• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be extremely happy with either

Strachan or

Hughes or

Coleman or

the Dalglish/Shearer combination.

Will the Board/Jersey have the testicular fortitude to make an appointment of this stature? Will they feel it is time to at least try and put into effect Uncle Jack's original wish to make Shearer manager?

Or will we end up with a low grade "Sturrock" type appointment? (Apologies to Rover6)

I'm confused about why so many people are so keen on Strachan. My impression of him in his last few years as a manager is that he's too old school and half-time talks rely on shouting rather than tactics, and so isn't particularly suited to the modern game. Yes, Soton were good at home while he was there, but barring the start to this season they always are. He left Sturrock with a bad squad - exception being Beattie (am I right in thinking he didn't buy Beattie and also tried to offload him early on?). He also took Coventry into relegation and given their massive financial problems, presumably spent a lot doing so.

Given our lack of cash, we need either someone who is well-known enough to allow us to punch above our weight in the free transfer market, or a very good coach/tactician who'll bring the best out of the players we have. I don't think Strachan is either. If we have to go with a relative novice then I'd rather have Dowie than Hughes or Coleman. Moyes would be good, but Everton's cash injection/Rooney money will keep him at Goodison.

Robson would be very bad - good as a Director of football to attract players/youth players, but he really is past it now at managing. Plus, we need to improve at the back and let's face it, it really isn't Sir Bobby's strength

Houillier/Hoddle - no, no, no, but luckily I suspect Houillier wouldn't consider us.

Can't see why Mike Newell is worth considering after such a short period at Luton (albeit a decent job on a shoestring budget).

Troussier or Hitzfeld would be a clear statement of intent to get back to winning things.

They would be top men to get into the football club. People like Strachan, Dalglish, Robson and Hughes would also be pretty good candidates. Just as long as Ron Atkinson, Terry Venables and George Graham come near the club, then we are getting somewhere. If it takes awhile for the new man to be brought in, who will take over for the time being?

Would be extremely happy with either

Strachan or

Hughes or

Coleman or

the Dalglish/Shearer combination.

Or will we end up with a low grade "Sturrock" type appointment? (Apologies to Rover6)

Strachan - Perhaps but he wanted a break from football and it maybe too soon for him.

Hughes - Possibly

Coleman - Can't see it

the Dalglish/Shearer combination - As much I'd like it, I can't see this either.

For good or for worse I can see an up and coming manager who has been successful in the lower leagues, such as Sturrock or Mike Newell, getting it. This is always a risk though.

Personally I'd like Bobby Robson but at the moment no-one really stands out as a favourite.

Ron Manager would be great.

Managers I wouldnt mind :-

1) Strachen - but has he finished with his time out of football yet?

2) Mark Hughes - but is he too much of a risk

3) Shearer - See above

4) Curbishley - not a chance

5) O'Leary - See above

6) Steve Bruce - See above (as long as he doesnt bring Dunn or Heskey with him)

7) Me

Managers who I would mind being at Rovers

1) Hoddle - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2)Houlier - see above

3) Venables - no thanks

4) Robson (Bobby) nah to old

5) Robson (Brian) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What's all this crud about Shearer being some Alf Ramsey in the making?

It's absolute balls.

Dalglish as well, not a hope in hell, he's finished in management, his spells at Newcastle and Celtic ruined his reputation and he's not been back for years. So a real "finger-on-the-pulse" appointment he'd be! :-S

I think the list will be from:

the usuals:

Graham,

Gregory,

Hoddle,

Venables,

Wilkinson,

Gullit,

Dont want any of them!

Interesting ones may include:

Houllier (no thanks)

Robson (bound to be thrown in, if not just for the irony)

Newell (you never know)

Ternant (did a good job with limited resources at dingles, but no thanks)

Strachan (could be the best choice)

Hughes (radio lancs said it was thought we had already approached him)

Adams (under fire at leicester but a good manager, not for me though)

Dalglish (come on you know you all want him, newell as assistant then??)

Warnock (has always done a decent job)

Dowie (good young manager, would prefer someone else)

Megson (bound to be in the bookies shake-up, buys too many unknowns)

Kidd (sorry! biggrin.gif )

Cotterill (has had a decent start at dingles, doesn't he usually move after this long in charge unsure.gif )

Hitzfeld (unsure if he would come)

Moyes (on a hiding to nothing at everton)

anyone else??

Edited by laughatthedingles

If we have to go with a relative novice then I'd rather have Dowie than Hughes or Coleman. Moyes would be good, but Everton's cash injection/Rooney money will keep him at Goodison.

Good shout, you can also add Dowie and Moyes to the list of people I'd be extremely happy with.

Just didn't think they'd be likely to jump ship in current circumstances.

I'm not convinced that Hughes will come. For a welshman, being manager during a World Cup campaign which features England at the Millenium Stadium must be a big deal. In any event how good is Hughes as a manager. I was none too impressed with the way Wales set about playing Russia in the playoffs.