BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whats Happened To Gally?

benhben

rover.gif i can't see any changes from last week,but he could go on the bench and be in the pecking order,afterall not all 5 subs can be used.but there are one or two who are at' the last chance saloon 'neil and dickov being two tinykit.gif

Agree with you there Waggy. I'd like to see Hughes at least give himself the option of being able to bring Gally in off the bench late in the match. He did great in that role last season.

Gally is hardly likely to be picked to be sat on the bench as a replacement for Neil and he is surely way off competing for either Dickov and Djorkaef's place.

I dont really know why you 2 dislike Dickov so much as imo he has done well this season when playing off a striker. His worst games only came when he was unfairly (due to his stature) played up front on his own as a target man in a 4-5-1 formation when our defenders kept lumping the ball to him in the air. Dickov is worthy of a start simply for his never-say-die attitude.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif i can't see any changes from last week,but he could go on the bench and be in the pecking order,afterall not all 5 subs can be used.but there are one or two who are at' the last chance saloon 'neil and dickov being two tinykit.gif

Agree with you there Waggy. I'd like to see Hughes at least give himself the option of being able to bring Gally in off the bench late in the match. He did great in that role last season.

I dont really know why you 2 dislike Dickov so much as imo he has done well this season when playing off a striker. His worst games only came when he was unfairly (due to his stature) played up front on his own as a target man in a 4-5-1 formation when our defenders kept lumping the ball to him in the air. Dickov is worthy of a start simply for his never-say-die attitude.

Dickov.......... Up front on his own for the second half. Scored the equalizer on 86 mins. Richard Dinnis's MoM.

A large dollop of humble pie for you two I think. rover.gif

Dickov.......... Up front on his own for the second half. Scored the equalizer on 86 mins. Richard Dinnis's MoM.

A large dollop of humble pie for you two I think. rover.gif

Yeah a goal off his shoulder against a team that have not won in th PL for 10 years, its typical Dickov really, I predicted he would score before the game as he does score sometimes you know, thats 2 points for the season his goals have earnt us, this being the most important, everybody respects his workrate, just not his overal quality, that's very clear, he's part of currently the wrose team in our league.

We are still 20th in the league, this is what happen to Rover6 last season, everytime we won which was rare, "rover6 should eat humble pie" and then we finish a few points of relegation.

Look at McEveley, out in the dark for a long time then gets his chance and takes it. Give Gally a chance, and send Bothy back to Italy!

Going a bit far aren't we? Every player makes mistakes and think if Sir Alex had sold Keane because of 'mistakes'. I think Bothroyd will learn from this- he has to- and I heard he was actually posing Norwich quite a threat (in a footballing sense tongue.gif ) before going a complete idiot.

Edited by Ewood Dream

We are still 20th in the league, this is what happen to Rover6 last season, everytime we won which was rare, "rover6 should eat humble pie" and then we finish a few points of relegation.

yeah but you're a complete pr!ck

at least Rover6 has a few get out clauses

rover.gif i hold my hand up,i do not rate dickov because to me he offers very little apart from effort.there is no future in paul dickov-the future is stead and gally,when he was signed i took stick for stating my views and i will again no doubt.

i saw the man giving a interview saying he knows his limitations,very honest pro.and whilst he pulls on the shirt off blackburn rovers he will recieve my support. tinykit.gif

Dickov's workrate was once more exemplorary yesterday, but he never really looked a threat. Bothroyd, however, did - largely because of his strength and height.

In the first half Rovers could never manage more than two players in the box at once and Dickov was never going to be able to do much when constantly out-strengthened and out-numbered. In the second half this only got worse when Bothroyd was sent off. He was at times surrounded by 3,4,5 norwich defenders at once and never stood a chance. I remember one opprtunity when he went passed a norwich player who looked to pull him back as he entered the box, other than that he was pretty non-effectual.

Sure he scored the goal and he ran his socks off and he was on his own most of the match, and he probably deserves a place in the team for his spirit alone, but the attack really needs sorting out. Bothroyd looks like a quality player but needs a clinical finisher to compliment his excellent link play with midfield. Gallagher is not that player.

Edited by tcj_jones

To all you Dickov haters, (too bad we can't just sign up the Henrys and Rooneys of the World) remember when Rovers signed him? There was 8 or 9 other Prem clubs after his signature. Whose judgement do you suppose I would trust, the pros or yours.

You simply must be too thick to understand what kind of a lift Dickov's work rate gives to the team as a whole. I agree I might not start him all the timebut his nuisance factor is huge, who cares how he got the ball in the net. The simple fact that Norwich were putting several defenders on him at a time sends a clear message about how good Dickov is. Until the likes of Gally start to perform and Stead recovers his scoring touch he would be one of the first names on the team sheet in my team. You need to understand his whole game.

