589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

I think we are in for very interesting season to see if Hughes can live up to the expectations that everyone has of him. My only real doubts are his lack of premiership experience and he has no experience of dealing with the transfer market.

However what is for certain is that Rovers have appointed someone who has a huge amount of potential and is highly regarded by many within the game. He took over a welsh side was was in disarray and with the limited talent that was/is at his disposal was able to not only improve them but also take them to the brink of a major championship.

Everyone deserves a chance and therefore we should all get behind Sparkie and hopefully with hard work and a little bit of luck he can take the club forward.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of his lack of Premiership experience gets to me a bit. Wenger, Mourinho, Benmitez, had no Premiership experience, even Ferguson had no top flight experience in England before he took over at Man United

Curbishley, Allardyce, McClaren, Bruce, Coleman, none of them had Premiership experience until they were given the opportunity. Surely there aren't many Premiership managers who actually had Premiership experience before taking over at their current club. The only ones I can think of are:

Souness - Newcastle

Redknapp - Portsmouth

O'Leary - Villa

Keegan - Man Citeh

They are the only managers who had top flight experience in the Prem before taking over their current job. I don't see the lack of Premiership experience as a problem.

Hughes was an exceptionally good player, and therefore will automatically command the respect of the players. He even played with some of our current squad and effectively won them a Worthington Cup medal on his own.

Whether he has the tactical nouse to cut it at premiership level, only time will tell, but look who he has worked for over his career:

Big Ron Atkinson

Johann Cruyff

Sir Bobby Robson

Whingebag Jock arsehole Ferguson

Glenda Hoddle

Ruud Gullit

Walter Smith

Souness

Not too shabby. He is intelligent and articulate (notwithstanding the fact that he's welsh) and so if he's picked up 5% of what each of that list knows, then I suspect he will be more than equipped to take us forward.

I'm pleased.

At the time of Souness' departure I hoped that Strachan or Hughes would get the job. During the intervening period, and having seen the names of all the other 'possibles' I'm happy with how things have turned out.

My only reservations are, as Kamy100 has just pointed out, he's untested in the transfer market. I don't doubt that he has the big-name pulling power to attract players to the club - but will they be the right players? At Wales this was not an issue. Maybe it won't be much of an issue here if the board are unable to provide him with much funding.

For optimism we need look no further than Chris Coleman to see that a manager with limited club management experience can make it work. There are many similarities between Fulham and Rovers, from having a high-profile manager leading them to the Premiership before reaching the end of their shelf life, to the clubs consolidating their places in the Premiership (yes, in our case consolidation may not be the appropriate word at this time!), to suffering a tightening of the purse strings and having to survive on "modest" attendances.

If Coleman has managed this and prospered since his appointment, then why can't Sparky given the quality of the squad he now has at his disposal.

I'm now looking forward to the weekend for more reason than not being at work!

I like the comparison with Chris Coleman. It shows you can do a decent job without experience.

If Hughes can sort out our defence, he's on to a winner.

The man appears to have the right personality to be a successful manager. The main thing he needs is an inner hunger to do well.

Both Dalglish and Souness felt they had something to prove to the footballing community and appeared to be motivated by a strong desire to succeed as much for their own sake as for Rovers.

Hughes needs to want something similar for himself. I don't honestly know if he has.

Looking forward to Saturday and the hope that our under-performing players pull their collective finger out and play with some intelligence and commitment.

Well I think its a good choice,he will have picked up training coaching tips from the biggest clubs in europe not to mention contacts.If he is being groomed for the man u job so what if he gets it it means hes done a good job for us.By that time mr hendry will be ready rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Not only that dont forget his man u coonection!!WE ARE DEFO GOING TO GET A PEN ON SATURDAY!!!!!!

Im writing this as ive just finished a 26hour shift and as i speak ive got a bacon/sausage/egg barm and a can of bud ....night night

Mark Hughes' barmy Army!!!

Was thinking of possible songs myself.

1st choice for me, well chuffed. thumbs-up.gif

Come on i know im a genius!!!

Beats any of Cucumbers efforts anyway.

#...Start spreading the Huuuuuuuughes, we're playing todayyyyyyyyy...#

Anyway, very pleased with the appointment, especially as Betfair now owe me £295. Anyone know why they havent settled up yet?! ph34r.gif

Very happy with the appointment. Didn't really have a first choice. Hughes, Dowie, Moyes, Megson or Strachan would have all been welcome at Ewood for me.

OK so he doesn't have premiership experience but that is not going to guarantee success on the pitch, Hughes may succeed he may fail. If it's the latter I'm damn sure it will not be down to a lack of effort on his part.

All we can do is give him time and support the team 100%

I for one am confident he can turn Rovers around thumbs-up.gifrover.gif

When did he sign? I went out for a couple of hours last night asked my dad when i got in about 9 he hadn't heard anything. Put SSN on and still nothing. W oke up this morning to find out he took over today. Still didn't make the headlines tho.

C'mon Hughesy. Our season starts Sat. Well pleased.

Fantastic appointment. Credit must go to the board, especially John Williams for getting their man. He was first choice and I feel Rovers have gone about getting him in the right way... approached Wales correctly and no hard feelings.

I know he hasn't managed at Premiership level before but he has shown his managerial skills as an internaional manager turning the fate of Welsh football round.

He seems to earn the respect of the players too which can only be a good thing.. I think he will do a good job at rovers.... After he kicks a few players, who are under-performing into touch. Roll on Saturday!

tinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.gif

Haven't been as excited about a manger since we signed King Kenny!!

