BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewarding and the club/fan relationship

Mike Graham

If standing areas are to be re-introduced should fences at the pitch edge and perimeters also be reintroduced?

If that's what is needed then yes - but remember not every ground had fences and some grounds including ours still have perimeters.

What if the fences were so high they impeded an escape in the event of a crush?

That's why they had emergency gates - normally at each end and inthe middle areas - but why would they be made so high - and if all things considered they would not be as cramped as they used to be as some grounds now have larger capacity and there would more than likely be a 3-1 ratio in favour of the seats.

In addition I am positive that the advance in technology and attitutude towards the treatment of fans would go someway into solving this.

However, how does this make any difference to there being a crush in the seating areas and the seats impeding an escape in a supposed similar situation.

I can't say that that there has been a crush created by an escape from seats in a hurry.

However I've seen plenty of crushes in the old stadia where the crowd to and froed.

What would happen in a standing area when you discovered away fans had infiltitrated the area,their team is winning 4-0 and a couple of fans objected to taunts directed their way?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm... TB yes there is - you either sit or don't buy a ticket otherwise you run the risk of being ejected for standing as there is no area for you to have the option to chose to go and stand in.

Yes, though there is no standing area because to have one would not be possible. I am amazed that this issue is now seemingly going to prevent people from renewing season tickets becuase it is not as if it is a recent change in legislation.

I appreciate that it is frustrating to see the away fans standing but is that an excuse? If you saw a shoplifter getting away with stealing would that give you a free reign for you to steal as well?

becuase it is not as if it is a recent change in legislation.

Maybe because of the amount of new grounds popping up around the country and the all seater stadia, people thought it was for the better and that it was the law and was expressed as such.

However, over time this has proved to be maybe safer but has near as damnnit nullified the enjoyment and atmosphere at games.

My beef is not about whether the away fans are doing it or not as is happens to home fans when we are away - its the way the whole issue is handled in football and as with others, possibly now giving the choice for people to stand by way of a suitable arrangement.

If, with the home support observing the rules, the club fail to address the away fans issue

As I said before, the onus should not be on the home club to control away fans. Home stewards policing away fans is bound to lead to confrontation.

Away supporters must be policed by their own stewards, who ensure that fans obey the rules regarding sitting down at matches.

If away fans ignore their stewards and still persist in standing, then the away clubs should be fined. Only by hitting clubs in the pocket will football start to solve the problem.

If you saw a shoplifter getting away with stealing would that give you a free reign for you to steal as well?

What the hell has that got to do with it?? dry.gif

safe terracing has been introduced in some german grounds, maybe this could be looked into?? (as has been mentioned several times before)

to answer southaussierovers question on 'infiltration of away fans', then the club could make the terrace a 'members only'or 'season ticket only' area. I`d gladly pay a £10 annual membership fee (on top of a season ticket) to be able to support my team in the way i think it should be supported. tinykit.gif

Should i stand or should i go now, who stands up, how many stand up and for how long do they stand up.

Casting an eye from the riverside stands during the game for the good of the image of Blackburn Rovers Football club to me, it looks great, and has to remain so ....... when the lower tier of the Blackburn End stands and rocks whilst cheering on the team, this to me looks great to see and portrays a positive image that should be encouraged in all home sections of the ground at all times (put that in your fans charter). In fact id love to add bannners and more blue and white colour into the scheme of things to compliment the fanatics of the Blackburn end but thats another issue.

To prevent the standing up and cheering the team on especially in the current difficult times is an unwelcomed abuse of power by those known individuals in charge of policing the safety of games at Ewood whilst the opposition fans just do what they please.

From the view i have had this season is one Rovers fans havent had many opportunities to stand up and cheer their team on so poor the performances have been. In a ninety minute game do these fans stand up for more than ten minutes during a game?

The other point is i only ever see Rovers fans standing at the top of block No 1 in the Blackburn end and they are right at the back affecting who ?

The spirit of the game for some of the Blackburn enders has certainly been tarnished with the club issueing threatening letters to certain individuals. This is bang out of order and the people in charge of the club need to repremand these club employees who instigated such proceedings.

The spirit of the game for some of the Blackburn enders has certainly been tarnished with the club issueing threatening letters to certain individuals. This is bang out of order and the people in charge of the club need to repremand these club employees who instigated such proceedings.

the spirit of the blackburn end is slowly but surely being sucked away...

sad.gif

Edited by ABBEY

the spirit of the blackburn end is slowly but surely being sucked away...

sad.gif

Abbey,

Very true, but how much of that is down to the team being c**p?

It's very difficult for me to get excited and make a noise when we are losing and when it looks like we are going to end up with no points again.

I don't think that I am any different from the rest of us that I can say that if we were mathematically relegated before the last game of the season (forgive me) but then stuffed the opposition I'd be stupidly happy.

Blaming the stewards/police/ "we're playing 12 again" is nothing more than shifting the blame.

Colin

<<It's very difficult for me to get excited and make a noise when we are losing and when it looks like we are going to end up with no points again.>>

Too true for most in today's Ewood Park but this was not always the case. The expected pattern of behaviour of the modern-day supporter in the stadium designs of today backed by the Taylor report legislation thwarts almost all attempts to buck the trend of what is happening on the pitch (when it is dire).

Not trying to suggest there is a lack of a stiff upper lip these days across the footie world as a whole but, if your team and team's results are poor, you are expected to sit in sullen silence, perhaps even sob for the Sky TV cameras if relegation is at stake, or the old favourite, leave early.

