SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barry Ferguson

Brownie

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though it's not really a very important game anyway is it? I mean is there a point to Scotland playing qualification matches? It seems a bit cruel to me

Ouch Eddie. That was uncalled for.

I don't think anyone else has posted this first.

An interesting insight into Ferguson but also life at Ewood under Sparky. Great to read of the emphasis on getting the fitness levels right and that Ferguson feels good about the formation used against Villa.

Hughes not communicating with the players could become a problem but I would imagine he is using the strong silent approach to ensure there is distance between himself and the players- many of whom he was playing alongside just over two years ago.

Good to hear Barry's take on things. Not too worried about Sparky being quiet. He's probably just assessing the situation and getting the measure of the lads, no point in saying too much to them and perhaps building false hopes until he is clear in his mind what each is capable of and their place in his future plans.

He makes a bit of noise on the sidelines at the matches, that'll do for me for now!

I have great faith in Mark II and Eddie (they look professional and as if they know what they are doing) and there is a bit of a buzz about the players which has been missing for some time. The new goalkeeper coach sounds okay too.

That was really an enjoyable piece to read and wish we were allowed more glimpses like this into what goes on at Ewood 'behind the scenes'.I too hope this new formation is the turn-key to us moving up the table.I would daresay that if we score 2 goals every game for the rest of the year like last week we will see that happen.Bazza is the key man.We need him to put us on his wee little back and begin the haul upwards.

Florida Rover

It's from the LET so there's some truth to it.

?! blink.gif

I trust the LET for accurate information. They are not into the sensationalism that the national dailies thrive on. If they report stories I'll take them far more seriously than the Sun, Mirror and the rest.

He's already doubtful for the Middlesbrough game. mad.gif Can't imagine Alex would have allowed that to happen.

"seething"

Official site

I have to say that I think our captain's attitude is rather commendable. Yes, it might bugger up the Rovers, and yes that's a bad thing, but at least he's showing a bit of pride and passion for his country. In these days when club football is king and players only seem concerned about money here is Scotland's captain leading from the front. God knows they need him.

Contrast that with the actions of England's captain this weekend (who I've fiercely defended many times on here) who I feel got himself deliberately booked so he could get home and attempt to save his marriage.

I have to say that I think our captain's attitude is rather commendable.  Yes, it might bugger up the Rovers, and yes that's a bad thing, but at least he's showing a bit of pride and passion for his country.  In these days when club football is king and players only seem concerned about money here is Scotland's captain leading from the front.  God knows they need him.

Fair point Scotty, but contrast to what Brad said the other day about having some allegiance to those who paid his wages. Now fair enough that Fergy is national captain so has to be 'seen' to have his country at heart, but does that mean he doesn't give a flying one about his club?

There's nothing wrong with having an allegiance to your country, Scotty. That's admirable. It's not on though, playing with a hamstring injury, knowing full well that aggravating it could/would, result in missing maybe one or two MONTHS of your clubs' games.

To me, that's totally irresponsible on behalf of Ferguson and Vogts.

That injury could mean rovers having only Tugay and Flitcroft with any real experience of playing centre mid, for the next month or so. Let's hope I'm wrong about his injury.

Injuries to Flitty and Tugay would leave us with precisely who, in midfield?

Reid? Thompson? Emerton? Todd? de Pedro? MGP? Youri? The list is endless huh.gifunsure.gif

Sorry but whilst I agree that it's good that he is keen to play for his country I'm afraid it's well out of order as well at the same time, mainly due to the fact that it's a ruddy hamstring. I said as much last week but I can't for the life of me think of a time when a player has "shrugged off" a hamstring strain.

Fair do's though he might be OK for Saturday - we shall see.

If Flitcroft and Tugay is our midfield partnership against Boro - I don't see much hope for us.

Hughes is unlikely to risk giving one of the youngsters a go (although Danns does have a 24hr recall on his extended loan deal which indicates he is in Hughes thoughts) but I would prefer one of them to be given a chance ahead of Tugay.

We might be able to accomodate one central midielder with limited mobility but two would be suicidal.

Well, I don't agree. Too many players are treating international football as a hobby these days. You should be prepared to walk over broken glass to play for your country and if Ferguson's passed fit (and you have to trust that he won't play if he's not) then he should play. He was supposedly injured for Saturday's game yet turned out to be Scotland's man of the match by all accounts.

I'm sure Ferguson, and all the other players for that matter, have been asked to play for their clubs when they've been carrying niggles. Why should international football be different? And don't give me this "we pay his wages" @#/?. International football should be a special honour for any player and money should not come into it.

By the way, if he does get injured and the Rovers are left without cover that's hardly Ferguson's fault. He's not responsible for the lack of quality replacements in our squad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.