BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whats Happened To Gally?

benhben

I don't think there's a place in the team for Danns, but if he can show some spark in training, who knows?

Chris, what I don't understand is why you're attacking Dickov out of all of our strikers. He's by far the best one, and he was not brought in to replace Cole. Cole left for different reasons. Dickov was originally supposed to be a sub to replace Stead or Cole, but when Cole left he stepped into the starting role and has proven that he deserves it.

i'm defending my position that we struggled this season and not score enough goals, I don't blame Dickov I blame Souness for actually what has happen, currently we are heading for relegation.

To be honest he doing exactly what I expected he would. I never doubted he score some goals and wroked very hard, always been a fans fav.

sadly we don't have a Baros, Cole or Hasslebank who going to add that bit of quality thats wins games.

Stead's was playing well with Cole and is not with Dickov, i won't have broke that partnership up, but maybe Stead would have still been crap this season, we will never know.

so basically I'm disapointed that we are going to have to rely on the goals of Dickov to get us out of relegation. It could be extremely close in May, this should have all been avoided.

Edited by chris

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hold my hand up,i do not rate dickov because to me he offers very little apart from effort.there is no future in paul dickov-the future is stead and gally,when he was signed i took stick for stating my views and i will again no doubt.

the criticism of Dickov not scoring enough is completely unfounded when comparing him to Cole. Cole scored 11 goals for us last season while Dickov scored 14 for leicester.

The problem lies, not with the strikers, but the supply and support coming from midfield. something which has already started to, and i'm sure will continue to, improve under hughes.

Dickov will score more goals this season than any of our previous strikers have in a season since we got promoted....then you will be eating your words!! (or i will be eating mine!!! sad.gif )

I don't think Chris is critiscising Dikov in particular; just pointing out his limitations. I think that he's been a great addition to the squad, but he's nowhere near as good a player as Cole.

That's the problem I have with the current situation. We've started the season without a strike partnership again. For this we can blame Souness. Not Dickov or Chris.

Just look down the East Lancs road and I see a former Rover (Bent) doing very well in a hardworking Everton team. We sold him to fund the cash for Cole. Good move at the time. But now we've sold Cole for absolutely nothing and in doing so have turned Jonny Stead from being a blinding striker into a player severly lacking in confidence. For all of Dickov's hard work and skill, I think he's a bit of a greedy player and doesn't create space as well for other players like Cole did.

We have to move on now, and get on with it. But it's blatently obvious we have a striker problem. We have 5 of them. They're all decent but none of them appear to be clicking. Very worrying.

when we are in the top 10 and he has 15 goals then I will say that selling Cole and buying Dickov was ok

but heading for down my Christmas, and a penalty, think not, but well done to Dickov he's playing to the best of his ability.

I don't think the strikers did anywhere near enough today or this season, yeah Dickov scored a penalty but he missed chances, chances that win games, chances need to be scored to avoid relegation.

But really I should be more critical of other strikers, because they are letting us down badly at the moment.

Dickov gives 100% so I don't dislike him as a person, I think he lacks that extra quality that wins games, you can disagree.

With Andy Cole we would have won today. end of

How many chances did Mr Cole miss.

"I don't think Chris is critiscising Dikov in particular; just pointing out his limitations"

"Yes, Chris is criticising Dickov and has been for some time."

i'm not criticising Dickov, what has he done wrong, nothing at all, he's works very hard, scoring some goals. I'm not going to boo him or anything.

I'm questioning whether signing Dickov has taken the team forward or in reverse.

all I can say again is I'm disappointed that we are going to have to rely on the goals of Dickov to get us out of relegation.

9 points from 13 games, 2nd lowest scorers in the league, 11 games without going a goal ahead and 12 out of 13 without a winning goal.

I have to admit at the time playing Dickov upfront on his own and 20th in the league really depressed me, but things have been better the last two games, Its the bare minimum and has to be maintained and hope we are not relegated.

maybe I come over a bit too harsh, I was way to harsh on Amo last season which I got allot of stick for, although most people are worse then me now with him and Matteo.

Edited by chris

Fulham with Cole in the lineup - 11 points

Blackburn with Dickov in the lineup - 9 points

Not a huge difference. I will give you, however, that we do need another in-form striker. Had the board released the funds for JFH, that would have helped, but in a season or 2, we would have been saddled with another moping overpaid striker. We probably should have made more of a play for Radzinsky.

