BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Vs 0 Portsmouth

I have a box seat ticket for this match that I may or may not be able to claim. I was going to leave it to the day and see if I can claim it. If not, I was going to just book a regular ticket. However, now I'm worried that any decent seats will be gone. What are peoples thoughts?

Im not too sure on this one. Depends on how much Hughes gets involved

I think to be honest as he hasnt got much time with the lads he might leave the tatics and selection to Parkes.

To be honest i wouldnt be suprised if we lost, however i also feel we could win this 3-1 if the players put the effort in for a change

As the East Lancashire wind howls and the Blackburn End becomes one big blob of supporters, Hughesy sends out his revamped line-up.

Team:

Friedel

Neill Amoruso Short Gray

Flitcroft Ferguson© Tugay Pedersen

Dickov Stead

Subs: Jansen, Matteo, de Pedro, Bothroyd, Enckleman

The game starts at a frantic pace, with Rovers and Pompey both on the attack. Rovers take the lead through Ferguson after a Pedersen throw flicked on by Dickov.

Pompey however exploit Rovers's speed at the back and Yakubu, Lua Lua and Fuller all miss chances to draw Pompey level, as Friedel makes 3 superb saves.

On the stroke of half time Rovers get a penalty, yes a penalty, which Ferguson takes after 10 mins of deciding who infact is our best penalty taker!

Half time 2-0

After the restart Pompey get a goal back as Berger blasts a left footed strike into the top left hand corner and continues his one man mission for the goal of the season award.

Rovers then dominate for 20 mins and substitue Jay Bothroyd beats the offside trap to make it 3-1 to Rovers.

However Portsmouth come back again, Yakubu is left one on one with Amoruso, he turns him one way, then the other before beating Friedel with a low drive.

In the last 3 minutes Portsmouth have a corner, and Steve Stone's shot is blocked en-route to the goal by Lucas Neill's trailling hand, David Unsworth steps up and riffles the ball into the top right hand corner.

In the dying seconds Hughes throws Jansen on for Stead, immeadiately Rovers get a corner kick which Pedersen whips into the near post where Shaka Hislop meets him, but he can only push the ball as far as Tugay whose drive takes a deflection and falls to Jansen, 6 yards out who strokes the ball home.

Hughesy gets a winning start and the Rovers season is up and running in dramatic style

Blackburn Rovers-4 ~ Ferguson 10, pen 45. Bothroyd 65, Jansen 90

Portsmouth -3 ~ Berger 47, Yakubu 76, Unsworth pen 87

Edited by rog of the rovers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.