BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poor Old Souness, players bite back

Thought you were doing well until those last two sentences, Brownie. smile.gif We're not in Europe now and we look more like going down, than ever before.

If you get a chance in Europe - go for it. Fortune only favours the brave. biggrin.gif

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst at Newcastle the aim is to win trophies

With respect Brownie is that not our aim as well like any Football club - if not what is the point?

Personally, my feeling is that you go out to win every game whoever you are - and even more so now given the amount these people get paid - but then again that's one of the major problems of Football nowadays.

With respect Brownie is that not our aim as well like any Football club - if not what is the point?

Personally, my feeling is that you go out to win every game whoever you are - and even more so now given the amount these people get paid - but then again that's one of the major problems of Football nowadays.

I don't believe that is the No1 aim for any club outside the top 5.

Cup progression is nice but Premiership football is essential to everything the club needs.

Look how quickly things can go wrong for the likes of Bradford Swindon and now Leeds and Coventry.

The 'point' for me is to be able to watch Premiership football every week.

Thought you were doing well until those last two sentences, Brownie. smile.gif We're not in Europe now and we look more like going down, than ever before.

If you get a chance in Europe - go for it. Fortune only favours the brave. biggrin.gif

Would you not take 10 years prem football for any cup success ?

I know I would, and I'm sure Mr Williams would.

I don't believe that is the No1 aim for any club outside the top 5.

Cup progression is nice but Premiership football is essential to everything the club needs.

Look how quickly things can go wrong for the likes of Bradford Swindon and now Leeds and Coventry.

The 'point' for me is to be able to watch Premiership football every week.

Don't seem to remember any one mentioning about the NO 1 aim just about taking games seriously. Also nobody knows who'll be the top 5 until the season ends.

Things go wrong for clubs because they are run beyond their means and mis - managed - ours would appear to be a very well run club as a whole.

My point is being able to watch Blackburn Rovers play and hopefully win - be it in whatever division - if its in the Premier then all the better but if it was just to watch Premiership Football then I would just go and watch ManU or Liverpool etc or subscribe to the Premiership package for the live games.

Just listened to sourness in his pre match interview. the smug son of a bitch !

You can see that he has got himself a serious new lease of life with landing the newcastle job I just wish he could come out and admit that he went a long way to destroying our club mad.gif

I just wish he could come out and admit that he went a long way to destroying our club mad.gif

Oh come on, get things in proportion.

He's left us in a bit of a state, but never a decent manager wouldn't have a good chance of getting us out of. He certainly left us in a better position than he found us.

If you want an example of a manager destroying a club, look o further than Johnny Bond! :-)

If we were to be relegated the better current players would leave/ be sold.As we have precious little in the way of youngsters coming through-especially compared with the last time we were relegated,I think it's arguable to say Souness left us in a worse state than he left us, having squandered an obscene amout of money on the way.

Can't agree.

For all its faults, the squad is better than the one he inherited. We are also a division higher than we were when he arrived. He's already left us, not 9 months hence when the squad may be poorer as the result of a *possible* relegation, and that that is the squad he's left us with is just ballacks.

To say: "Oh yeah but we *might* be relegated, and if so its all GS's fault, and I never liked his facial hair plus he's Scottish." smacks of an irrational hatred of all things Souness.

His last 18 months were a right cock-up, but I doubt his reign will be remembered with the same criticism as will be reserved for Kidd and co.

Edited by Bryan

Bryan I hear where your coming from but we simply have differing views.

I was a seriously pro-souness supporter and I cant be more grateful for the promotion, the worthy cup and europe.

however I cannot now or never get my head around how he systematically destroyed the soul of the club. How can he justify selling Cole no not selling GIVING him away ? Okay he had a fall out but not one person is bigger than the club not even he himself. His priority should have been BRFC not his petty little fall out with the clubs number 1 striker. Further to that he gave him away and he didnt replace him.

Before that we had similar scanarios with Dunn, okay granted I dont think souness was all too blame for that one but it strikes me that he could have handled the thing better. Duff was out of his hands but he did not replace him with the right calibre of players.

After the Cole scenario what did he do ? He simply buggered off, no tiem for the club to readdress the situation, no time for the club to rebuild or plan and simply leaving us in the mire until January.

I am pretty much of the opinion that he dismantled the team, he had certainly lost 100% backing from the club, he had lost the majority of the dressing room and he had lost a large part of the Ewood crowd.

Rovers backed him when necessary, they backed him throughout all of his arguments. Souness himself showed no loyalty whatsoever in return and stayed beyond his welcome.

Thats my view.... blink.gif

Bryan I hear where your coming from but we simply have differing views.

I was a seriously pro-souness supporter and I cant be more grateful for the promotion, the worthy cup and europe.

however I cannot now or never get my head around how he systematically destroyed the soul of the club. How can he justify selling Cole no not selling GIVING him away ? Okay he had a fall out but not one person is bigger than the club not even he himself. His priority should have been BRFC not his petty little fall out with the clubs number 1 striker. Further to that he gave him away and he didnt replace him.

Before that we had similar scanarios with Dunn, okay granted I dont think souness was all too blame for that one but it strikes me that he could have handled the thing better. Duff was out of his hands but he did not replace him with the right calibre of players.

After the Cole scenario what did he do ? He simply buggered off, no tiem for the club to readdress the situation, no time for the club to rebuild or plan and simply leaving us in the mire until January.

I am pretty much of the opinion that he dismantled the team, he had certainly lost 100% backing from the club, he had lost the majority of the dressing room and he had lost a large part of the Ewood crowd.

Rovers backed him when necessary, they backed him throughout all of his arguments. Souness himself showed no loyalty whatsoever in return and stayed beyond his welcome.

