SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whats Happened To Gally?

benhben

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note, what has become of Youri Djorkaeff?

Couldn't he play behind Dickov and in front of a midfield without Tugay (Bazza/Flitty or Bazza/Thommo)?

Oh dear! Do you want the club to score goals or not?

Keep playing 4-4-2. Surely Djorkaeff will leave in january? If Stead doesnt score soon, then he is going to fall to 5th choice striker after Dickov, gally, jansen and bothroyd

As i said right at the start of this thread I think Gally is potentially the best striker we've got by a fair way. His movement into space was excellent yesterday and when he's in possession and facing the opposition goalmouth I get the impression he has the skill and guile to play a decent throughball - something which we sorely lack.

Edited by Hasta

Just weighing up options given that Bothroyd, Stead and Jansen are all likely to be unavailable for the next game. As Djorkaeff is injured it looks like the front two will pick themselves...

Dickov

Djorkaeff

Emerton Reid

Ferguson Thompson

looks pretty threatening to me.

Now Im confused?

It's one heck of a choice up front. All forward players are decent and have the potential to do really well for Rovers. But none of them to me are of excellent "star striker" quality. Hughes has quite a hard choice on his hands.

Jansen - best in the air and decent at holding the ball up. Drifts in and out of games and doesn't create many chances. When he gets a chance though he invariably hits the target. Most likely to be leaving at end of the season so is he worth playing.

Dickov - works his ass off gives 110% and a constant pain to play against. Most consistent striker this season. However can't hold the ball up, isn't hot in the air and IMO isn't clinical enough.

Gally - good at running at defenders and through the channels, enthusiastic, young and going to improve. However weak at holding the ball up and the toughness aspect of the game.

Stead - young, going to improve and a decent predator. Also has a good shot and decent control. However confidence is low and for a big guy struggles to hold the ball up and often looses the physical battles.

Boothroyd - seems to be the most gifted football wise but there are questions about his attitude and his long term future at the club. The best all round player but will he fit in and if so will he be signed?

To me the big problem is that that magic combination doesn't seem that apparent. I thought Stead and Cole looked good together but since that we've really struggled to get two strikers who look comfortable playing together.

Ok thenodrog, I wrong about Dickov, his goals have got us to 19th and if it was not for him we would be 20th, how silly of me to prejudge a stiker who scored 35 goals in 160 games for man city and just got relegated after a career in div and div2. How stupid of me preseason to think we may struggle this season without Cole, you have totally proven me wrong, happy now!

How many games was since we won thenodrog, how many games since a striker scored a winning goal, how many poiints do we have.

Tpyical after another draw you try and attack me but didn't have the balls to do it a couple of weeks ago when he went 8 games without a goal and we were 20th rather then a much better 19th.

My worry was that Dickov would not score enough goals to get us wins, and I look silly do I because I have been proven right but he score a penalty, ok fair enough. I don't doubt he works hard and scores some goals.

Where exactly have I been proven wrong again?

here you go Chris.

Andy Cole lead Fulham 0-BRFC 2.

Respectful but muted revues for Cole's efforts compared to yet more rave ones for Dickov's. rover.gif

When one's in a hole it's usually wise to stop digging Chris. wink.gif

Dickov has been more consistent than Emerton,who only started producing when Souness went.It was like the albatross was lifted.

I love Dickovs hard work,he makes so many chances and good runs and turns,he only lacks a little added quality to pull through those moves and finish then off.

Maybe not that rosy for him. Gallaghers development appears to have stopped imo. In 12 months he's gone from looking a good prospect to looking a very ordinary substitute. GS hinted at something like this. Hughes has publically stated that everyone starts with a clean sheet. So its up to Gally, if he responds then well and good, if he fails to do that then he needs to be shown the door where he will have to find his own level.

rover.gif good job souey and tnd opinions count for nowt at ewood tinykit.gif

If there was a snap poll now for Player of the Season, only Emerton and Dickov would have a shout.

Those of us who prefer 'arte' would choose Emerton and those who prefer 'labore' would go for Dickov.

For those who prefer relegation battle = Dickov

For those who prefer top half finish = Emerton

Maybe not that rosy for him.  Gallaghers development appears to have stopped imo.  In 12 months he's gone from looking a good prospect to looking a very ordinary substitute.  GS hinted at something like this.  Hughes has publically stated that everyone starts with a clean sheet.  So its up to Gally, if he responds then well and good, if he fails to do that then he needs to be shown the door where he will have to find his own level.

rover.gif good job souey and tnd opinions count for nowt at ewood tinykit.gif

"Hughes has publically stated that everyone starts with a clean sheet. So its up to Gally, if he responds then well and good,"

I stand by what I said waggy. Maybe Gally reads this board (a taj unlikely coming from Shad) and hangs on my every word like you obviously do by dredging this up waggy. rover.gif

......anyway just as one swallow does not make a summer so 2 half games do not make Gally the answer to our prayers. imo we have only 1 'proper' centre forward in Bothroyd so the question is with every player fit and available who plays beside him? Dickov / Jansen / Stead / Gally? And there's only one answer at the moment.

If there was a snap poll now for Player of the Season, only Emerton and Dickov would have a shout.

Those of us who prefer 'arte' would choose Emerton and those who prefer 'labore' would go for Dickov.

For those who prefer relegation battle = Dickov

For those who prefer top half finish = Emerton

Whys that you complete baffoon?

This notion that Dickov is a relegation player is ######, he's been our best player bar non and will finish leading scorer.

I personally think/hope he gets player of the year just to shut people like yourself up.

Gallagher has done well over the last 2 games, scoring two goals. He did very well last week when he came on, and yesterday he got the goal, but didn't play as well as he did against Birmingham. He should definately start the next game and as long as he keeps scoring, then he should keep his place in the side.

Well, I posted this in the wrong thread. I am more than a tad ethusiastic about Gally....

Now that is actually something about him that really impresses me. He can dribble, he can cross (although that was relatively poor yesterday) has a bit of pace, good technique and simply awesome movement (the best bit of his game IMHO). Our domination of the first half came down partly to him with his movement behind the fullbacks and dropping off to hold up te he ball making him exceptionally hard to mark. It allows the midfielders to maraud into the space he leaves behind and gets them involved in moves up front. As he builds up experience and hopefully keeps his feet on the ground he could become a world class player. Some of his passing can be sublime too and his work rate was incredible yesterday.

Dickov had a better match overall, how anybody can advocate hime being dropped from the team is beyond me, and Gallagher certainly was not exceptional- but there is that sort of Henry spark to Gallagher's game that is inspiring. I have never really seen a British player play that way. Im not saying he will definately be anywhere as good as a player like Henry, only time will tell, but there is potential for him to become the fulcrum of the side.

Bothroyd's height and power leads you to think that maybe there could be a real long term partnership there for future seasons. The main issue would be that Bothroyd also has a penchant for dropping off and going wide, although not in the same way as Gallagher, which would leave us without a target man. Arsenal get by with Henry and Bergkamp though...... wink.gif

Anyhow, with Dickov in his current astounding form, lets not make any bones about it, we will just have to wait and see.

If Gallagher is not a first team regular and the darling of the Blackburn End (perhaps even Scotland) by this time next season I will eat my hat.

We all knew from last season what Gally could do. Fair play to him, he hasn't moaned, he's obviously stuck at it in training and has been given his chance and taken it.

What I like about Gally is that as a striker, his awareness of other players around him and has a good eye for passing.

I can't remember who but, some pundit on tele said he had a similar style to Teddy Sheringham.

Hughes welcomes Gallagher return

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.