BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Vs 0 Portsmouth

If Souey was our Manager and in the same situation today he would have taken MGP off and put someone like Grsko or Nissa on.

For weeks I have been shouting for Matty - well done son, some of us never lost faith.

Watch this space Sven cos in a couple of weeks Matty will be banging on the door again.

well peeps

just back in Leyland from the game and the weather is glorious, the England cricket team face the Aussies in the semi final next week, the Ryder cup team are doing okay as we speak and the Rovers have just pulled off a great result to welcome the new manager.

Pleased ? I am bloody delerious.

As for the match, well lets say firstly it was not a classic. It was one of those games that you felt we had to win for any number of reasons.

a. to win for the new manager.

b. to win to boost condifence.

c. to win to excite a dreary crowd in the doldrums

d. to win to kick start the season after a terrible start.

before today I can honestly say I was dreading the game, pompy are on an up and we are on a downer, they have pace in abundance up front and a work ethic second to none.

But we are here to talk about our team and here is my summary.

Freidel - passenger

Neill - steady but gave too many loose balls away in the first 60 mins, needs to learn to close defenders down

Gray - steady usual performance

Matteo - played well how he didnt score with the outside of his left foot is a mystery. Best game in a Rovers shirt

Short - was playing well until his injury

Ferguson - man of the match but went missing for 15 minutes second half.

Emerton - a good game but why oh why cant he have the confidence to shoot and so nearly scored a super goal with his left foot, crossing poor

Flitcroft - steady won a lot of 50-50 balls nothing fancy

Pederson - clearly out of his depth

Dickov - annoying little c$$$ but a great performance - deserved a goal

Stead - too lightweight, not enough balls to feed off, low in confidence

subs

Amoruso - good outing, nearly scored

***Jansen*** Sourness are you really sure he needs confidence, great finish and thanks Matt you showed your appreciation to the Rovers faithful.

Bothroyd - clearly a handfull and did okay.

I dont aim to take any negatives from today. Only POSITIVES.

Clean sheet

Home win

Jansen scores

Team togetherness

and finally

I am pretty positive that young Pederson needs to be played in the reserves for a while to learn the English way of football. He is a lost soul in the dark.

Thanks for a great saturday evening, the dog can rest assure safe in the knowledge that his leader is in a happy mood, the wife and kids can come into the front room without fear of an angry husband/dad and the off licence will make a few more bob when I go and buy my nightly allowance in about 15 minutes.

tinykit.giftinykit.gifbiggrin.giftinykit.gif

If Souey was our Manager and in the same situation today he would have taken MGP off and put someone like Grsko or Nissa on.

For weeks I have been shouting for Matty - well done son, some of us never lost faith.

Watch this space Sven cos in a couple of weeks Matty will be banging on the door again.

Why what did Matty do?

mrsjansen Posted on Sep 18 2004, 17:55 

QUOTE (Cocker @ Sep 18 2004, 17:43 )

Why what did Matty do? 

He will tell you all about it when he gets in from work Mrs Jansen tongue.gif

Edited by Cocker

Very hard to disagree with anything 1864 said there.

We needed a win to boost confidence amongst both the players and the fans. Thankfully (in a game reminiscent of Kidd's against Charlton) we did just that.

A perky start soon petered out into a drab affair. Ferguson saw a lot of the ball and Flitcroft harried Portsmouth from the off. This was one of his better performances in the last year or so - nobody could complain about him going missing here.

However, there were still the obvious flaws from the usual suspects. Neill's distribution was woeful. Long ball after long ball towards our strikers - comfotably dealt with by a big pompey defence with little actual class. Pedersen was just a non-starter. He simply cannot pass. I don't care how many team training sessions he's attended, he was just pure woe. V02 max or not, he doesn't deserve to be in the team. Bring back de Pedro and give him some match fitness.

At half time I hoped Sparky was reading out the riot act. He constantly screamed at Emerton and Neill to bomb forwards. Emerton was disappointing in the first half, and thus with no winger threat there was no striker threat. Stead isn't finding himself with clear cut chances at his feet. When he drops back his touches are neat enough, but he never threatened the goal. Dickov is a little terrier who will create a chance a game simply by robbing hesitant defenders. He does alright dealing with the long balls, but it clearly isn't his game.

The second half was much better from our point of view. Pompey had already spurned a great chance just before the break when Fuller cracked the post when he really should have hit the target. Ferguson was still dictating, and Emerton grew in confidence. Whilst he still has his frustrating moments, he is far more willing to run at people and take them on. Very encouraging from him.

Jansen coming on may have changed the game well in our favour. The crowd was lifted and started urging the team on. The introduction of Bothroyd also added some spark, as his close control and mazy dribbling created several chances for himself.

We finally broke through after several goal-bound attempts. I think it was Lucas who played a ball down the middle, and Jansen controlled, spun and smashed it past Hislop. On the balance of play we deserved it, and there wasn't a player anybody wanted to score more.

Portsmouth still had chances with Yakubu missing a one on one and a penalty appeal turned down, but by and large they're a team of hackers. Griffin was lucky not to be sent off for flying through Pedersen. Stefanovic (sp) was wound up by Dickov (who admittedly kicked him, plain and simple) and they constantly gave away niggly fouls. We should have nothing to fear from teams like this.

So the right result and a great second half performance. Long may that kind of play continue!

VERY HAPPY TONIGHT FOR A CHANGE!! rover.giftinykit.gif

Positives:

WE WON!

Matt Jansen scoring the winning goal...welcome back lad.

Emerton looks to have a lot more confidence....played well.

Boothroyd....very good home debut.

Negative:

MGP.... early days but has shown very little to impress.

Only 20,000 to welcome our new manager,bottom club Palace had 5,000 more on today.Good vocal support as ever but we must start pulling more through the gates.(somehow!)

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.