BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whats Happened To Gally?

benhben

imo we have only 1 'proper' centre forward in Bothroyd so the question is with every player fit and available who plays beside him? Dickov / Jansen / Stead / Gally? And there's only one answer at the moment.

Well IMO Stead is a proper centre forward. If he succeeds in recovering some "touch" and the fitness he had last season i have no doubt he should be the starter guy in the attack, and his partner could be perfectly Gally. I think Bothroyd and Dickov could be great replacements to turn the luck in a match.

Stead is unfit, had some problems regarding his confidence, etc. but remember the impression he made last year when he showed what he can do on the field. I'm convinced he'll be the next great English striker (last year most of us thought he could be in the English squad for Euro 2004).

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo we have only 1 'proper' centre forward in Bothroyd so the question is with every player fit and available who plays beside him?  Dickov / Jansen / Stead / Gally?    And there's only one answer at the moment.

Well IMO Stead is a proper centre forward. If he succeeds in recovering some "touch" and the fitness he had last season i have no doubt he should be the starter guy in the attack, and his partner could be perfectly Gally. I think Bothroyd and Dickov could be great replacements to turn the luck in a match.

Stead is unfit, had some problems regarding his confidence, etc. but remember the impression he made last year when he showed what he can do on the field. I'm convinced he'll be the next great English striker (last year most of us thought he could be in the English squad for Euro 2004).

Stead, like Jansen, has looked poor all year. And he hasnt scored- its a shame but Dickov, Gallagher and Bothroyd have all looked far better. Both Hughes and Souness gave him a crack this season and he just hasnt done it. He will have to wait like the others did.

Stead, like Jansen, has looked poor all year. And he hasnt scored- its a shame but Dickov, Gallagher and Bothroyd have all looked far better. Both Hughes and Souness gave him a crack this season and he just hasnt done it. He will have to wait like the others did.

Stead has looked quite poor this season, but not Jansen. He has got a run of games, scored some goals and has played well. He mightn't have done enough to be a regular starter, but when he comes back from his injury, I see him playing alot more for Rovers. But he will have to earn his place because Dickov and Gallagher have been playing well and scoring over the last couple of games and Bothroyd was impressing before he got banned.

I can understand why Hughes doesn't rate Stead, because he hasn't been doing it for Rovers and the way that the other strikers have been scoring, it makes it difficult for Stead to get on the bench now, let alone the starting 11. I think that he is a very talented player and should not be disgarded. If we were to sign Bothroyd, that would leave us with 3 young exciting strikers, which can perform in the Premiership and develop and take the club forward.

I've heard from a source within the club (no I'm not telling), that Hughes does not rate young Stead (don't shoot the messenger).

If this were true, why was Stead the first choice replacement when Bothroyd got banned. It was only when he picked up a knock that Jansen got his chance, and likewise when Jansen injured himself Gally got a look in. Surely if the manager doesn't rate Stead then he would have found himself behind Jansen and Gally in the pecking order (not saying that that isn't the case now due to the performances of the other two.)

And remember the game where Stead started was Man City away, a game that we absolutely had to take something from - not the kind of game you throw someone you don't rate into.

I've heard from a source within the club (no I'm not telling), that Hughes does not rate young Stead (don't shoot the messenger).

And why should he rate him? Its obvious really to anybody impartial his second touch is usually a tackle and he continues to make the wrong decision in shooting from distance with colleagues better placed. Also he's not particularly pacy and not a threat in the air. sad.gif He (and we) got lucky last year, every pundit said he would find it tough this year and they were right.

Given freedom from injuries Stead should be given a lengthy spell in the reserves to learn his trade and regain his shattered confidence. If any player has a weakness playing in the Prem will certainly expose it.

And to think that in the close season his agent had the temerity to ask for an improved contract. rover.gif

Edited by thenodrog

If we are going to buy another striker in January, I think it would be great if we could loan Stead out to a 1.div club (championship), burnley anyone?

We know what he is capable of when his confidence is high, he just needs to score a few and get some games under his belt.

If we are going to buy another striker in January, I think it would be great if we could loan Stead out to a 1.div club (championship), burnley anyone?

We know what he is capable of when his confidence is high, he just needs to score a few and get some games under his belt.

Another striker? We've Stead, Gally, Bothroyd, Dickov, Jansen... and in case of absolute need we can promote Derbyshire or Jemal to the first team. We are plenty of (good, IMO) strikers. We should sign instead a Centre midfielder or a centre back.

We've Stead, Gally, Bothroyd, Dickov, Jansen... and in case of absolute need we can promote Derbyshire or Jemal

Just like our defenders, we have alot of them, but neither of any real quality. Long term Gally and Stead might become really good, but short term the only consistant performer we got is Paul Dickov.

As for Derbyshire and Jemal, I dont think they will get any chances in the first team.

Edited by krislu

rover.gif whilst i am a avid gally fan,i also rate stead highly he showed last season he has a eye for goal,and this season his preformance's have just been missing a goal.youth is the future and i am sure gally and stead will be the strike force for years to come.at the moment the dwarf is playing some off his best football off his career so it may be next season before we see these two in tandem.but saying that my old mate ashton notched his 15th goal last night for crewe tinykit.gif

at the moment the dwarf is playing some off his best football off his career so it may be next season before we see these two in tandem.

Why such barely concealed contempt for our 'player of the season' to date waggy? huh.gif

btw how much taller than him are you? huh.giftongue.gif

Dickov - worst alltime Rovers player !!

Are you having a laugh! blink.gif

The man is a legend in the full sense of the word.

He has been worthy of our Man of the Match in pretty much every rovers game this season.

If all our players had his desire to win then we would be much higher in the league.

Pound for pound he's probably the toughest modern day rovers player. If he had better finishing abilities he would be a world class player( and prob won't be playing for us).

Give the wee man some Respect.!!

at the moment the dwarf is playing some off his best football off his career so it may be next season before we see these two in tandem.

Why such barely concealed contempt for our 'player of the season' to date waggy? huh.gif

btw how much taller than him are you? huh.giftongue.gif

Probably because he can't bring himself to admit that Souness made an excellent value-for-money signing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.