Chesterfield

Sheffield Wednesday

Burnley

Stoke City

Port Vale

Aston Villa

Liverpool

Everton

...are all grounds in addition to Carlisle on which I havee been with more than 6,000 Rovers' supporters. There are probably others I have forgotten about.

In recent times, didn't we take 7,000 to OT for the first leg of the League Cup semi against Man U?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when we played Everton in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup sometime in the late eighties we took over 10,000. We filled the terrace and stand behind the goal and spilled over into the paddock at the side. My dad took a mate of his who was an Evertonian and he said it was the largest away following he'd ever seen at Goodison apart from the derby.

I remember when we played Everton in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup sometime in the late eighties we took over 10,000. We filled the terrace and stand behind the goal and spilled over into the paddock at the side. My dad took a mate of his who was an Evertonian and he said it was the largest away following he'd ever seen at Goodison apart from the derby.

I was there at that game. Great atmosphere and it was the first game I had seen under floodlights.

I think that added to the novelty of the occasion.

I remember when we played Everton in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup sometime in the late eighties we took over 10,000.  We filled the terrace and stand behind the goal and spilled over into the paddock at the side.  My dad took a mate of his who was an Evertonian and he said it was the largest away following he'd ever seen at Goodison apart from the derby.

I was there at that game. Great atmosphere and it was the first game I had seen under floodlights.

I think that added to the novelty of the occasion.

I was there.

Tremendous.

All seater has done away with this type of occasion.......great shame for the younger fans that missed these experiences....difficult to convey the buzz of away followings of those sizes (see phillipl's post above).

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

about 6,000 id say, as we didnt fill the bottom quarter we generally get.

my dad said we once took that many to Plymouth when Speedie scored, thought he was lying!

He was! Nearer 3,000 I'd say. BTW 3-0 Speedie hat trick secured 6th place and play-offs.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

about 6,000 id say, as we didnt fill the bottom quarter we generally get.

my dad said we once took that many to Plymouth when Speedie scored, thought he was lying!

He was! Nearer 3,000 I'd say. BTW 3-0 Speedie hat trick secured 6th place and play-offs.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

There was a bloke there who couldn't watch the second half of that match. He sat on the terracing with his head in his hands. Even when we were winning I don't think he could bear to watch. Bizarre really considering he'd travelled 200 miles or whatever it is.

I also reckon there was 3000 - 3500 there, rather than 6000. I think we sent Argyle down that day as well. One of the best away days I've ever had at any rate.

How many did we take to Wigan in the League Cup a couple of years ago?

Must have been inbetween 6 - 8k because we had that big stand along the side of the ground. Wasn't it also wigans record attendance of about 20k?

Wasn't it also wigans record attendance of about 20k?

Yep, the attendance for that game was 16,922 and you're probably about right with your estimate for how many Rovers fans were in the west stand that night.

Edited by cn174

Quite often.

Bolton Wanderers

Oldham Athletic

Derby County

Man City

Bristol Rovers

Chesterfield

Sheffield Wednesday

Burnley

Stoke City

Port Vale

Aston Villa

Liverpool

Everton

...are all grounds in addition to Carlisle on which I havee been with more than 6,000 Rovers' supporters. There are probably others I have forgotten about.

In recent times, didn't we take 7,000 to OT for the first leg of the League Cup semi against Man U?

You forgot this one.......

Here's another for all you nostalgia buffs.

Bury, one Tuesday evening, April 1980.

2,000 Bury fans and over 10,000 Rovers fans in a gate of over 12,000.

The Manny Road End, normally occupied by home fans was completely full of Rovers fans. The lower part was a tarmac slope and the upper part was a terrace of railway sleepers which made a great trampoline - beggars belief today!

Think Rovers scored a pen.

The final whistle signalled a pitch invasion - Rovers won to clinch promotion.

The post match warm down by the players was not ice baths, but champagne and fags in the directors' box in front of the delirious hordes from Blackburn.

........My first away game.

Hooked.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Wasn't that the game where the police held us all outside the ground in the area bewteen the stands and a set of gates?

You forgot this one.......

Here's another for all you nostalgia buffs.

Bury, one Tuesday evening, April 1980.

2,000 Bury fans and over 10,000 Rovers fans in a gate of over 12,000.

The Manny Road End, normally occupied by home fans was completely full of Rovers fans. The lower part was a tarmac slope and the upper part was a terrace of railway sleepers which made a great trampoline - beggars belief today!

Think Rovers scored a pen.

The final whistle signalled a pitch invasion - Rovers won to clinch promotion.