Season starts on saturday ....

sort out the defence, If stead can learn to hold the ball up half as good as

sparky could he will be a world class striker

bring on the pompy!!!!

rover.giftinykit.gifrover.gif

Would any of our defence get in the Welsh National team. It was not just the last two results either the Welsh choked when it was theirs to win. If you remember when we struggled we did well against Arse Man U Chelsea but the little boys stuffed us. Bit like Wales. When the chips were down the Taffs were annhialated.

True enough but at least Sparky will be able to buy and bring in players - something that international managers can't do. If our defence get ripped to bits on Saturday cos the players aren't good enough it wont be hughes fault. Like with Wales he can only do it with the players at his disposal (which is still worrying for the next few months).

( On second thoughts I'd suspect that Neil, and Gray probably would get into that Welsh defence which shows what any Welsh manager is up against)

This is great news for the club. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sparky can make his mark at this level and feel a lot more positive about the future. I'm sure we'll see many more happy faces before the match on Saturday (and hopefully even happier after the match!). The atmosphere around the club has been a little deflated for a while and to be honest this is the best thing that has happened to Rovers for some time.

As usual, Rovers have conducted themselves very professionally since Magnum's departure and JW must be given a lot of credit for the way he has handled such a delicate situation with the FAW.

For once, it seems that the board, the players and the fans got the man they wanted. I know he hasn't managed a club side before, let alone one in the Premiership, but I'm confident that he's the right man for us at this point in time.

Come on you Blues! tinykit.gif

Like with Wales he can only do it with the players at his disposal (which is still worrying for the next few months).

Or encouraging, when you consider what position they were in when he took over, and where they are now.

Hughes was an exceptionally good player, and therefore will automatically command the respect of the players. He even played with some of our current squad and effectively won them a Worthington Cup medal on his own.

Whether he has the tactical nouse to cut it at premiership level, only time will tell, but look who he has worked for over his career:

Big Ron Atkinson

Johann Cruyff

Sir Bobby Robson

Whingebag Jock arsehole Ferguson

Glenda Hoddle

Ruud Gullit

Walter Smith

Souness

Not too shabby. He is intelligent and articulate (notwithstanding the fact that he's welsh) and so if he's picked up 5% of what each of that list knows, then I suspect he will be more than equipped to take us forward.

Excellent post CB along with samozzie.

I voted yes also, as I didn't really have a 'first choice', however Hughes was one of the first that came into my head when Souness left . I thought we would have kept him after the two years as a sidekick to Souness and I am positive I read somewhere that he was in contact with Rovers anyway over the years.

Anyway, regardless of Hughes being appointed we would have been having the same sort of questions and answers for whoever we appointed and I think for the majority of the runners would have got the yes vote.

What I can't comprehend is this experience lark - TND/ USA the football world is also littered by many so called ' expereinced manager' who doesn't have a job because basically they where not good enough - sort of disprove your comments.

As CB states look at his record during his playing years and the way he conducted himself- this was not a player that wanted to lose and gave everything when he crossed that white line and did so for Rovers in his twilight ( Unlike Yorke and to some Cole) - there was no moaning from him and falling over when somebody whispered in his ear.

He has taken an international team - I repeat international team out of the doldrums and given the belief back to them that they can actually achieve something. Exactly what our gutless negatively disorganised team needs at the moment.

I have said it before whoever we appointed, would not have experience anyway as they have not managed Rovers before - at least Hughes will have a bit of knowledge from his time with us and he certainly didn't let us down then. The likening of him to Kidd as well are of the mark as Kidd was not a manager - Hughes is.

As for the transfer market - look at the Souness buys - some good some bad - so again doesn't really have any credence unless we are going to go out and buy 'top names' which I do believe we are not in the market to attract anyway now. At least we might see some belief to give some of the younger or less experienced players from the First Division a chance.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but there seems to be some issues raised against Hughes which don't have any credence. Maybe if he hadn't played for Rovers and was say managing Ipswich and was getting all the credits from everyone - would some of you have been so against him then? Hypothetically speaking this is the position of Dowie at the moment who was also top of many people's list.

I think the board have acted very professionally in his appointment, although I still feel there was more 'behind the scenes activity' than we are led to believe ( see my comment above about staying in touch) and they must have seen something in him that makes them feel confident about having him as manager. It might be a gamble, but I feel its a gamble the club needed to take

I feel very excited about this and feel he will be a success, just hope we can keep Short on Board as part of the backroom staff to complment his team ( if this is how Short he sees himself when he hangs up his boots that is).

He is respected by his fellow professinals and people alike in the world of Football, and certainly has experince from playing at many levels - some of which many a so called experienced Manager would love to have in his lock up.

Roll on Saturday, he might not get it right straight away but hopefully it will give the players the kick up the backside they are short of.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

Utterly undecided. What else can we be really? It is all guesswork and if we were all such football geniuses we'd make a fortune from betting on results. Actually with T4E making 295 smackeroonies maybe he is a genius but for the rest of us we will have to wait and see.

The one concern for me is that it looks like the obvious option. Would Hughes really have been the overwhelming number one choice if he had not played at Blackburn? As Souness proved himself at Liverpool, managing at a former club does not necessarily have to equate with success.

Although I have often disagreed with USABlue I can understand where he is coming from and think that calling him to not speak and just get behind the team is unfair and out of order as he is just voicing his concerns and will no doubt be supporting Rovers as much as always when we are playing the games. Just because fans are worried does not mean they do not love and support the club as much as always! thumbs-up.gif

Chesh - I don't think Hughes played under Cruyff...wasn't it Venables he played under at Barca?