BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Athletic 1 0 Rovers

den

As my earlier post pointed out I thought Grey was terrible. He offered nothing last night, far too edgy when he got the ball. If he dropped the ball over the full back's head it would be a good ball, but he lumped right down Perry's throat every time.

Ferguson can only do well when he has the ball, he's not a ball winner, combative, but not a genuine "get stuck in" type. When his defenders whack it over his head to the other team he ended up running around doing nothing, much like many Sunday Leaguers do when the centre half fancies himself as a bit of a Ronald Koeman. Ferguson cannot set his stall out positionally when the ball is not delivered to where he wants it i.e. when he shows for it. He is a good player and will do well, the game needs to be dictated toward his style. If we continue to be a long ball team (I hope not - and I don't think we will be) sign Leonhardsen from Norway he was class at running like an idiot and scoring in their long ball system but could do sod all when a team played football.

Manc Blue had a good point about first touches that I forgot about. The whole team couldn't control tha ball if their life depended on it. It was either bouncing off them, going out of play or up in the air; that needs fixing more than anything, because if you cannot control it you cannot play. Was it nervousness, lack of technique (I doubt it), bad passes, wrong boots on?

I'll also agree with USA Blue; the doom and gloom merchants who always surface after a defeat should realise that Hughes has had 3 weeks, give him time, he will work it out, it might take him until the summer but he will have us playing properly.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just got back from London and everyone is over-reacting.The only difference between the teams was one corner kick and they were at home.

As soon as they scored we attacked for most of the second half and showed our lack of sharpness in front of goal.

My only issues are that we need so much coaching on free-kicks,corners and even throw-ins(surely Prozone is going to show this) and i feel like the little boy looking at the Emperor with no clothes on.."What do people see in our new captain Barry?" cos i'm still looking.

Here's to 3 points on Saturday.

I too used to think that the potential of Ferguson would come to the fore , now I just don't think it will do .  A captain should have leadership qualities , be willing to take responsibility , go looking for the ball . Ferguson doesn't .

Finally , on the subject of Fergy , I took a bit of stick a while ago when I said that Savage would give us better service in midfield if we could get somebody to buy Fergy . First priority , though , is a creative midfielder.

Ferguson is more in the mode of Tugay - not a ball winner or physical presence but able to control the ball and distribute long and short passes. He can also get into the box to finish well - at least that is the theory. Not sure about his captaincy potential - as I posted I think Amoruso would've been a better choice.

To perform this role it is essential that he has the right midfield partner. A young Flitty would fit the bill - the present one is well past his sell-by date. That man could well be Savage who would do the ball winning physical stuff for the wee laddie. I think you will find I was the first to suggest Wendy on this board when we were promoted.

Interesting signing today - Djorkaeff has more ability to open up defences than the rest of our side put together now Tugay has lost his way. Where to play him though? Behind a single striker like at notlob?

here's an added bonus I actually enjoyed it as a football match, it had good entertainment value

we only let one in, not three.

1 - I hope your joking - either that or you must really be missing football biggrin.gif

2- But we still got beat

Good post none the less USA and similar to what I was saying about there being light on the Horizon - but just how far is it? One thing is certain, is it looks nearer than it did 3/4 weeks ago and it will be 12 noon sooner rather than later

Interesting signing today - Djorkaeff has more ability to open up defences than the rest of our side put together now Tugay has lost his way. Where to play him though? Behind a single striker like at notlob?

Up front with Dickov I think? His tireless running could create enough space for Djorkaeff to bring others into the game.

There seems to be an obvious pattern emerging here, all those who actually bothered going to the game are taking positives outa a game which was a reasonably good performance (esp 2nd half) whereas the others who watched it on sky have come out all negative, wink.gif . Moral of the story, get to the game!!

Anyway i thought we were much the better team and should have had at least a point out of it and probably all 3. The ball isn't just running for us at the moment, flitty hitting the post, charlton player clearing it off the line, centremeters away from amo's foot and having a blatant pen not given. In the 2nd half we controlled and pressurised, perhaps summed up by the superb backing to players given by the noisy travelling Rovers fans. All is not lost, we must pick ourselves up to beat villa on saturday tinykit.gif

P.S, have you ever seen a player suffering from lack of confidence more than J Stead at the mo?

In the 2nd half we controlled and pressurised

mmmmm....

Controlled - yeah I'll give you that

Pressurised - bar a 10 min spell and a fair few corners ( about one which was met by one of our players - the one along the ground to the edge of the box.... ) don't think we can say we actually pressurised them - had a lot of the ball but didn't exactly do much with it, and Charlton appeared fairly comfortable in dealing with our attacks ( if that is what you can call them)

here's an added bonus I actually enjoyed it as a football match, it had good entertainment value

we only let one in, not three.

