SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa. Post match chat

rover6

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind playing Villa as they never really surprise you so you tend to get what you deserve out of the game - if you play well, you'll definitely win, if you play badly you'll definitely lose. Unfortunately, I think we'll be pretty average and it'll be 1-1, with Djorkaeff netting on debut.

Historically we have done well against Villa, we seem to have their number. But I was at the game last Christmas and dire doesn't describe how we played, yet we beat them away. Villa let teams play, hopefully this will help us. A decent crowd would be nice, they'll bring a good few.

I'm not making a score prediction, I always get them wrong. I'm thinking a win though.

Rovers 1 - 2 Villa

I can`t see us winning this. Villa in my opinion are much stronger both defensively and attacking wise, so it has to be an away win.

But, you never know with the Rovers.

Barry needs a good game to get himself going again. Not too sure where Youri will play, if selected.

I think we can win this one and continue the posession dominance of last monday. This is the team I would pick.

Friedel

Niell    Matteo  Amoruso  Gray

Emerton    Ferguson  Tugay/Thompson?    Pedersen

Stead/Jansen  Dickov

Dickov has been holding the ball up superbly and remains the only striker who has scored a couple. I cannot see how he can be dropped.

Jansen was good on the left on saturday but we need to give Pedersen a shot. He is the only real long term option on the left and has looked like improving.

Rest of the side picks itself. I want to see Gallagher get a game, even as a sub.

However, with the arrival of Djorkaeff, I imagine Hughsie will put out something a little more like this:

Friedel

Niell    Matteo    Amoruso    Gray

Emerton  Ferguson  Flitcroft

Djorkaeff

Dickov      Stead/Jansen

Should be interesting....

Edited by joey_big_nose

2-1 Rovers.

With just 6 minutes and 36 seconds on the clock, wing wizard Brett Emerton fires a shot in from long range. Saved by Sorensen, but Dickov is there to tap in the rebound.

Just 61 seconds before the half time whistle goes, Morten Pedersen is bundled over in the box from a emerton corner. The croud gasp. But no, the referee ( don't know who but he'll be poo anyway ) claims he didn't see the push. Doesn't matter though, as Jonathan Stead takes no nonsense and belts the ball in.

With only around minutes and 21.56 seconds to go, Carlton Cole fires past Friedel with a fine finish.

At the end, the fans applaud Hughesy.

Did you know....

That Blackburn Rovers have played more league games against Villa than against any other club?

and...

Blackburn Rovers and Aston Villa were the last two of the original twelve founder member clubs to be relegated? They were both relegated for the first time in 1936, long after every other founding club had been relegated at least once.

Well if you didn't know that you do now and much good may it do you.

As for the match I'll go for a 0-0 draw. Not likely to happen as I don't think we have had a goal-free match for about the same period of time we have been without a penalty. Can anyone remember our last 0-0 in the league?

I'd really like to see the Stead Dockov partnership ditched. With Dickov tending to drop deep it leaves Stead isolated up front, and I've always thought Stead feeds of other players rather than as a target man. I'd like to see Dickov Jansen up front to relieve the pressure off Stead. Thought Jansen held the ball up well vs Charlton.

Other than I'd stick with the team that lost to Charlton with Pederson on the left wing. Villa have quite a combatative midfield so I think we'd need both Flitty and Ferguson in the centre to deal with this.

Am worried what Cole's pace will do to our defence. Actually, I'm worried about the whole thing, since we couldn't even beat a poor Charlton side. Villa are doing okay and are a good side. Can see us loosing this one 1-2. Hope I'm wrong.

Whatever happened to getting the views of a fan from the opposition?

That said, I thought the preview was good, mr. 6

Thanks, rover6.

Personally, I couldn't care a toss about what fans of the opposition think at the moment, I just want some wins under our belt, don't want to talk about theirs. dry.gif

We don't seem to play well against Villa though. Hopefully the new regime will keep spirits up and our lads will give it a good go.

I'd still prefer not to see Flitcroft on the field. Hurry up and get back to business, Thommo!

Will leave the team selection to Mr Hughes and the result to providence. Anyone seen Mystic Meg? ph34r.gif

I'm finding it even harder than usual to predict something for this...and it's hard enough with Rovers as it is. I'm going to have to sit on the fence and say it will be a draw although I think we have it in us to beat them.

The team selection will be interesting, I wouldn't like to think that Hughes will ditch width to put Djorkaeff in the team...at the same time I wouldn't like to think he'll play up front because we already have enough strikers fighting for those two places. Djorkaeff has played on the left before, he played there for Bolton sometimes too, and playing Jansen there against Charlton suggests that he's not happy with starting either De Pedro or Pedersen at the moment so this might be where Djorkaeff fits in. Villa have quite a tough central midfield so, although he's past it and all that, Flitty has to start in there again unless Hughes throws in Douglas but that would be a bit of a risk. Well...this is what I'm hoping we'll line-up as:

Friedel

Neill     Amoruso     Matteo     Gray

Emerton  Ferguson  Flitcroft  Djorkaeff

Stead    Jansen

I think we may see Dickov in place of Stead though, but I'd love to see Hughes try a Stead/Jansen partnership because that's potentially the best we have...and potentially the best we've had for a long time.

I'm coming over from Berlin with my daughter for this game.

My last trip was at Christmas 2003 .. Villa, Boro etc.. it has to be better this time!

Rovers 3 - 0 Villa

Stead hattrick

SPARKY HUGHES BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!

Berlin section reporting for duty smile.gif

from bbc.co.uk

Blackburn are likely to include Youri Djorkaeff on the bench against Villa after he impressed in training.

Craig Short, David Thompson and Steven Reid are all still missing due to injury and will not figure.

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Enckelman, Dickov, Douglas, Amoruso, Tugay, Emerton, Ferguson, Flitcroft, De Pedro, Gresko, Gray, Jansen, Johansson, Matteo, Neill, Stead, Pedersen, Bothroyd, Gallagher, Djorkaeff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.