BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Grounds

philipl

After I called the away end at Villa "The Worst Away End In The Prem" on Awayguide.net I actually got threats of violence from Villa fans !

Still, I now think it has to be the second worst away end in the Prem (after Pompey, who were not in the Prem at the time).

Also, people should be able to create new topics now, sorry about that.

Personaly I think this list is a bit unfair, the majority of clubs with the exception of Chelsea and Portsmouth, have one thing in common. Financial insecurity.

Even Portsmouth and Chelsea untill recent times were in financial difficulties.

Brighton have had a long arguement attempting to obtain planning approval whilst MK wasnt even designed as a football stadium.

Can you imagine if it hadnt been for Jack Walker, Ewood Park would have been included in the list.

1. Priestfield, Gillingham

2. Kenilworth Road, Luton

3. Millmoor, Rotherham

4. Withdean Stadium, Brighton

5. Fratton Park, Portsmouth

6. Selhurst Park, Crystal Palace

7. Blundell Park, Grimsby

8. Ninian Park, Cardiff

9. National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes Dons

10. Stamford Bridge, Chelsea

To me a bad away ground is more than bricks and mortar. I quite like the open terrace at Stockport, but hate the one a Fulham and whilst Blundell Park is undoubtedly a shed it's a great place to watch a football game (and eat your fish and chips, and despite what The Guardian implies Cleethorpes is a pretty good pub crawl ) and the afternoon we spent in the sunshine at Gillingham for our last game in Div 1 was fantastic (although I imagine a wet wednesday night in January may be a different story).

I wouldn't loose any sleep if Elland Road was flattened

Not unless you happened to live next door to it and they began demolition at 1 in the morning.

I can vouch for Luton's ground being in that list (if not the worst stadium in Britain) as it truly is a dump. It's sort of hidden in amongst tonnes of terraced houses, feels like you're sitting in a warehouse with corrugated iron everywhere, the food's awful - think it was £1.50 for a bag of crisps as well - the fan's are, generally, bullies and, until recently, the football there has been dire. A ringing endorsment, as you can see...

I wouldn't loose any sleep if Elland Road was flattened

Not unless you happened to live next door to it and they began demolition at 1 in the morning.

I can vouch for Luton's ground being in that list (if not the worst stadium in Britain) as it truly is a dump. It's sort of hidden in amongst tonnes of terraced houses, feels like you're sitting in a warehouse with corrugated iron everywhere, the food's awful - think it was £1.50 for a bag of crisps as well - the fan's are, generally, bullies and, until recently, the football there has been dire. A ringing endorsment, as you can see...

I think your going a little over the top there Tango... I've been on Kenilworth Rd a few times recently (Friend's team) and yes it's a bit of a dump but no way is it the worst stadium in Britain!! I've seen much worse in the lower divisions.

Edited by Ben-2000

Can you imagine if it hadnt been for Jack Walker, Ewood Park would have been included in the list.

Nowt wrong with the old Ewood except that the BBE and Riverside gents had no roof on.

Certainly had more atmosphere than most.

Yes, thats right, footie grounds used to have atmosphere!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

the old bloomfield road yes. But not the newly born one. That stadium will be a cracker when finished.

My own view is that Gay Meadow is a hole, as is swansea's vetch field, chester's old sealand road, walsalls old stadium and darlingtons old ground, not to mention the racecourse, ninian park,boundary park of old, oh the lsit is endless rolleyes.gif

been there and done it ! tinykit.gif

Worst ground I've been to was Gay Meadow (beat me to it 1864) - very poor indeed. In fact dangerous. You couldn't stand at the back of the stand without hitting your head on the roof. The front of the away end must have been all of ten yards away as well - so to get a good view you'd stand at the back. Having said that - "it were better back then".

Oh - and the old Hull City away end was bobbins and all.

I remember that game! There was so little leg-room, that every time we scored I banged my legs on the seat in front. I had very big bruises by the end! AND I was glad we stopped scoring!

I personally hate Chelsea- more for the apes they employ as "stewards" than the actual cess-pit of a ground.

The 'old' Darwen end was a great end! thumbs-up.gif

It was nice & noisy, due to the roof & always had a good atnosphere in it.

(i am talking about when Rovers fans occupied it in the late 80s/ Steve Archibald?Don mackay era) thumbs-up.gif

I remember those days with great fondness. rolleyes.gif

I find it difficult to criticise Blundell Park as that evening was one of the best away trips.

Modi talking to a fellow supporter, standing outside a pub getting p!$$ed wet through waiting for Uddersfelt Blue to pick them up: "Eyal won't be playing tonight. He can't cope with these conditions..."

My football punditry died that night. smile.gif

I personally think that Middlesbrough's new ground is crap. Its a bland, charactorless shed with no interesting features at all. It is also surrounded by wasteland. Same for the Reebock Stadium, give me Burnden anytime.

Because a ground has lots of shinny seats it doesn't make it a good ground. Sometimes it may look very nice on TV but when you are actually there its a dump. Hampden Park is the classic, its so badly designed you can hardly see from half the seats behind the goals yet they get to stage a European Cup Final.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.