• Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that Hughes' ability to attract top Premier League or continental players has probably never been higher, isn't it time for the Board/Trust to trust MH's judgment & really back him up in the January transfer window?

If we don't break in to the top 4 at the end of the season, any loss of outlay could be comfortably mitigated in selling on any player/s (either from within the existing squad or from any new recruits) MH deems surplus to requirements in the summer. Any sales would still probably be conducted at an overall profit compared to any outlay made in January.

This hardly makes any outlay MH might feel we need to push us towards a final top 4 finish much of a gamble - in the financial sense at least.

I'm not advocating the club spending just for the sake of spending, but if there are more expensive targets out there that MH feels will push us on, he should be given the funds. There is a sense of stasis coming from the board, probably linked to it being distracted by its wooing of any consortium that cocks it hat towards it.

If we just fail at the end of the season, one or two players might start to feel restless, particularly if they sense a lack of ambition from the board. They (or probably their agents) might start to agitate for a move in any case, possibly forcing the club's hand from a position of weakness. If they see Hughes being handed the resources he deserves however, this would be a less likely scenario.

I know that people won't be able to read them but there were two articles about the Rovers this week on Korea's biggest portal site - attracts something like 40 million hits a day.

The first was written by an English writer -you can see the English version below the Korean one. The translator had problems with the words "unfashionable outfit" and at first thought it meant that people didn't like the blue and white shirts.

The second is done by a Korean.

Mark Hughes and Blackburn -above our imagination

Blackburn Rovers - a typhoon that has already started

Most of the comments below the articles are very positive.

Presumably the one about if SAF goes and they want him at United before the end of the contract period, but other than that probably nothing more than the norm - the ones about compensation etc. Strikes me as a decent bloke who'll protect his interests without trying to get one over on the club that's given him his chance.

What is becoming ever clearer is how much of a unit Mark Hughes and his back room team are.

Losing them all would be a body blow to Rovers but absorbing them could be a head ache even for MU. Would Ferguson really want to see his entire support team lose their jobs when he retires?

No doubt club management/ownership and Mark Hughes have sat down and addressed all possibilities in pulling the new contracts together. What is not yet clear is whether the rolling element is continued, extended or ended.

What is becoming ever clearer is how much of a unit Mark Hughes and his back room team are.

Losing them all would be a body blow to Rovers but absorbing them could be a head ache even for MU. Would Ferguson really want to see his entire support team lose their jobs when he retires?

No doubt club management/ownership and Mark Hughes have sat down and addressed all possibilities in pulling the new contracts together. What is not yet clear is whether the rolling element is continued, extended or ended.

If you think that would stop United approaching Hughes, or Hughes accepting, then you're dafter than I thought.

If you think that would stop United approaching Hughes, or Hughes accepting, then you're dafter than I thought.

We all know that it wont stop MU anybody coming in for Hughes if they want him enough, but is does mean that they will have to pay us more for him.

Sorry, I felt like being naughty. Couldn't find anything I wrote as I don't think I was on board at the time. I think my choices were 1. Strachan 2. Dowie 3. Hughes. And there was not much between them. Surprised at USABlue's hostility at the time.

Just picked up on this. I put my hands up. I was completely wrong. Am happy with Hughes, and have been pretty much soon after he joined.

• 1 month later...

Hughes has been coming out with statements about games that are totally skewed from what i am watching, blaming referees when the team has been crap, not acknowledging poor refereeing decision that have got Rovers off the hook, playing Mokoena, waiting till the second half to make the changes, playing Nelsen when hes dire, overlooking the negatives clinging to something that isnt there.

Hughes tells us this is the best squad hes ever had when it clearly isnt - did we hear that once under Souness just before he departed.

The non denial of being interested in the Newcastle job.

At every press opportunity Hughes keeps telling us all how good he and his staff are, is he openly selling his team whilst the team are playing abysmally whilst many of the fans blame it on lack of funds.

Come this summer if Hughes cant bring ONE quality player in to give everyone a lift then his time is up come the summer.

• 3 months later...

I think the progress being made at the club is very commendable. With 3 quality strikers over the last 3 seasons, plus

2006-2007 10 Blackburn Rovers 38 9 3 7 31 25 6 4 9 21 29 -2 52

2007-2008 7 Blackburn Rovers 37 8 7 4 26 19 7 6 5 23 25 5 58

With a potential top 6 finish (fingers crossed), a 60 point finish is very good i think. If we can keep hold of our quality players and strengthen with some more gems in the summer then the future at rovers looks very promising