The simple fact that Norwich were putting several defenders on him at a time sends a clear message about how good Dickov is.

Ah that isn't true USA, he had so many players on him because Rovers just were not commiting enough players forward throughout the game. Add to that that Bothroyd, the strongest player on the pitch, was off and Norwich were having an easy time of it until we actually started to commit men forward in the last 20 mins.

yeah but you're a complete pr!ck

at least Rover6 has a few get out clauses

you are pathetic biggrin.gif

Edited by chris

The simple fact that Norwich were putting several defenders on him at a time sends a clear message about how good Dickov is.

Ah that isn't true USA, he had so many players on him because Rovers just were not commiting enough players forward throughout the game. Add to that that Bothroyd, the strongest player on the pitch, was off and Norwich were having an easy time of it until we actually started to commit men forward in the last 20 mins.

Could there be a little Chicken and Egg thing here, is it possible that we started to commit men forward DUE TO the space that Dickov was helping to create by drawing so many players. Did this tactic of putting so many players on Dickov not serve to help balance out our one man disadvantage.

Sorry I have seen it many many times with Dickov he will command the attention a couple of players or tie one player up so much it creates a lot of openings for others. If our players fully understood what was going on and looked for his scraps this would be much more fruitful, he just does not get the support or credit he deserves on or off the pitch. I hold the opinion that Dickovs mere presence was what helped us hold Liverpool, he got in their heads.

Add to that that Bothroyd, the strongest player on the pitch, was off

It's about 8 years since I have seen our centre forward physically boss opposing centre halves so comfortably and yet have such good ball control. JB knocked Hyppia about with ease last week and until his stupid retaliation Svenson had literally bounced off him 3/4 times. Powerful shots in both feet too (that 2nd save by Green was exceptional because his view of Bothroyd was blocked) and a fair turn of pace.

He should have it all but I can only assume that his temperament must be hideous. I know that Arsenal sacked him for dissing Don Howe (of courderoy trilby fame blink.gif ), Coventry for falling out with Strachan, but does anybody know what went on at Perugia? Could Bothroyd be the new Collymore?

It's about 8 years since I have seen our centre forward physically boss opposing centre halves so comfortably and yet have such good ball control. JB knocked Hyppia about with ease last week and until his stupid retaliation Svenson had literally bounced off him 3/4 times. Powerful shots in both feet too (that 2nd save by Green was exceptional because his view of Bothroyd was blocked) and a fair turn of pace.

He should have it all but I can only assume that his temperament must be hideous. I know that Arsenal sacked him for dissing Don Howe (of courderoy trilby fame blink.gif ), Coventry for falling out with Strachan, but does anybody know what went on at Perugia? Could Bothroyd be the new Collymore?

I would take the Collymore between the age of 22 and 26 years old, he was class and could score from anywhere, after that maybe not

I think in Italy he did quite well but got injuried and then lost his place.

I know that Arsenal sacked him for dissing Don Howe (of courderoy trilby fame blink.gif ), Coventry for falling out with Strachan, but does anybody know what went on at Perugia? Could Bothroyd be the new Collymore?

Coventry bought him for £1 million I think, he wasn't sacked by Arsenal. I think his contract ran out at Coventry and he decided to take advantage of the Bosman rule and chance it in Italy...he did ok with Perugia but they were relegated so I imagine they were needing players off the wage bill.

well anyway we still need a striker that scores more goals whether its with or without Dickov in the team if we are to get off the bottom and into satefy.

we are one of the three worse team in terms of scoring goals and are the wosre team defensively.

But now we are three games without Bothroyd, and Dickov is statistically getting exactly 1 goal in every 4 games, same as last season.

It will be interesting to see who Hughes plays at the weekend

Exactly. But does that mean he is class or still in the Ashley Ward school of strikers?

don't prejudge Dickov, according to Tris a 32 years old is too young to prejudge, a striker has to be at least 40 yrs old.

They give it 100% both of them. Ward scored something like 6 goals in around 16 games for Blackburn in the PL which is ok, didn't stop us finishing 19th but not bad return for him.

Edited by chris

I must say that Bothroyd impressed me all the way back at Portsmouth and I really thought he could be a hit. He was just the player we needed in a lighweight attack of Dickov and Stead. His power is immense and he created so many chances when he dropped back into midfield yesterday - he was the only quality on the pitch.

He isn't a regular goalscorer - but what he will do is create goals through his linkage play. We need a clinical finisher to play alongside him. Is Stead that man? All I know is that Gallagher certainly isn't and that we do not have the funds to bring one in. If only Cole were still around...

don't prejudge Dickov, according to Tris a 32 years old is too young to prejudge, a striker has to be at least 40 yrs old.

If you don't find a quote to back up that ridiculous claim, I might have to sue you .

Which would in itself be hilarious.

laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.giftinykit.gif

Edited by Tris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.