BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers For Sale?

There are a few problems some new capital could address. As I see it-

A) The trust-

1) apparently the calibre of some of those running it is in question – a potential reason for the details of who these people are being kept quiet?

2) they may be administering their role to the letter- but I don't feel they're doing it to the spirit of Jack's legacy. I still cannot stack up where the income from selling duff and dunn - estimated @ £24m – has been expended – has it entirely been reinvested in the club? Since the trust took over the financial side the amount of capital in the game in general has continued to increase at a dramatic level, and rovers need to invest wisely, but they need to do it over, say, a 5 year cycle, rather than balancing the books every year being the priority. As a medium term and uncertain investment Rovers are much less-attractive on paper compared to some of Jack's other interests – and therein lies the rub. Rovers were never a way for Jack to make money, and yes we need to be self sufficient – but we are in dire need of capital – and the Walker Trust can provide this without the club or the trust mortgaging their future akin to Leeds FC.

cool.gif The management of the club:

When John Williams effectively took over the day to day management of the club from Bob Coar I expected things to improve greatly – no more statements in the press saying transfer rumours were “absolute crap” when they weren’t – (Batty, Shearer). However, I am yet to witness the shrewd commercial management I was expecting from Williams as one of Jacks chosen few. There’s definitely a case for headhunting someone with some real balls to manage BRFC’s relationship with the trust to a more effective outcome, and in turn this would dispel the suggestions of a narrow and somewhat backward approach to managing the club restricting BRFC’s true potential.

Not that I particularly want to get involved in this little cat-fight but I was wondering MattyBoy if you could point out the facts in your original post (quoted above). Because to me it seems that it's a mixture of conjecture and opinion.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I particularly want to get involved in this little cat-fight but I was wondering MattyBoy if you could point out the facts in your original post (quoted above).  Because to me it seems that it's a mixture of conjecture and opinion.

I've done my best to break it down, like I said I've tried to base my observations on fact..

There are a few problems some new capital could address. As I see it-

A) The trust-

1) apparently the calibre of some of those running it is in question – a potential reason for the details of who these people are being kept quiet?

fact # 1 has been edited out by Paul as it is potentially libellous and as far as I am aware totally unsubstantiated Paul 20.31 05 10 04

2) they may be administering their role to the letter- but I don't feel they're doing it to the spirit of Jack's legacy. I still cannot stack up where the income from selling duff and dunn - estimated @ £24m – has been expended – has it entirely been reinvested in the club?

conjecture #1

Since the trust took over the financial side the amount of capital in the game in general has continued to increase at a dramatic level.

fact #2

and rovers need to invest wisely, but they need to do it over, say, a 5 year cycle, rather than balancing the books every year being the priority. As a medium term and uncertain investment Rovers are much less-attractive on paper compared to some of Jack's other interests – and therein lies the rub.

conjecture #2 (although sentence 2 is a common preception of football clubs as business ventures)

Rovers were never a way for Jack to make money, and yes we need to be self sufficient

Facts #3 & 4 are based from Jack's own observations and comment nad have been well-repeated over the years

but we are in dire need of capital

conjecture #3

and the Walker Trust can provide this without the club or the trust mortgaging their future akin to Leeds FC.

conjecture #4 (although as Philipl has pointed out, the money from the trust doesn't suffer from the marrow-sucking of venture capital)

cool.gif The management of the club:

When John Williams effectively took over the day to day management of the club from Bob Coar I expected things to improve greatly

conjecture #5

no more statements in the press saying transfer rumours were “absolute crap” when they weren’t – (Batty, Shearer).

fact #5

However, I am yet to witness the shrewd commercial management I was expecting from Williams as one of Jacks chosen few.

conjecture # 6

There’s definitely a case for headhunting someone with some real balls to manage BRFC’s relationship with the trust to a more effective outcome,

conjecture #7

and in turn this would dispel the suggestions of a narrow and somewhat backward approach to managing the club restricting BRFC’s true potential.

fact #6 - (this 'suggestion' comes from a number of premiership clubs, that BRFC are not being run in a professional manner and suffer for it).

Erm, on a lighter note, the other side of the sale/investment coin is why Arsenal will be playing at the Emirates Stadium in the near future.

That's interesting ...

Chelsea clearly have close ties with Emirates (shirt deal), and as the Premiership referees now also carry the Emirates name on their shirts I suppose Arsenal feel the need to get in there as well, to foster that nice cosy feeling.

Why not just call it "The Premier League Big Clubs and Refs Stitch-Up in association with Emirates"

Chelsea boss Peter Kenyonn has recently announced Chelsea will be moving way from Emirates to a more universal brand as sponsors.

As a traditionalist, it is a shame that Highbury will be replaced by the Emirates Stadium. Still for £100m in the Rovers' transfer fund, I am sure we would be happy enough to go to the Holland Pies Bowl rather than Ewood Park = if only!

Chelsea boss Peter Kenyonn has recently announced Chelsea will be moving way from Emirates to a more universal brand as sponsors.

Enron would be a most appropriate shirt sponsor for them

fact #6 - (this 'suggestion' comes from a number of premiership clubs, that BRFC are not being run in a professional manner and suffer for it).

Complete and utter nonsense, Williams is one of the most respected CE's in the business and we are lucky to have him. As for the comments about denying interest in players every club does it, it's about not laying all your cards on the table at once. For someone who states his desire to only argue facts you seem to talk a hell of a lot of rubbish.

As for the trust, unfortunately they can do exactly what they want with Rovers and are not in anyway obliged to invest in the club. Like it or not but we can't make people invest, what we can do is get the club on such a sound financial footing that we can at least sustain our level without investment. If you bothered checking those facts you seem so keen on you would find that is exactly what we have done, largely down to Williams. Better still ask philipl to explain it to you.

im most amused that an alledged fact comes from an unsubstantiated suggestion that other ceo's think rovers are badly run!!!

haha, gotta love the mob mentality.

i don't think i was clear.. the fact is that there is this suggestion..

@Cheshire Blue. any subtantiation in your argument?

damn... can't see any... nope.. pure subjective nonsense

gold star for cheshire blue, you've done well

mattyboy6000,

We don't usually go in for public warnings on this messageboard, however I think your actions deserve it. If you repeat in any form the libellous allegations you posted on this message board earlier today you will be immediatley banned and reported to your ISP.

You should be aware the Admin on this board have the ability to track and identify every user at anytime. If you think I'm joking, try it.

now lets all play nicely as I want to watch TV at 9.00

thank you

Paul

haha, gotta love the mob mentality.

i don't think i was clear.. the fact is that there is this suggestion..

That's it Matthew. Get to bed immediately.

Sorry about that Folks! Just because he is twelve now he thinks he knows it all.

I've told his Mum and she will take his mobile away if he comes on here showing off again.

I blame myself for this sad.gif

Cheshire Blue ??

talks crap, can't read

I don't think any new poster has gotten up the noses of so many other posters so quickly.

What ? You've forgotten ... erm .... what was his name .... bloke that thought glue was a lubricant and threatend me with a horses head .... you know ... him ..... already*. I'd say his first (and only) weeks posts beat MattyBoy's by a mile.

* seriously, I know it was only a couple of months ago, but what WAS his name ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.