by Jan

I'm sad to see him go, but to be honest I think he had taken the team as far at it can go. I've heard a lot of rubbish today about him having a poor record at blackburn

excuse me.he took over at ewood when we were in the wrong half of the 1st division with a load of very average players. Got rid of these and in his 1st full season gaine us promotion. Then came the worthy cup and 6th place.

It's gone down hill a bit since last season but on the whole I think his reign has been a success and will remebered by me as one of our better managers

Well Rikko I think Rovers have got the better end of this deal. I was stunned by the news for about 30 seconds before I began to realise how this all fitted together very nicely for my club. As for Newcastle? I hope Shepherd knows what he's up to......his track record isn't exactly good is it?

Souness did a lot for our club, kicked out the wasters, won promotion, won the Worthy Cup, kept us in the PL. Of late, the last 12 months, things have not gone his way and it seems he could not find the answers to the problems we face on the pitch. Personally I don't think he would have lasted past Christmas and it would have cost us a bucket full to pay off his contract. This way we get the change we need, your compensation money and hopefully Strachan or Hughes in charge. smile.gif

Now if you could just send him back for Emerton................. wink.gif

People come, people go but the Rovers will always be there.

I agree with you Duffers, they were decent signings. I didn't make my point particularly clear - what I was trying to illustrate was the fact that people saying that Souness did well for Rovers on a limited budget is not really true, if we look back his budget wasn't really that limited. The fact that he will have more money to spend at Newcastle doesn't, in my opinion give him any more advantage than he had at Rovers. At the end of the day I think that he is an average manager and that won't change no matter which club he is in charge of.

Sad to see him go but I think it may have been time for a change anyway, he'd took us as far as he could.

We MUST MUST MUST make the correct appointment now, it is so critical.

Always been a big Souness supporter, but after seeing how he's just up and left, I have lost all respect for the man. His passion and drive are admirable, but for me this has just put a big question mark over the entire thing.

eddie ...thems the words ive been looking far....

it was hard leaving and hope rovers fans will understand my reasons for leaving ....

YES WE DO......MONEY GREED AND AS FOR SAYING YOU LOVE OUR CLUB ....IT DOESNT WASH ANYMORE. mad.gif

saw a Burnley fan about an hour ago, and normally he tries to take the ######, but I think he disappointed Souness has gone because we might start doing well, and we should be happy.

Thats a pretty honest opinion from a normally unhonest fan, he was gutted biggrin.gif

Always been a big Souness supporter, but after seeing how he's just up and left, I have lost all respect for the man. His passion and drive are admirable, but for me this has just put a big question mark over the entire thing.

eddie ...thems the words ive been looking far....

it was hard leaving and hope rovers fans will understand my reasons for leaving ....

YES WE DO......MONEY GREED AND AS FOR SAYING YOU LOVE OUR CLUB ....IT DOESNT WASH ANYMORE. mad.gif

Got to agree with that, I think Souness is an extremely money driven man, more so than most people involved in football!

I wonder how many of our deals involved Souey receiving back handers???

Long time reader, first time writer. I have to agree with the majority of postings, after the initial shock had wore off I’m indifferent. I liked the fact he wore his heart on his sleeve, spoke his mind, and threatened Eddie Gray – but if you look past the exterior, there where shortcomings in his ability as a manger. However, he did do wonders for the club, promotion, worthy cup, 6th place. I think this move is mutually beneficial to both our beloved club, and Souey.

I have to state, I haven’t seen much of our matches this season as I’m in Sydney – so I can’t comment on our progress this season. Souey, thanks for the colourful memories.

Got to agree with that, I think Souness is an extremely money driven man, more so than most people involved in football!

I wonder how many of our deals involved Souey receiving back handers???

Get a grip, man. Football is business. Business is all about money. There aren't many in the game today whose heads wouldn't be turned by a big money deal, coupled with possibly more chance of a trophy. I can think of... umm... let's see... none.

Souness had a good run with Blackburn, but since the sale of Duff and Dunn things went pear shaped. It's possible the start of this season is the turning of the corner, though. So, though it would've been great if he'd gone in the pre-season instead of now the timing of the move is really down to the sacking of Sir Bobby, which couldn't be planned on (by Rovers or Souness). He's gone, and I for one am sure we'll do ok this season wink.gif

Take Newcastle to the next level - get a grip. NU are historical losers and whilst I had a good opiion of GS (before he became just another football mercenary) I believe that the resurrection of NUFC is beyond even him.

GS will become a victim of Fat Freddys ego and the young 'thugs' who inhabit the NUFC dressing room.

The best thing would be to let GS clean up the trash you bought under previous management - he will try that anyway.

Good luck it will be an interesting time in the North East.

PS - Shearer will never get another penalty when GS is in charge hahahahahaha

Well Rikko

All I can say as many others have , is don't expect the revolution of Newcastle with this appointment.

GS did ok for us but over the last season or so he has shown is tactical naivety big time - so get ready for the keystop cop defence show (shame you don't still have Dabizas)

Some of us where already questioning his decisions last season and your worries will probably be confirmed, although I think initially he might steady your boat don't expect miracles - as you may have lost a manager who had lost his marbles but you have gained another who is on his way to losing them.

Although it is sad to see Souness go as he did bring a measure of success to our 'little England' club but his boat had come in, and to top it all we are going to get some cash for it.

Roll on the rest of season it should be interesting seeing Shearer in the sticks and Given on the wing.

Just one thing Mr Souness before you go - please please please please take Emmerton with you rolleyes.gif

Just one thing Mr Souness before you go - please please please please take Emmerton with you rolleyes.gif

Now then that's a bit unfair!

On the basis that Emerton was a cracking player at his previous club and he's also looked good for the Aussie team, maybe, just maybe SOuness wasn't getting the best out of him. Emerton is one of the players who's progress I'm looking forward to under the new boss.........

I was totally taken aback when Souness left, because I never even considered him for the Newcastle job. I wasn't one of the people who was wanting him out, because I believed that he was doing a decent job, even though team selections were sometimes strange. However, I ddn't want a manager always saying that our priority is staying in the Premiership, that is fairly obvious. I think that he has taken the club as far as possible and if he were in charge for two or three more years, I think that you would find Blackburn in roughly the same possition each year. We have a good squad and a new manager may well be able to take them that bit further and realise that Amoruso isn't the answer to our defensive problems.

Just one thing Mr Souness before you go - please please please please take Emmerton with you  rolleyes.gif

On the basis that Emerton was a cracking player at his previous club and he's also looked good for the Aussie team, maybe, just maybe SOuness wasn't getting the best out of him. Emerton is one of the players who's progress I'm looking forward to under the new boss.........

Absolutely Dave. Emerton has it, of that there is no doubt. Souness wasnt getting it from him, most other managers seem to have in the past. Fingers crossed.

Nice of people to come out of the wood work now and admit that they had doubts about Souness. Wonder if they're the same who were giving me, and others, grief for questioning 'the great man who won us silverware'.

Edited by rover6

Just one thing Mr Souness before you go - please please please please take Emmerton with you  rolleyes.gif

We'll see ph34r.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.