589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

And what had RFW done prior to joining Manure? Played for Dunfermline and Rangers. Then he managed Aberdeen and made them into a good side by Scottish standards. Next stop: Old Trafford!!

He's also briefly managed Scotland- I think after Jock Stein died. And don't forget St Mirrin!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what had RFW done prior to joining Manure? Played for Dunfermline and Rangers. Then he managed Aberdeen and made them into a good side by Scottish standards. Next stop: Old Trafford!!

True but the game has changed since then, and so have United in that time too. I think that United next manager is more likely to be a big name manager with more credentials than Hughes. Although depends what Hughes can accomplish before ol RFW decides its time to go.

Not a good sign.

There would have been doubts about Hughes/Neville after Sparky told him to shut up in no uncertain terms. Given Neville's spokesman-like status at OT, this is probably more than just a gobby player having his say.

As the Glazers are cash strapped, Sparky will come a darn sight cheaper than most alternatives as well.

I was actually surprised over Christmas to talk to some United fans who didn't even consider Hughes to be in the running. They thought he wasn't nearly a big enough name and that when Ferguson goes that it is most likely that a foreign manager will be brought in.

Eddie, this was the case with me about a year ago when several Utd fans said he was too inexperienced.

This is Hughes' main ambition to move to Old Trafford. He's done a fantastic job with the limitations he has. He's brought Gamst, Tugay, Bentley and Benni onto levels we wouldn't really have expected. The signings in Nelsen, Bellamy, Savage and Bentley were amongst the best buys in the Premiership.

My feeling is, that he has done all that he can do with Rovers. An average crowd of approx. 21,000, a top 6 placing in the league, x2 semi-finals. I think he is starting to bang his head against the brick wall with the injuries, over-priced players and our brilliant run that came to an end against rock-bottom Watford.

I would really loathe the day that Mr Hughes' leaves our beloved Ewood Park, but will never forget the work he has done for us. Not only did he play an important role for us winning promotion to the Premiership and helping us win the Worthington Cup with his role in midfield. Mr Hughes ia a very intelligent and astute manager, who seems to be a great motivator for all the lads who work under him, I feel he's gone at the end of next season.

A legend, who has graced both the pitch and sidelines of Ewood.

Man utd official site.

Hughes wanted to replace Fergie.

Complete non-story.

Just one player's opinion. And a gobby little shop-steward streak of brown stuff at that.

So, Hughes is wanted by Gabby Neville once Fergie retires. Hardly worth getting agitated about, is it? That's not to say it won't happen, but the headline "Hughes wanted to replace Fergie" is misleading and hysterical in teh best tabloid traditions.

eddie/groo

unlike someone else who won silverware.........

hughes wont be tapped by utd they will go INTERNATIONAL and Big name for sure...but I remember when we signed him we were all resigned to losing him to utd if he did good tho.

Edited by ABBEY

Complete non-story.

Just one player's opinion. And a gobby little shop-steward streak of brown stuff at that.

So, Hughes is wanted by Gabby Neville once Fergie retires. Hardly worth getting agitated about, is it? That's not to say it won't happen, but the headline "Hughes wanted to replace Fergie" is misleading and hysterical in teh best tabloid traditions.

:D

eddie/groo

unlike someone else who won silverware.........

hughes wont be tapped by utd they will go INTERNATIONAL and Big name for sure...but I remember when we signed him we were all resigned to losing him to utd if he did good tho.

Well Mr Souness was also a success in my own honest opinion.

It would be great for United to go International and look elsewhere, but they will be making a 'hughes' mistake. At the end of teh day he also has experience on the International front as both a player and manager. He brough Wlaes from the doledrums and left them with an exciting future, only for John Toshack to feck things up for them.

• 1 month later...

"THE ARM-WRESTLER GROWING RESTLESS AT ROVERS"

It says that, but the article does not address the headline at all. There are no quote from Hughes and the hack suggests nothing of the sort. He just thinks Rovers is too small a club for him. There is no need to get upset at what people write about. Hughes will leave when the time comes for him to leave.

Oh, I agree, James. Not upset, just fed up with the hacks rooting round for rubbish to write. Still, par for the course and all that I guess. Having said that, Hughes is his own man and Hughes will do what Hughes wants to do and he will not go anywhere unless the terms and conditions have been gone through with a fine tooth-comb and are to his liking and specification.

Having said that, Hughes is his own man and Hughes will do what Hughes wants to do and he will not go anywhere unless the terms and conditions have been gone through with a fine tooth-comb and are to his liking and specification.

That's the spirit!

There's a lot of rubbish that flies around trying to bring Rovers down these days, so I just try and avoid it when I can, which is undoubtedly doing wonders for my long-term health!

Oh, I agree, James. Not upset, just fed up with the hacks rooting round for rubbish to write. Still, par for the course and all that I guess. Having said that, Hughes is his own man and Hughes will do what Hughes wants to do and he will not go anywhere unless the terms and conditions have been gone through with a fine tooth-comb and are to his liking and specification.
Absolutely right Mum. Also IMHO I think Sparky has a very real and genuine affection for Blackburn Rovers. Hence I don't think he will leave easily. It will, as you said, take a very special club and offer to make him think seriously of leaving Ewood Park. The media can speculate and try to unsettle him as much as they like; but if MH does not think it is genuinely the best thing for him, he wont even give it a second thought. And I really can't think of any other manager that you could say that about. Edited by Fife Rover

It's a hard call, Mum. I think it's a bit early to go saying he's gone, but at the same time once Fergie leaves, or possibly even Mourinho, I think he's gone. Nothing less than that, though.

As good as Sparky is, he hasn't achieved anything near what he needs to have done to be considered for the Man Utd and Chelsea jobs. The only thing that possibly makes him a candidate for the Old Trafford hot seat is his past connection with the club, but I doubt the Glazers would let sentiment come into their decision.

Taking the blue and white tinted specs off for a moment, what has Sparky done to elevate himself above Big Sam? Nothing in my opinion. If we finish mid-table and get defeated by one of the big two in the semi's of the FA Cup, it will be an acceptable season...not one that puts you in frame for the biggest jobs in football.

Anyone else think that we should be delighted about Roy Keane's apparent talent for management? If Sunderland continue their good form in the Premiership under Keane, we have less to worry about in terms of Fergie's successor imo.

Anyone else think that we should be delighted about Roy Keane's apparent talent for management? If Sunderland continue their good form in the Premiership under Keane, we have less to worry about in terms of Fergie's successor imo.

Unfortunately Roy Keane's only doing well at championship level, Mark Hughes has done it in the premiership and at international level. Personally I don't think either will become Fergie's successor and Man U will look abroad for their next manager a la Chelsea and Arsenal.

If Hughes goes to one of the big 4 then we cannot complain and it would have a flip side...... It will mean that he has carried us to success above our station. Similarly if one of the big continental clubs comes a calling although that is less likely imo. If however he does a Lucas and goes to a rival club that offers more filthy lucre then I will be seriously p1ssed off.

Alternatively we should remember that Graeme Souness's first 3 years in tenure were a resounding success so by that yardstick in another 2/3 years we may well be calling for Sparky's head on a platter. :o

• 4 weeks later...