The post match warm down by the players was not ice baths, but champagne and fags in the directors' box in front of the delirious hordes from Blackburn.

........My first away game.

Hooked.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Even though I don't get to all games these days, reading through this thread has helped remind me of the glorious trips in the past.

I've been very fortunate to attend each of the trips mentioned here, to Bury, Carlisle, Everton and Plymouth. Like MCMC1875 the Bury game was possibly my first or one of my first away games (Andy Crawford scored both in a 2-1 win?) - although I do remember my Dad taking me to Chesterfield a couple of months before that - a 1-0 win in a season filled with 1-0 wins (there you go, a Chelsea link for this Chelsea thread!) and a huge following that packed the open terracing behind the goal that spilled into a side enclosure.

Happy, happy days.

Incidentally I couldn't dream of paying 40 quid these days for a game of football - responsibilities and all that - but as soon as the missus leaves me and takes the little 'uns............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Even though I don't get to all games these days, reading through this thread has helped remind me of the glorious trips in the past.

Days of the Saturday Special Trains rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Add to the list Huddersfield/Newcastle/ Leeds/Oxford and Grimsby 4k plus - anybody remember Grimsby a fair few seasons back when they had to open part of the ground they had closed off as so many Rovers fans turned up (pay on the day) then they thanked us for our support over the tannoy.

There have been times when even I have been surprised at the number of Rovers fans in attendance at away games - but there have also been very bad followings as well.

Some wonderfull memories been brought back indeed, biggrin.gif

More Rovers supporters than Oldham at Boundry park @ 1987/88 to see 'Don McKays blue 'n' white army'....8k plus on the big open terrace.

Stoke away around the same season to see Rovers finally lose that unbeaten run.....5k and a bit 'o bother at the end of the game.

A bit before my time but one for our Burnley visitors on here to chew on:

Turf moor, Boxing day '77.

Over 10k travelled from Blackburn(Dean Hayes book 'East Lancashire Derbies' describes Rovers as being 'cheered on by a massive following').

By all accounts the away end was packed solid by 1 o'clock and this saw hundreds of Rovers fans being put in the Bee hole end!!

Would love to hear a few more recollections of that day by some old heads on here wink.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

More Rovers supporters than Oldham at Boundry park @ 1987/88 to see 'Don McKays blue 'n' white army'....8k plus on the big open terrace.

Stoke away around the same season to see Rovers finally lose that unbeaten run.....5k and a bit 'o bother at the end of the game.

Over 10k travelled from Blackburn(Dean Hayes book 'East Lancashire Derbies' describes Rovers as being 'cheered on by a massive following').

By all accounts the away end was packed solid by 1 o'clock and this saw hundreds of Rovers fans being put in the Bee hole end!!

Would love to hear a few more recollections of that day by some old heads on here wink.gif

Similar thing happened on Boxing Day 1982.

Longside filled 2pm. Rovers fans then began entering Bee Hole End, before being identified and marched round the touchline in a never ending column to the Longside.

1-0 Garner .........who else! tinykit.gif

(Garner on his favourite ground - quote: 'Turf Moor, because I always seem to score there.')

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

BBC have an interesting article on Ticket Prices

HERE

A very interesting article indeed.

A season ticket for the European Champions at £67 ffs !!!!

Another interesting snippet, which would be of particular interest to those looking at ways of increasing our dwindling attendances, is the provision of free public transport to all supporters travelling up to 100km, or 62 miles, to the ground.

A great idea - remove that particular additional cost and do away with the matchday traffic congestion problems all in one fell swoop !

which reminds me, does anyone know whatever happened to the rumoured plans to build an Ewood stop on the passing rail line?

BBC have an interesting article on Ticket Prices

HERE

A very interesting article indeed.

A season ticket for the European Champions at £67 ffs !!!!

Another interesting snippet, which would be of particular interest to those looking at ways of increasing our dwindling attendances, is the provision of free public transport to all supporters travelling up to 100km, or 62 miles, to the ground.

A great idea - remove that particular additional cost and do away with the matchday traffic congestion problems all in one fell swoop !

which reminds me, does anyone know whatever happened to the rumoured plans to build an Ewood stop on the passing rail line?

Waste of time.

Went to Preston for friendly in July on a Saturday.

Everyone had decided to go by train.

When staff were asked why they hadn't put extra carriages on, they said they hadn't any!

Saw a programme about policing footie matches and it showed the chief copper at Oldham briefing his men before a Rovers game.

This is what he said:

'.............Blackburn fans come early,come in numbers and drink a lot.'

Spot on!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.