Cocker

Will Youri Djorkaeff improve the team  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Will Youri Djorkaeff improve the team

• Yes
    • No
    • Rather have Grooby

This poll is closed to new votes

Bad signing imo, the fact he has been without a club for a few months, but yet been in talks with quite a lot, shows he is after the £`s only. Thats probably why hes only here till jan.

He's only here until January, with the possible option for an extension, because the club want to see how he does. It shows that we are the ones dictating the terms of this deal, if he had his way and was just here for a final paycheck, I'm sure he'd be on a lucrative two year deal.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it be a bad deal? just wish we'd had the vision to get him when Bolton picked him up in the first place...

Wondering where he will play, personaly I would play him just behind the front two, in the same sort of position that Souey tried to use Yorke on several occassions. Surround him with younger players & use his footballing wisdom to get his team mates to do all the running for him.

Maybe this will also spark a renaissance in Tugay, a player who can also unlock defences when in the mood - but hasn't been in the mood in a while...

I voted yes because he's french and french people tend to want to "win at all costs"

WHAT ???

Have you not heard of the Vichy government ?!

huh.gif

Course I have - I studied french history at the Sorbonne.

When i made that generalisation, I was thinking of today's society (and sports).

Im not really sure about this one. Great player in his day (and even last season) but I am not sure he is going to slot into the system too well.

The only way I can see it working without effectively playing three up front is to go for a sort of diamond:

Ferguson

Emerton                    Pedersen

Djorkaeff

We have striker overload (and talented ones too) at the moment while a chronic shortage in central midfield.....

Anyway we cant really lose I suppose, but Im not sure it will make the team better.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Im not really sure about this one. Great player in his day (and even last season) but I am not sure he is going to slot into the system too well.

The only way I can see it working without effectively playing three up front is to go for a sort of diamond:

Ferguson

Emerton                    Pedersen

Djorkaeff

We have striker overload (and talented ones too) at the moment while a chronic shortage in central midfield.....

Anyway we cant really lose I suppose, but Im not sure it will make the team better.

Yeah I agree we need a good midfielder but im not so sure bout our overload of quality striker at all blink.gif

That's similar to what I was thinking , Joey , and maybe that would suit Ferguson playing a bit further back .Pity about Tugay but as someone said earlier Tugay and Dyorkaeff would struggle to fit into the same team . I'd also persevere with Jansen on the left for a while and hope that Emerton has been practising his crossing this week..... dry.gif

Maybe even Dickov could play behind the front two of Dy' and Stead. tinykit.gif

Short term, I thought this was good news. Apparently he's only signed a 6 month contract, and we need all the help we can get. Even if he's rubbish all we've lost is 6 months of wages - and he might turn out to be half-decent. A shame he's quite old for the premiership, but it's worth the gamble.

Wasn't he training with Fulham who were about to sign him? Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread ph34r.gif

Edited by booth

Bad news about the signing-36 year old reject from the trotters who isn't match fit.

Good news is that Hughes has recognised problems and acted . It will be interested to see where he plays, as I thought we might have split strikers. Time will tell.

Oh dear... seems Sparky has had a powercut. Toogs can do the job better than Youri, and although he hasnt been doing it recently, I would a thought a fair stretch with him not in the team would have given him the drive to get his slot back, not put him down a peg or two.

Toogs can do the job better than Youri.

I'd say Tugay and Djorkaeff are completely different players who don't do the same job. Tugay hangs far back and starts all the moves off, with occasional stunning long balls. Djorkaeff on the other hand is more like Scholes in that he tries to make things happen in and around the opposition's penalty area. It's horses for courses really, and unfortunately for Tugay, we need more creativity in the final third at the moment with the wingers misfiring (although Emerton is looking a lot better) and Dickov/Stead not really the type of player to create something from nothing.

Great as Tugay is, he does cause problems for a team playing 4-4-2 because he hangs so far back, yet is bad at tackling. You either put a holding midfielder alongside him, which means you'll always be outnumbered around the opposition penalty area, or you put an attacking midfielder alongside him and leave yourselves open if the opposition hit you on a counterattack. If/when Ferguson fulfils his potential then Ferguson/Tugay might work, but until then Toogs is going to struggle to start games.

I think this will be a good signing, I told my Pompey-supporting mate about Youri joining us and his response was a chuckle, saying about his age. dry.gif

But to be honest, last season he was great for Bolton and only a year younger, we need a vital creative presence in midfield and I think Youri is a good option and despite his age will be a good signing. wink.gif

At the Arsenal home game a couple of years back, when Toogs scored, he did most things but sit back. Given the forward-freedom, he can, imo, fill the role of Youri.

Youri and Tugay are like chalk and cheese. Tugay has (for us) always been the type who sprays passes around while Youri has made a career of attacking defences directly. Maybe Tugay could do the job Youri has been signed to do...or maybe on the other hand the Frenchman can free up some space by occupying the thoughts of opposition defenders to allow Tugay to work his magic and control the game.

At least I hope that is what will happen. Lord knows the side needs a bit of flair. World-cup winning flair (albeit a bit long in the tooth) should not be sniffed at.

Djorkaeff (nearest Rovers will ever have to an Armenian player btw) provides what we've missed since the days of Dunn and Duff at their best.

That bit of flair and imagination to unlock defences.

If only he was 10 years younger though.

He will be good in the creativity dept.as we have no one in the team doing it at the moment.IMHO Ferguson does nothing for the side...is he supposed to be a creative midfielder or a stopper....he does not appear to be doing either.

I listened to the Charlton game on the radio and I can honestly say that his name did not get a mention once in the commentary other than when he lost the ball in a dangerous position and Charlton nearly scored from it.

To be fair, I don't think he has done that much this season either, and doesn't impose himself on games like he should.

However, on saturday he was a different class, with djorkaeff dropping back and inter-changing with him, they were both outstanding. I hope this brings a new lease of life for Baz.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.