Cocker

Will Youri Djorkaeff improve the team  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Will Youri Djorkaeff improve the team

• Yes
    • No
    • Rather have Grooby

This poll is closed to new votes

He'd be a terrific short-term signing. Any sort of creativity at the moment will be most welcome.

If we do get him I wonder if we'll change our system. Djorkaeff operates best behind the front one/two in the hole. It could mean we switch to 3-5-2 or 4-4-1-1. Or maybe the diamond formation we used successfully at the back-end of last season with Djorkaeff instead of Tugay.

I think I've confused myself now.

My first thought was a 4-5-1 formation similar to the way Wales are set up.

I think Hughesy has so far given the team chance to prove itself by not rocking the boat too much, but I think that will change pretty soon and we will see more of his influence on the team.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go

Brad

Lucas (help me Lucas Neil, you're our only hope) Amo Short/Todd Grey

Ferguson

Emerton Pederson/DePedro

Djorkaeff

Stead Bothroyd

Dickov and Tugay on 65th minute to play the same roles as Bothroyd and Djorkaeff

Would be a good signing for the rest of the season. Gives something different to what we have as he likes to play in the space behind the strikers, gives opposition defences something to think about as well.

Would maybe more of a signing for homes games when the emphasis is on us to attack rather than away when we have to defend.

I think this is a good move in the short term - he's a quality player who can add some much needed creativity to our attack. There aren't any other free agents with his quality and Premiership experience that I can think of.

a short term deal will do nicely for me. he surely can't be any worse than whatever we have already got. but one point of concern is the fact that everton, fulham and bolton all had their chance and did not get him, and by all accounts, he was asking for too much money. given our famous lack of dosh, lets hope we're not breaking the bank for him out of desperation. besides this, if he can keep his fitness levels up, he could be a useful signing.

Of course picking up Bolton cast-offs can be used as another example of how far we've fallen in the last couple of years !

My first thought when I heard about it. If he's not good enough for them why is he good enough for us?

I'm also concerned about his age & fitness, esp after our experiences with the likes of Baggio. I suppose we know he can cut it in the English premiership, and people have written off the likes of Les Ferdinand, Sheringham, Paulo Di Canio in recent times only to see them reward a manager who took the risk.

If we get him, he can only make us better. We cant get much worse at the moment!

He would be a good signing to have for the season. He would indeed bring some creativity to the side, which is something which has been missing in the last couple of days. He would bring with him alot of experience and also the fact that he has proven himself in the Premiership.

Of course picking up Bolton cast-offs can be used as another example of how far we've fallen in the last couple of years !

My first thought when I heard about it. If he's not good enough for them why is he good enough for us?

I'm also concerned about his age & fitness, esp after our experiences with the likes of Baggio. I suppose we know he can cut it in the English premiership, and people have written off the likes of Les Ferdinand, Sheringham, Paulo Di Canio in recent times only to see them reward a manager who took the risk.

If we get him, he can only make us better. We cant get much worse at the moment!

probably as they couldnt afford to keep him

Djorkaef was in protracted negotiations with Bolton to extend his contract this summer. They wanted him, he over-played his hand trying to get too much money and he ended up with nothing. Since then, there has been plenty of contact with Prem and SPL clubs and no doubt he is getting a bit anxious to actually do a deal.

I like the idea of a contract until January which is what the Rovers are reported to be negotiating. No doubt it will have a heavy performance weighting and it will keep him hungry to extend his last big pay day.

He was inspired for Notlob last season especially as Jayjay was not producing the goods for them at the time. If fit, he could have a last Hughes-like hurrah. Here's hoping.

Decent player who can pass the ball (something we don't seem to be able to do consistently at present) , good short term signing - but more importantly he is AVAILABLE IMMEDIATLEY ! certainly can't do any harm. After last nights game a quality central midfielder must be a priority (along with a right back, centre half, left winger, centre forward laugh.gif ) even if he is only a short term solution.

Seems like a fair try this, Djorkaeff was very influential for Bolton last season and has got great techniqual abilities and is a good passer of the ball- which we need. But isn't he more of a forward than a midfielder?

Btw, interesting to see his agent again, good old Willie McKay ! biggrin.gif

Pleased that Hughes seems to recognise like the rest of us that a bit of flait is needed to boost morale if not performances. I honestly don't think we are playing that badly in general - it's just that creative spark in the final third that we don't seem to have anymore, compared to a couple of years ago when we had both Duff and Gillespie to rely on.

Tugay is playing pretty poor, but he (like others) needs Rovers to be an exciting, attacking side like we were so that he can show his true colours. Its very hard for one player in the midfield to be so creative when all the others around him are playing negatively and so cautiously.

Djorkaeff, Dyorkaeff, Jorkayeheff or how ever the bloody hell you spell it, would add that extra spice and while he may not maybe the one player to create all our chances, he could be the one to motivate those around him to play like we know they can play.

He has singed a 3 month deal with option to extend to the end of the season.

I think a few days ago I started a thread about trolloing for out of work players to assist us and he was the first suggestion !

Cant find the thread now tinykit.gif

obviously Sparky has bowed to the forum !! biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.