BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Asian Support

Timmy

With the crowds at ewood dropping (see 20,697 post) and the blackburn asian population at about 20% are rovers not missing a potentially large constitunet?

why is it still you don't see many Asian faces at ewood (saying that I have seen a slight increase in the numbers over the past 10 years).

is it because of the associations that english football has had with racism over the last 30 years (saying that I've not heard one racist chant at ewood) that puts many asians

Or is it because football is a second sport to most 1st and 2nd generation Asians (cricket being the 1st)?

..or perhaps there are not many asian role models on the pitch

Is it not time that rovers made specific efforts at attracting the Asian supporter (or perhaps they already are?)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the crowds at ewood dropping (see 20,697 post) and the blackburn asian population at about 20% are rovers not missing a potentially large constitunet?

why is it still you don't see many Asian faces at ewood (saying that I have seen a slight increase in the numbers over the past 10 years).

is it because of the associations that english football has had with racism over the last 30 years (saying that I've not heard one racist chant at ewood) that puts many asians

Or is it because football is a second sport to most 1st and 2nd generation Asians (cricket being the 1st)?

..or perhaps there are not many asian role models on the pitch

Is it not time that rovers made specific efforts at attracting the Asian supporter (or perhaps they already are?)

BRFC positively threw free tickets at the Asian community to get them interested.

It didn't work, generally they only go if they don't have to pay.

Too true , Alex . I think the general conclusion on the other thread was that ticket prices will have to fall before significant improvements on the gate will be seen . But they'll never fall low enough to attract large numbers of our Asian brethren ! Can we afford to give tickets away for nowt ?

I thought all of us agreed on Souness being a racist?

Now that he's gone... wink.gif

No, in all seriousness, even though I've been at Ewood only once - even I noticed the large Asian community in Blackburn.

This is a large opportunity for Blackburn to get more people to the games, and I hope the club has plans for how to involve them. (sorry for the 'us and them' thing - but this whole thread is like that...)

Leicester City have the reputation of being the club with the best links to the Asian heritage people in their locality-and they have links with a club in Calcutta. The Rovers have a woman in charge of Community Affairs which includes trying to increase the numbers of ethnic minorities.I've left messages telling her about Leicester but I don't know if she's got in touch.

I would think that the realistic percentage is much higher than 20%, but I also think that they have no real interest in our country, let alone our football team, and I for one am happy to keep the crowds at 20k.

What about getting kids from the Asian community to play for Rovers in the different age groups. They and there parents will then feel like there a part of Rovers community and hopefully want to see some games to. In some years time we might have a local star player with an asian background and that will pull some asians to the games.

It is a subject that has been discussed down at Ewood and I know that the club has the interests of all sections of the community at heart. When I was working down there I know that it was a factor that we discussed a lot. Brownie's "thrown" policy is not one I'm prepared to comment on but there will always be a place at the club for an ethnic minority group without straying into the arena of positive discrimination.

I can truthfully say that the club bases its race relations on absolute belief rather than immediate gratification.

Asians love playing football and also watching football. Therefore why don’t rovers target the Asian communities in the football training scheme that they usually run over the school holidays.

They should run a scheme where the coaches or even youth team players go down and train younger people to play football. They could target many different areas like Bastwell, Audley, Bank top etc and maybe that would interest more of them into Blackburn Rovers. The players could also visit more asian schools.

Surely they would only appreciate the club more if they were trained by the staff at BRFC.

Another way to attract them could be to make it more equal at ewood.

Let the kiosks sell Asians foods aswell as your chips, hotdogs etc.

I do not believe that Rovers do enough to try and seriously target the Ethnic Minority community. Around 45% of the Blackburn with Darwen community is not white so therefore they should really have a go at trying to get more from the Asian communities.

I've never been offered free tickets to a Kabbadi (sp?) tournament?!

Why on earth should I pay my hard earned cash to watch the team I've followed since the age of 5, to find that a family of Asians with a slight interest get in for free?

If an Asian is even slightly interested in watching Rovers there's nothing whatsoever stopping them, END OF STORY.

Asians love playing football and also watching football. Therefore why don’t rovers target the Asian communities in the football training scheme that they usually run over the school holidays.

They should run a scheme where the coaches or even youth team players go down and train younger people to play football. They could target many different areas like Bastwell, Audley, Bank top etc and maybe that would interest more of them into Blackburn Rovers. The players could also visit more asian schools.

Surely they would only appreciate the club more if they were trained by the staff at BRFC.

Another way to attract them could be to make it more equal at ewood.

Let the kiosks sell Asians foods aswell as your chips, hotdogs etc.

I do not believe that Rovers do enough to try and seriously target the Ethnic Minority community. Around 45% of the Blackburn with Darwen community is not white so therefore they should really have a go at trying to get more from the Asian communities.

Personally i dont think that Blackburn Rovers as a club should make all the effort to try an attract the asian Community. They know where Ewood Park is, they know Blackburn have a football club just like everybody else does, as for players going to asian schools i didnt think we had many 100% asain schools around. The club is useless at promoting the club they dont do enough full stop i dont think. The club should not focus on getting the asians in we should be focusing on getting people in Asian or white. Another thing is why should they run schemes round the areas mentioned in the qoute, they dont do enough in the white area's do they?."Around 45% of the Blackburn with Darwen community is not white" is that true i dont think so is it?.

Why on earth should I pay my hard earned cash to watch the team I've followed since the age of 5, to find that a family of Asians with a slight interest get in for free?

If an Asian is even slightly interested in watching Rovers there's nothing whatsoever stopping them, END OF STORY.

The have given free tickets to schools and areas of low value (highercroft etc) before so why not to an asian?

Whats the difference?

There is already a football in the community programme which includes asian children and the schools.

I don't know why people keep going on about Rovers getting out into the schools - they already do so and on quite a wide area.

The truth is, Rovers do a lot of stuff to encourage children that those of us with older children/grown up children don't get to hear about, but bear in mind it doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

The have given free tickets to schools and areas of low value (highercroft etc) before so why not to an asian?

Whats the difference?

Have you ever heard of corporate image Hughsey?

Even an Asian schoolchild perhaps?

Ewood park isn't an underground bunker, I think the Asians know where it is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.