Dickov is doing a great job, but I'd prefer to see one of 2 things: First, his running around opening up spaces for another, in-form striker (we were starting to see that with Jay before "the incident" - he even had 2 really good chances before being sent off). Second, I'd like to see "the pest" coming on with his fresh legs against the tired legs of the defenders for the last 20-30 minutes. I think Dickov would be MUCH more effective in that role. Yes, he has a few goals now, but who knows how many more he might have had he been being used in that role all season.

I don't think anyone is faulting Dickov, but we think he can be used more effectively.

Sorry to interupt but anyone know why Gally was not on the bench yesterday?

rover.gif just been to whalley to watch junior play for his team,they won 3-0 sit 2nd in the league and a game in hand.after the game we were going through the centre of whalley and i saw the burnley manager,we were stuck in traffic saw had a little bit of banter with him,he told us he had approached rovers for gally and todd-on loan and been knocked back twice for gally-come on hughsey give him a go tinykit.gif

1. I'm questioning whether signing Dickov has taken the team forward or in reverse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I have to admit at the time playing Dickov upfront on his own and 20th in the league really depressed me, but things have been better the last two games, Its the bare minimum and has to be maintained and hope we are not relegated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. maybe I come over a bit too harsh, I was way to harsh on Amo last season which I got allot of stick for, although most people are worse then me now with him and Matteo.

1. I would have said definitely 'forward' IF he had played up front with Cole as intended. It's not Dickov's arrival that has damaged us but rather Cole leaving us short of firepower because of a girly strop. (The only good thing to come from it is that I wont have to look at the sulking bbasttrrds scowling fizzog ever again.)

2. Not Dickovs fault at all. Thats the managers choice of tactics, criticise Hughes for that if you must. Dickovs hardly cut out to play on his own up front is he? The only option open to him would have been to do a Dyer and refuse to play. What would you think of him then?

3. You really must try to be more objective and not to have favourites to like and hate. It's odd to me but so many people apparently NEED to have a figure to ridicule and hate in the team, even when that player has left. Bloke behind me (like a lot of others) used to hate Sherwood with a vengeance till he left then it was Carsley, after him Lucas and Johansson in equal amounts copped it until Amo appeared....... withstupid.gif

......... and then I moved seats 6 rows forward. rover.gif

ps new bloke behind me just hates every referee now...... from the first minute to the last! dry.gif

1. I would have said definitely 'forward' IF he had played up front with Cole as intended. It's not Dickov's arrival that has damaged us but rather Cole leaving us short of firepower because of a girly strop. (The only good thing to come from it is that I wont have to look at the sulking bbasttrrds scowling fizzog ever again.)

2. Not Dickovs fault at all. Thats the managers choice of tactics, criticise Hughes for that if you must. Dickovs hardly cut out to play on his own up front is he? The only option open to him would have been to do a Dyer and refuse to play. What would you think of him then?

3. You really must try to be more objective and not to have favourites to like and hate. It's odd to me but so many people apparently NEED to have a figure to ridicule and hate in the team, even when that player has left. Bloke behind me (like a lot of others) used to hate Sherwood with a vengeance till he left then it was Carsley, after him Lucas and Johansson in equal amounts copped it until Amo appeared....... withstupid.gif

......... and then I moved seats 6 rows forward. rover.gif

ps new bloke behind me just hates every referee now...... from the first minute to the last! dry.gif

1 Thats a matter of opinion, I think Souness bought Dickov with in intent of playing Dickov instead of Cole, and thats why Cole blow his nut and decided he could not work with Souness, after last season Stead was always going to be first choice.

2 Yes Dickov is not at fault, but 20th in the league and playing Dickov up front was suicide, I think I was right to say I was not happy with that at the time, and I don't think Dickov alone can score the goals to get us out of relegation and so far Dickov and any partner don't seem to score enough goals, correct if I'm wrong!, which is the exact point of many of my posts on the subject, its has not reflection on Dickov's attitude or workrate.

3 I don't hate Dickov really,I hate to situation. But he has to keep scoring, he went 8 games without a goal and we were 20th in the league and he has not been able to form a partnership with another striker and obviously not a natural goalscorer, I can't believe I'm the only one concerned by this.

Just glad Thompson's back because he can be amatch winner on his day.

