589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

Its just Jim being Jim, he loved Dwight Yorke at one stage too.

But he does raise one valid point, He did get the UEFA cup selection wrong in my eyes. 1 up front when we needed to score goals was not the way forward.

Still I certainly wouldn't swap him with any other manager in the league. I'd love to see our expenditure on transfers over the last 3 seasons, think we are running a very tight ship at the moment.

I'll have a look at the Henry Winter article now, he's always been very complementry about us in the past.

Agreed. Great choice; great manager; wouldn't swap him even for Martin O'Neil. Just to put some context in to the debate however, big mistake to enter the UEFA Cup at all (see Pompey result - look at Bolton's situation). Probably entering the whole tin pot/losers cup (ratio of 10 useless games for 1 worthwhile one) was a sop to MH's ego. If that's what keeps him happy however, :rover: then UEFA Cup 2008 here we come!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Great choice; great manager; wouldn't swap him even for Martin O'Neil. Just to put some context in to the debate however, big mistake to enter the UEFA Cup at all (see Pompey result - look at Bolton's situation). Probably entering the whole tin pot/losers cup (ratio of 10 useless games for 1 worthwhile one) was a sop to MH's ego. If that's what keeps him happy however, :rover: then UEFA Cup 2008 here we come!

Don't agree at all. I love being in the UEFA Cup, and am gutted we're out.

There's surely the case that in the past we've perhaps not started well enough in the league becaue we've been a bit cautious in pre-season, playing teams slightly below standard in the last few years. the competitive nature of the games in this years pre-season may be one of the factors in our great start.

Only 2/10 with this post I'm afraid , jim .

You're getting just a bit too predictable these days , old chap :(

He does have a point though.

Despite the fact that Hughes is a better manager in almost every department, it could be argued he has achieved nothing at Rovers yet. That, with luck or a set of Home draws and Sheff Weds in a semi, will come

Only 7/10 so far ; he has to win summat before he can be compared with the great Graeme Souness.

Does no one think jim was on one of his usual wind ups with that one? And I think he's reeled a few in.

He sent me giggling to bed last night with that!.

He might have had a point except for the fact that it usually took Souness until the beginning of February to accumulate 21 Premiership points! :)

Jim, intentional or not, I enjoyed that one. Thank you sir!.

:tu:

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I bet it'll be Fergie. They have won all their games too - and keep scoring 4 in fairness.

True, but then Hughes has managed October's performance on about 1/% of Fergie's budget... I know which I think is more deserving of the manager of the month (although I hope Hughes' doesn't win as we all know what an albatross that award is for most managers.

On another note, nice to see us getting more plaudits www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=4982

True, but then Hughes has managed October's performance on about 1/% of Fergie's budget... I know which I think is more deserving of the manager of the month (although I hope Hughes' doesn't win as we all know what an albatross that award is for most managers.

On another note, nice to see us getting more plaudits www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=4982

LeftWinger's right I reckon. All those 4-0s win.

Plus Rovers have got Man U coming up and we could do with the curse landing on RFW rather than Hughesy! :)

As mentioned above...Hughes must be a contender for Manager of the Month.

Mark Hughes has never won the Premiership Manager of the Month award. With 5 wins out of 5 in October...is now the time?

The last Rovers boss to win the award was actually Brian Kidd (!) way back in December 1998.

United however also won five out of five in October...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I think that my suggestion in making Mark Hughes and his team benefit financially and massively from a %age of their transfer dealings and initiatives (obviously under regulation) is now looking like a good option in order to keep him here. Their must be the avaricious eyes of many club chairmen being cast his way now.

As mentioned above...Hughes must be a contender for Manager of the Month.

Mark Hughes has never won the Premiership Manager of the Month award. With 5 wins out of 5 in October...is now the time?

The last Rovers boss to win the award was actually Brian Kidd (!) way back in December 1998.

United however also won five out of five in October...

The award is a jinx. :wacko:

Mike Ashley rubbishes media reports linking Mark Hughes. But word for BFS, watch for Alan Shearer...

Footballfancast praise for Sparky. Interesting when I read the claims for Moyes and O'neill as best manager of a non-top 4 club, my instinctive reaction was "you must be joking". That really brought home how far Sparky has progressed for me.

Edited by philipl

Thankfully, the Wigan vacancy seems to be one Hughesy isn't being linked with! Unsurprising I know, but I just looked at the oddschecker odds, and they've not got Hughes on the list- but Mourinho is 100-1 for it, and probably more astonishingly, Benitez is 40-1 with Betfred!

Incidentally, my immediate instinct when Hutchings was sacked was that Jewel would be back. Wish I'd bet on it then, naff odds now.

Edited by bluebruce

Considering the bad blood history between them, the bookies must have been ecstatic when the Souey to Wigan bandwagon got going. Dave Whelan has just brought himself to utter a dignified: "I've not spoken to Graeme for three years," he said. "I've never spoken to him at all about being the manager of Wigan. How that story's come about is a mystery to me." (BBC)