BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poor Old Souness, players bite back

FLB I fully respect your views and comments.

In respect of Cole, yes I slated the lazy so and so but not always. I was very pro souness but not amiss to point out that some of his decisions/actions were wrong.

No I am not certainly jumping on the "now hes gone lets berate him" wagon, I simply just am putting my perspective across. I generally see through Blue and White spectacles, I defend my club to the utter most, I wear my shirts with pride, I (or rather my wife) buys my ST religiously, I travel away regularly. But what I have witnessed,as many before me have too, is that systematically over the past 18 months our club has had its heart and soul ripped apart, the heartbeat is nothing more than a whimper at the moment and its taking a blopdy big transfusion to get it going again.

I suppose the point that I am really trying to make is that I think souness should have walked before he got the newcastle job, there were many alternatives to just slinging out Dunn and Cole, and others, and it was just his ego that has caused us these current problems which are akin to last year.

Now then listen to his comments about Bolton after yesterdays defeat.... where have we heard those words before ? mad.gif

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gone

He's left a situation behind, but we've got a better manager out of it- and hopefully come January, some better players. Maybe Souness will buy some of the dross he left us with for the money he bought them for- oops no, he wouldn't do us a favour by over-paying for players to get us out of debt.

I also have got a little fed up of all of the anti-Souness brigade who have raised their heads now he's gone. Some of us were being slated by you for our views over a year ago.

Anyway forget him- he's gone to ruin Newcastle now, and more power to his elbow in that area as far as I'm concerned!

COME ON SPARKY!!!

I also have got a little fed up of all of the anti-Souness brigade who have raised their heads now he's gone. Some of us were being slated by you for our views over a year ago.

Anyway forget him- he's gone to ruin Newcastle now, and more power to his elbow in that area as far as I'm concerned!

Yes, I think we'd all do well to follow Jan's example and not be obsessional about Souness!

laugh.gif

Damage done...now move on,and wait till Boxing Day.

We now need to up our home-grown players in the

team cos we should all like to see the sheer commitment

and energy of playing for your home team.

Bring back Dunny and Beattie and fingers crossed for Jemal,

Ciaran,Bruce,one of the Taylors and Garner/Barker.

Here's to an away win on Saturday.

Maybe Souness will buy some of the dross he left us with for the money he bought them for- oops no, he wouldn't do us a favour by over-paying for players to get us out of debt.

Yes Jan, I do recall you being particularly scathing and especially vitriolic about the abilities of Brett Emerton.

Should never play for Blackburn Rovers again or something ?

I could look up the quotes but can't really be bothered.

No I am not certainly jumping on the "now hes gone lets berate him" wagon, I simply just am putting my perspective across. I generally see through Blue and White spectacles, I defend my club to the utter most

Yes I know you do 1864 and I certainly have never doubted where your loyalty is but I feel in this case some people are in danger of blaming Souness and Souness alone for things that were only partly his fault. If Souness had left a year or so ago when Spuds were after him he'd have been a genuine contender for 'Greatest Manager Ever'. Yes, it sounds daft now but still...

It's not the point though. We certainly have at least an equal squad/team than the likes of Everton, Palace, Norwich, Southampton etc. It ain't on Souness' watch anymore, Hughes has now been here long enough to stand on his two feet and take the responsibility that he is being paid a hefty wage to take. Although he was dealt a bit of a crappy hand to start with we should still stay up. If not, Hughes, the board and the players should line up to beg our forgiveness before Souness does. The guy is yesterday's man, let's forget about him and play to our potential. As for safety...let's do this thing. Best way for us to do that is to....

FORGET GRAEME BLOODY SOUNESS!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

No I am not certainly jumping on the "now hes gone lets berate him" wagon, I simply just am putting my perspective across. I generally see through Blue and White spectacles, I defend my club to the utter most

Yes I know you do 1864 and I certainly have never doubted where your loyalty is but I feel in this case some people are in danger of blaming Souness and Souness alone for things that were only partly his fault. If Souness had left a year or so ago when Spuds were after him he'd have been a genuine contender for 'Greatest Manager Ever'. Yes, it sounds daft now but still...

It's not the point though. We certainly have at least an equal squad/team than the likes of Everton, Palace, Norwich, Southampton etc. It ain't on Souness' watch anymore, Hughes has now been here long enough to stand on his two feet and take the responsibility that he is being paid a hefty wage to take. Although he was dealt a bit of a crappy hand to start with we should still stay up. If not, Hughes, the board and the players should line up to beg our forgiveness before Souness does. The guy is yesterday's man, let's forget about him and play to our potential. As for safety...let's do this thing. Best way for us to do that is to....