I'll tell you what, lets give Enkelman a try, and Danns, and Donnelly, and MGP, and Thompson, and Peers, and Gresko... infact, lets just give the entire reserve team a go. Stupid Hughes, open your eyes, Cuidado wants you to give them a try despite them showing little, if any, reason to be selected...

How about you open your eyes, this isn't a sunday league kids team where everybody gets a game. It's no surprise nobody takes you seriously at all.

Edited by tcj_jones

I'll tell you what, lets give Enkelman a try, and Danns, and Donnelly, and MGP, and Thompson, and Peers, and Gresko... infact, lets just give the entire reserve team a go.  Stupid Hughes, open your eyes, Cuidado wants you to give them a try despite them showing little, if any, reason to be selected...

How about you open your eyes, this isn't a sunday league kids team where everybody gets a game.  It's no surprise nobody takes you seriously at all.

OH NO!

Im crying here. Sure, give them a chance, if theyre good in internationals, they costed 2.5m, have a match-clause in the transfer.

And i'd rather be popluar in my normal life, than on a brfc message board.

Edited by cuidado

With regards to Gally I think the lad deserves a chance, as a sub if not a start. He's looked decent in the reserves and McEveley'sa proven that despite being poor in the reserves that he can hack it (just) in the Premiership. Really think that a confident Gally could cause all sorts of problems. He would have been ideal to bring on vs City to attack their left back so Emo could attack down the left rather than Reid who seemed reluctant to get to the by line. I'm not saying that Gally is defensive minded enough to warrent a first team spot as a winger, but when chasing an equaliser/winner in a game, a pacy player with a good shot would have been very welcome.

Incidently I agree somewhat with Chris that our striker situation isn't great. Whilst Dickov is our best striker, to me he is a step down from Cole, but is doing as well as can be expected. I don't think anyone can have any complaints about Dickov's performances, not a class player but he's always at the top of his game.

What is concerning is that due to Dickov's way of playing and stature it makes it very difficult to forge a successful partnership with a player up front. Stead and Dickov for example doesn't really work, the long ball is a no go and we have no one capable of holding up the ball. Similarly with Djorkaeff and Gally I think there would be an alarming lack of presence up front. If we are to stay up we cannot rely on solely on Dickov's goals.

With Jansen, however, I think we might have the solution. Matty can hold the ball up and win the headers, both work tirelessly, so there will be another forward there to seize on any mistakes their strike partner causes the defender to make. A lot of strikers rely on having a decent strike partner and I think Dickov is no different. Would Stead last season have got so many chances if the opposition hadn't been so concerned about Cole? Thus if Dickov doesn't get a strike partner to compliment his style, we might be shooting ourselves in the foot. Hopefully Jansen and Dickov however will be able to forge that partnership.

Gally doesnt get a proper chance, exactly like MGP doesnt.

Open your eyes Hughes. I mean, i wouldnt complaint if our strikers actually scored sometimes.

But come onnnn.

In essence you are suggesting that Hughes conducts daily training sessions either with his eyes firmly closed or wearing a blindfold?

Please rem that he sees them all in action far more than us.

Well with Gally back at least we have a little bit of competition for places, because now Hughes has to drop one of Jansen and Gally who scored or Dickov

and as soon as Jon Stead has stopped performing on X-factor as lead singer with "G4", he'll get his concerntration back on football and i'm sure he will bang a couple in.

rover.gif well all you gally doubters saw what the boy can do,i thought he was a little rusty but the forward line showed a lot more movement when he appeared tinykit.gif

I've never doubted gally, he really can be a huge influence on a game. Mostly when coming off the bench, our super sub. If Bothroyd comes back and does well as he has suggested he can, Stead picks up, Jansen continues to improve (albeit a little bit) Hughes could have a bit of a selection problem on his hands.

Matty still looks off, perhaps his knee I don't know but I will revert back to my original thought, he has lost the instinct. A couple of times today he was one on on out on the left and he really did not seem to know what to do. Matty of old would have skipped by, or at least tried to, the man on him. At least he scored, that has to help his confidence.

Gallagher played well when he came, scored a goal, played some good passes and with more match sharpness he may well have followed in on Reid's effort. It's funny that Bothroyd came into the team, played well and scored. He then got sent off and the other strikers have been looking for his place. Jansen came in today and scored. He then went off and Gallagher came on and scored. This competition for places and the fact that the replacements are playing well is good news. Hopefully Gallagher will be given another chance to impress.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.