Hughesy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should start a collection for rovers and contact all local businesses

You really are just being daft now huh.gif

Sorry that was my pet Dogs friends idea

May I suggest a sack, a few bricks and the Leeds/Liverpool canal then? thumbs-up.gifph34r.gif

Cruel but a classic laugh.gif

Pre Season we heard rumours of the club having £10 - £15 mil to spend. This, it seemed was not true. I'm not saying we have that much to spend but if Souness was living on borrowed time and had 3 or 4 games to save his job, would the board give him large sums of money to spend during the summer, especially after losing money on Grabbi and to a point Cole and Yorke???

I think the club will give the new manager money to spend (don't have a clue how much), but i'd think they would need to offer a new manager some money to attract them to Rovers.

Good Post. We were only talking about this in the pub a couple of weeks ago (before Souness had gone) and we all said pretty much the same thing.

Our feeling was that Souness had had more than enough financial support over the length of his reign, and based upon last seasons performance maybe the board weren't prepared to release any more funds for Souness as his future was no longer as secure.

I honestly think (and hope!) that when the new man comes in, transfer funds will be made available. This really will be the basis upon on which the new manager comes in - we will stuggle to appoint anyone with a decent calibre if they have no money to build their own squad.

Look no further than the Blackburn public for continued support, that's where our future lies and the sooner people realise that the better.

Sorry Gav but support from the Backburn public is an ever decreasing spiral....and you dont need me to tell you why. sad.gif

Figures released from a survey a few years ago suggested that we were the best supported club in the Prem from within the town. That is of course an excellent and highly commendable stat but without JW's input even that is simply not enough to sustain a top level team.

What if the input from the trust was to dry up for whatever reason?

Football at any level must be self sufficient in the long term. 14 years is a nothing more than a drop in a bucket. I want a top team in this area for my kids to suppor and their kids etc. I DO NOT WANT FUTURE GENERATIONS SUPPORTING MfU! And this WILL happen.

Fact......Expanding our support base is essential to maintain a prem team.

Fact......We cannot do it from within our own supporters.

It would be infinitely prefrable to move this forward from a position of strength if we are to remain a dominant influence. (Just think how laughable would it be if it were being suggested by Blackpool FC?)

I obviously dont want to lose BRFC and it's history but the med to long term alternative is worse.

One problem with the merger (which has no doubt been raised before) is that our squad would basically be the strongest and have no need for players from Blackpool etc. This makes it OK in theory for us because once we got used to a different name etc then we'd all be basically watching Blackburn Rovers. Can Burnley fans really come to Ewood and support a team which is Blackburn in everything but name?

I doubt the measure would increase fanbase at all. There would most likely be a MK Dons situation where the fans started their own club again rather than support the team which changed.

Gav/TND good posts from you both which raise important issues which are interlockable in thought and in reality both correct.

However that is the basis of football anyway - success on the pitch is what in all reality brings in the fans (except for the City clubs) and both of you appear to be sounding the death knell when IMO there is no need yet anyway - concern yes but there are still issues than can be addressed and reversed to our advantage

I have said previously on similar discussions, that what is missing from the club is the 'feel good factor' which the new manager might be able to briing back.

Optimistically looking back, we have shown we can generate average 27k crowds - consistency is the key and by making the community and town of Blackburn and its areas aware that we have one precious thing in this town is the hard part. Somebody has posted before about ROVERS being a club that brings people into the town - in fact the only thing that does actually bring them in.

If this is the case then the Club's profile needs to raised significantly locally - of which the fans at the moment have their part to play and show their pride in the Club that can then build a platform on which Blackburn Rovers can build in the 'football world'. I don't mean cheesy advertising like using bus stops etc but basic thinking and getting the people of Blackburn etc to feel passion and enthusiasm for our club.

To me being relegated would not be the end of world - drastic at the time but I do feel we would bounce back (again) and have a very loyal band of supporters to be one of the better supported teams if it did happen and the structure of the club as a whole.

I know all fans say that their club is the best - but in all reality I honestly do feel ROVERS are a rough diamond just waiting to be polished again - a gem and even though it might not be the dearest in the shop it is certainly invaluable to us.

It won't happen overnight and the rut we are in at the minute looks like it has no end to it- but we will overcome and be back on our way up before we know it.

tinykit.giftinykit.gif

Suggesting a merger has always been the quickest way to get dissed on this Board.

BUT there are plans [called the Northern Way] to build up Preston/Blackburn as the Lancashire city that matches Leeds/Bradford and Newcastle/Gateshead and acts as a counterbalance to the growth of Liverpool and greater Manchester.I'd always thought of Rovers and the dingles as one east Lancs club but a merger of PNE and our beloveds would only continue the trend of west lancs support and[wait for it] isolate Bumley back in the 19th century.

yours stategically!!

Blackburn rovers is an institution,so much tradition and proud history.Personally speaking any ridiculous merger with ANY other local club would see my interest in football stop immediately.

Just the thought alone is horrifying,I would simply find something else to do with my saturday afternoons...and so would thousands of other disgusted blues.

Some of our lot should read the following and hold their heads in shame........http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/load.php...&mid=2143723683

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Blackburn rovers is an institution,so much tradition and proud history.Personally speaking any ridiculous merger with ANY other local club would see my interest in football stop immediately.

No doubt that's what supporters of Blackburn Olympic once said sg194.....and dont forget that they won the FA cup first!

Question for you,

Lets suppose though that Olympic were still in existence, were still strong rivals and that we had both been languishing in the 3rd Div for the past 100 years or so with absolutely no hope of anything better. Would it or would it not make sense to merge?

With the greatest of respect theno why should I answer a totally hypothetical and pointless question?

Rovers have been the leading football light in East Lancashire for many a year and continue to do so despite the current problems...our hand still remains very strong.

We stand on the verge of appointing a new and young manager,we have the biggest support,best ground,youth facilities(maybe in the uk?) etc out of all the Lancashire town clubs.

I'm sorry to say but the doom mongers on here need to give our club and us all a break!!

Suggesting a merger has always been the quickest way to get dissed on this Board.

How would you know? huh.gif You've only made 2 posts! dry.gif

Ah , but he's probably read your previous contributions on the subject , Theno wink.gif

But on the subject of a merger ; as 1864 says , our club is an institution and has a proud history and tradition . I shouldn't have to point out to your good self , Gord , that BRFC is about the only thing that this town can be truly proud of and which is still a part of OUR history - I would accept other clubs coming under our umbrella as a kind of Lancs UTD but I could never summon up the energy to support a team located outside of the town . tinykit.gifrover.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.