FORGET GRAEME BLOODY SOUNESS!

You can shout all you want FLB, but if we go down this season I, for one, won't be blaming Hughes half as much as Souness.

I'll blame 'em both equally, as the big gripe (before he left and people starting grasping for straws about why GS was terrible - very few people were complaining about the talent while he was still here) was his poor man-management style. Any club with Ferguson and Emerton running the midfield should be easily able to stay up with a good manager.

That being said, I think we'll stay up, so the point is moot.

But what I have witnessed,as many before me have too, is that systematically over the past 18 months our club has had its heart and soul ripped apart, the heartbeat is nothing more than a whimper at the moment and its taking a blopdy big transfusion to get it going again.

Absolutely spot on. During the first Souness years another family member who had previuously no knowledge of football took their first interest in the game and became hooked on Rovers. Quite understandable really; the team had character and charisma about it. You always had a fair idea of what the team would be and where each player would be played. They were our team, and they played attractive football. Many of the players had a history with the club whilst the new players were easily integrated as there wasn't wholesale changes. It was hard not to get sweapt up by the optimism, excitment and character of the club. Those were some of the best footballing memories (along with winning the Prem) and for that I'm greatful for Souness.

Compair that to the last 18 months, average players, bland characters, and constant chopping and changing the team. You didn't know who would play or where, and you felt as if very few players belonged to the club. The idenitity of the team went and along with it the quality and attracive football. IMO it would be very hard for a person to get involved and identify with the Rovers team during the last months of Souness reign.

Had Souness never reached the dizzying hights of 6th and Europe and a league cup final would we be as dissapointed? Probably not. But to get to these hights and fall so spectacularly is criminal. From finsihing 6th to becoming relegation candiates is arguably one of the largest declines in football. My gripe with Souness if for letting something so good, go so bad so quickly.

I always look back and think 'where did it go wrong'. With the supposed crown jewels when we got promoted. Jansen, Duff and Dunn.

However I then think of Leeds plight and it makes things a bit easier.

Now we have a manager who I believe will put more emphasis on tactics, training (physical/mental) and spending money wisely. All these things bode well for the club in my view. First things first though, we need to start picking up points.

You can shout all you want FLB, but if we go down this season I, for one, won't be blaming Hughes half as much as Souness.

Well Scotty I do hope you will let the messageboard know when you have finally stopped blaming Souness for everything that has gone wrong since he joined, after he left and (hey, what the hell) before he joined as well.

It could just about be the most anticipated post on this messageboard for 2007...'Exclusive! Scotty says Souness no longer to blame!.'

Alternatively (and feel free to call me damn crazy for thinking this if you wish) the people at the club now could take responsibility for their actions and earn their pay packets without forever whining on about the people before them. It's a bit like a new government blaming the previous encumbants for their own mistakes and incompetence. It doesn't wash. If we are relegated this season there will be a hell of a lot of other people to blame as well as Souness. Although no doubt they'll try to palm off their own inadequecies onto him...

...at least, the rubber dinghy men will.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Well Scotty I do hope you will let the messageboard know when you have finally stopped blaming Souness for everything that has gone wrong since he joined, after he left and (hey, what the hell) before he joined as well.

It could just about be the most anticipated post on this messageboard for 2007...'Exclusive! Scotty says Souness no longer to blame!.'

Alternatively (and feel free to call me damn crazy for thinking this if you wish) the people at the club now could take responsibility for their actions and earn their pay packets without forever whining on about the people before them. It's a bit like a new government blaming the previous encumbants for their own mistakes and incompetence. It doesn't wash. If we are relegated this season there will be a hell of a lot of other people to blame as well as Souness. Although no doubt they'll try to palm off their own inadequecies onto him...

...at least, the rubber dinghy men will.

Good grief.

Of course people at the club should take responsibility for their actions and I've not heard anyone at the club whining about Souness or anyone else.

If you want to block the previous year out of your mind that's fine. I'm not going to though. Hope that's ok with you. I don't think you should just ignore the fact that Souness left us with a team that has a severe lack of quality up front, a completely unbalanced midfield, inconsistent (at best) defenders, players who clearly weren't as fit as they could be, and a lack of pace and flair throughout.

If you expect Hughes to come in and sort all that out straight away then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Hughes has already said he knew what he was taking on, he knew it would be tough.

So if he fails then he is the man to blame, no-one else.

If we're going to play the blame game how far back do we go? Do we perceive that it's a domino effect? Should we blame Kidd, Hodgson, Iley, Bob Saxton, Jack Marshall and a few others?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.