Thats my view.... blink.gif

Yes 1864 and that's been your view for a while. Since...ooooh...I dunno...the day Souness left? Of course before then you said the complete opposite on many things and I certainly remember you being one of those most glad to see the back of Cole in the summer. Maybe we were right to get rid of Cole, just because he can be arsed doing it for Fulham doesn't mean he would've for us if he'd stayed.

I don't mean to single you out 1864 but the general slating of Souness from everyone since his departure is way over the top at times and gets so far into melodrama that someone should really write a play about the damn thing.

Sure he outstayed his welcome and made many decisions that weren't the best but he did leave us in a better position than he found us, in the Premiership with a squad that can and should survive comfortably in this division if the all the backbiting and woe-is-me crap is eradicated from the squad. How many members of this board predicted we would be relegated? Not many...no need to change predictions with every blow of the wind.

The reason we are bottom of the league is partly the fault of Souness and his record but it hasn't been helped by poor refereeing decisions (I hate bringing this up but the Southampton game was a disgrace), Tugay getting himself and sent off and, most importantly, grown players not playing to their ability. People are right when they say that no one man is bigger than the club. Just let's remember that cuts both ways. It's about time supporters stopped harping on about Souness (who is yesterday's man) and looked to the future. We're in a pickle but we can get out of it. Even someone like myself who often fears the worst can see that.

There has been too much negativity, among the players, in the tactics and in the stands. It's time to forget Souness and cheer on Hughes. Either that or admit that some people are only happy when they have someone to moan about and just one person to blame.

Yes 1864 and that's been your view for a while. Since...ooooh...I dunno...the day Souness left? Of course before then you said the complete opposite on many things and I certainly remember you being one of those most glad to see the back of Cole in the summer. Maybe we were right to get rid of Cole, just because he can be arsed doing it for Fulham doesn't mean he would've for us if he'd stayed.

I don't mean to single you out 1864 but the general slating of Souness from everyone since his departure is way over the top at times and gets so far into melodrama that someone should really write a play about the damn thing.

Sure he outstayed his welcome and made many decisions that weren't the best but he did leave us in a better position than he found us, in the Premiership with a squad that can and should survive comfortably in this division if the all the backbiting and woe-is-me crap is eradicated from the squad. How many members of this board predicted we would be relegated? Not many...no need to change predictions with every blow of the wind.

The reason we are bottom of the league is partly the fault of Souness and his record but it hasn't been helped by poor refereeing decisions (I hate bringing this up but the Southampton game was a disgrace), Tugay getting himself and sent off and, most importantly, grown players not playing to their ability. People are right when they say that no one man is bigger than the club. Just let's remember that cuts both ways. It's about time supporters stopped harping on about Souness (who is yesterday's man) and looked to the future. We're in a pickle but we can get out of it. Even someone like myself who often fears the worst can see that.

There has been too much negativity, among the players, in the tactics and in the stands. It's time to forget Souness and cheer on Hughes. Either that or admit that some people are only happy when they have someone to moan about and just one person to blame.

Hallelujah !

Common sense and plain facts, all in one post.

It really is as simple as this......

Souness was told he would be given funds this summer to bring in new players. Souness felt there was lack of quality in the squad, even though he brought most of it in.

The board reviewed the situation and declined to release anymore funds for transfers. The relationship between JW and GS deteriorated, not where they fell out but Souness felt he was not really changing much of the squad due to constraints. Viduka or Hasselbaink were on the wanted list to replace Cole but he was not allowed to bring either in.

Also Souness felt that some of the players were getting tired listening to the same old voice and just maybe he had outstayed his welcolme.

So in my opinion, he has left us in the sh*t but he was told he would be given (yet) more money to change the squad this summer. Thats why folks Hughes will have around £5 million to spend, not because we are providing our new manger with funds but its the left over of the summer budget.

Edited by John

There's a lot of conjecture there John, but I don't think you're too wide of the mark.

What you have to ask, is why - if indeed the board did withold funds for Souness, did they do that?

My gut feeling on this, is that the board knew that Souness DID spend millions last season. However, the results and performances, particularly at home, were dreadful.

The obvious way to proceed was to see what the new season was to bring, not throw more millions at it. The board knew that if the season started badly, that Souness was going to have to go.

rover.gif the shadow off graeme souness still hangs over ewood,that is always the sign off a great man.

his era at ewood was only spoilt by the last 18months and if he had the balls to walk away in the summer*most including myself would have remenbered him more fondly.

i was most vigourous in my anti souness campaign,firstly over the sale off duff and dunn**and then his never ending bully boy tactics which really showed this club in a bad light,starting at soton last year.

the summer signings were a joke,i include tugay and short in these as they were offered new contract,i always thought mr souness was waiting for a job offer,spurs being my ideal job for him.but he has landed on his feet at newcastle and i for one cannot wait to see how it unravels tinykit.gif

*i think there is only tnd who realises souness love off money,the same way as i do.

**at the time i argued vigoursly that duff did not want to leave bburn,happen a few have changed there mind lately.

All I have said is fact.

I think the board were correct not to give funds to Souness. He had his fair share of money to spend. However he was told he would be given cash to stop the rot as it were. We knew he was a cheque-book manager when he took over so we cannot be surprised that he would struggle unless backed with money. For me this summer was wasted and due to the board not being able to make their mind up about where as a club we were going and now we are paying the price.

John Williams said it himself recently that fans want to be entertained, well we have an old squad at the moment who are in for a bitter, long winter. Most of the blame has to be attributed to Souness but the board are far from blameless. Hughes for me is the one bright spark we have going for us. He is a clever man who will put more emphasis on training and preparation. These aspects will help us improve as a team when it is glaringly obvious we lack quality all over the pitch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.