1 - I hope your joking - either that or you must really be missing football biggrin.gif

2- But we still got beat

Good post none the less USA and similar to what I was saying about there being light on the Horizon - but just how far is it? One thing is certain, is it looks nearer than it did 3/4 weeks ago and it will be 12 noon sooner rather than later

No I am not, I actually enjoyed it, maybe it was cos I felt we could get something from it. It was not pretty by any means but I was into the game. there have been many games I have watched when we go behind that I sort of lost interest in because I have never had the feeling we would come back.

Don't know what it was but I did enjoy it.

As far as still getting beat, picky buggar aren't you. biggrin.gif

As far as still getting beat, picky buggar aren't you. biggrin.gif

Yep that's me (i'll argue anything)

Just that I am one of them that believes you should go out to win any game and regardless of how we play I'm always annoyed when we lose - vice versa when we win I don't give a toss how we have won

I agree with you saying it looked like we could get something as we do seem to be playing better - but the match was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch good football but Monday's game to me was not Football

Maybe I'm expecting too much - but when you get two teams of over paid players who can't control or pass a ball for more than two seconds there is something amiss - (they didn't even cancel each other out)

I'll be happier Saturday when we beat Villa in a more entertaining game. thumbs-up.gif

Up front with Dickov I think? His tireless running could create enough space for Djorkaeff to bring others into the game.

I think he might play from the left but have license to come inside, similar to the way Hughes sometimes used Koumas for Wales. If Djorkaeff is going to play off a striker then it can't be Dickov, it would have to be Stead, Bothroyd or Jansen I think...not sure Gally could do that role either. For what it's worth, I think we might line up like this:

Friedel

Neill Amoruso Short Gray

Emerton Thompson Ferguson Djorkaeff

Stead Jansen

That's with everyone fit of course, for now it's probably going to be Matteo instead of Short and Flitty instead of Thompson.

I don't think Dickov can be the main striker, he doesn't have enough to his game. I agree with the bit you said about him running around and creating space for Djorkaeff to use the ball...but then there'd be no-one up front to pass it through to?

Or I might just be that I don't like Dickov. wink.gif

Funny how opinions differ smile.gif

Dickov in my opinion has shown how good he is at holding the ball up, he's strong, tenacious and very very willing. He likes the ball into feet and I think with Djorkaeff thats what he'd get.

the 2nd half we controlled and pressurised, perhaps summed up by the superb backing to players given by the noisy travelling Rovers fans

At which point one has to mention Martin from Bushy's (Ale of Man) who single handedly got the away end going (in the absence of the drum) by hammering on the side of the stand with his hand.

When I saw him in the Antigallican after the game, he appeared to have paid for this enthusiasm with either a fractured - or certainly extremely badly bruised - wrist.

But it did get the noise going.

Well, im going to fly in the face of public opinion and say WE WERE ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD.

We held on to the ball, the strikers held up the ball, we passed well and we got down the flanks. We lacked movement up front and had serious problems with width but I was impressed by how we closed down the opposition, especially in the first half.

The game was won by a good set peice, that was it (although the lapses of concentration were worrying in the last fifteen minutes).

If we had Cole or a Stead with some shooting boots we might well of won that game.

Hughes will not change the system, we will play compact passing football (for all those accusing us of lumping the ball up front, where did you get that from? We passed out of the back, indeed it got us into a few sticky situations).

We have two problems that need to be addressed:

1. Defensive Concentration

2. Goal threat

Pretty massive problems I admit, but the technical ability, shape, ball retention and attitude (at least since Hughes has arrived) has been good. I think Hughes will be optimistic and uplifted at present.

Roll on Saturday.

Edited by joey_big_nose

the 2nd half we controlled and pressurised, perhaps summed up by the superb backing to players given by the noisy travelling Rovers fans

At which point one has to mention Martin from Bushy's (Ale of Man) who single handedly got the away end going (in the absence of the drum) by hammering on the side of the stand with his hand.

When I saw him in the Antigallican after the game, he appeared to have paid for this enthusiasm with either a fractured - or certainly extremely badly bruised - wrist.

Indeed Tris. Like I said after the match, my section of the away fans was excellent and that man at the side really got the crowd going. After the rubbish we saw in the first half and going a goal down early in the second, the rovers fans really spurred the team on and the team responded well. Excellent support guys.

Indeed Tris. Like I said after the match, my section of the away fans was excellent and that man at the side really got the crowd going. After the rubbish we saw in the first half and going a goal down early in the second, the rovers fans really spurred the team on and the team responded well. Excellent support guys.

Yeh i thought it was only 1 guy, fair play to him he really got us going, a great atmosphere from our fans in the 2nd half!! I cant imagine what his hand must have felt like on the tues afterwards, i just hope he used his wrong hand!! laugh.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.