In days of yore, not too long ago, dull nil - nils would result in banter on the terraces and hardcore fans would have a good time in spite of the game with boisterous chanting and surging (ironically even), Laurel and Hardy theme etc. Even sizeable defeats would foster defiant chanting 'Oh if you're going to ...insert next fixture....clap your hands' etc.

This trumped up steward issue on the Blackburn End recently is all handbags really but soon the turgid torpor will return and everyone will have a great view of the pitch again. Rah Rah Rah!

Prawn sarndwiches all round

colin..its not just the innept refs,the over zelous stewards,the @#/? served up,the no terracing ....its some of everything....i used to buzz on a friday ready for saturday whether it be home or away(i actually had the buzz back 2 weeks ago albeit when i went to mile hile) its a case of going out of duty at the moment and the will to go is being drained.

abbey, you have summed up in a few words how I and I suspect a number of supporters feel.

My enthusiasm for the game as a whole not just Rovers is quickly declining.

In your words, there used to be "a buzz" each weekend and not just about attending a game, (even in the days of 3rd division football). The weekends started off on a Friday night when deep conversations were carried out in the pub and arragements were made up regarding transport and meet ups the following day.

On home game days, you made a point of watching the football review at 12-30 on tv before setting off to the game, then a meet up, a couple of pints and then entry to the ground where you chanted and sang making your own entertainment, until the team came out. The advent of tannoy music and large screen so called entertainment has put paid to creating a pre-match atmosphere prior to the emmergence of the players from the tunnel, in my opinion.

When the players came out,it was the roar of the fans that greeted them not tannoy music, (champions league theme music you must be joking) and as for all this hand shaking prior to kick off, well I can just imagine in years past the likes of Keeley shaking someones hand before kick-off, more like shaking their necks. The players should be going out to battle, not to make friends with the opposition.

It was the crowd that made the attmosphere, they created the build up, that geed up the players, and if the players didnt perform the fans let them know in uncertain terms. In the current pc world we are not allowed to vent our feelings, if we dont like something we are supposed to sit on our hands and say "oh dear that was a bad tackle," or "a well over the season events even themselves out"

In days of old, Saturday was the "buzz day" because that was FOOTBALL day, every team kicked off at 3pm and at 5pm Sports report or the tv tickertape gave you the result of each game, and you knew exactly at 5-30 your position in the league for the next 7 days. Now football kicks off at midday 3pm and in the evening, Saturday, Sunday, Monday or any other day to please the tv companies. We are in fact saturated with tv football coverage every day of the week.

Mid week was retained for the romance of cup football, a knock out tournament without fancy dan champions league that only creates more wealth for the media and the governing football bodies.

Im sorry to say that those running football and mercenary players are forgetting the man in the street, the core supporters who love the game as a release from the stresses of working life, and who create the attmosphere within the grounds.

Whilst grounds have been improved both in comfort and safety, it has been at the expence of atmosphere and unless the likes of Rovers can give an entertaining product on the field, the clubs only financial future will be through media sales and corporate hospitality.

Alan 75 said it all, I longed for Saturday to come home or away whether it be Ewood or away at Hereford, Torquay,Southend, Old trafford or even Matlock in the Cup.

The fun, the excitement the expectant wait has gone.

I've already loaned out my 2 ST's for the Liverpool and Brum games. For the first time in well over 30 years I can't be bothered.I'll probably get a s**t load of criticism for this, that your choice. But for the first time ever I don't care, and why...because I do not feel the Club give a toss.

colin..its not just the innept refs,the over zelous stewards,the @#/? served up,the no terracing ....its some of everything....i used to buzz on a friday ready for saturday whether it be home or away(i actually had the buzz back 2 weeks ago albeit when i went to mile hile) its a case of going out of duty at the moment and the will to go is being drained.

Thats exactly how I feel Abbey. And its exactly why I've stopped.

abbey, you have summed up in a few words how I and I suspect a number of supporters feel.

My enthusiasm for the game as a whole not just Rovers is quickly declining.

In your words, there used to be "a buzz" each weekend and not just about attending a game, (even in the days of 3rd division football). The weekends started off on a Friday night when deep conversations were carried out in the pub and arragements were made up regarding transport and meet ups the following day.

On home game days, you made a point of watching the football review at 12-30 on tv before setting off to the game, then a meet up, a couple of pints and then entry to the ground where you chanted and sang making your own entertainment, until the team came out. The advent of tannoy music and large screen so called entertainment has put paid to creating a pre-match atmosphere prior to the emmergence of the players from the tunnel, in my opinion.

When the players came out,it was the roar of the fans that greeted them not tannoy music, (champions league theme music you must be joking) and as for all this hand shaking prior to kick off, well I can just imagine in years past the likes of Keeley shaking someones hand before kick-off, more like shaking their necks. The players should be going out to battle, not to make friends with the opposition.

It was the crowd that made the attmosphere, they created the build up, that geed up the players, and if the players didnt perform the fans let them know in uncertain terms. In the current pc world we are not allowed to vent our feelings, if we dont like something we are supposed to sit on our hands and say "oh dear that was a bad tackle," or "a well over the season events even themselves out"

In days of old, Saturday was the "buzz day" because that was FOOTBALL day, every team kicked off at 3pm and at 5pm Sports report or the tv tickertape gave you the result of each game, and you knew exactly at 5-30 your position in the league for the next 7 days. Now football kicks off at midday 3pm and in the evening, Saturday, Sunday, Monday or any other day to please the tv companies. We are in fact saturated with tv football coverage every day of the week.

Mid week was retained for the romance of cup football, a knock out tournament without fancy dan champions league that only creates more wealth for the media and the governing football bodies.

Im sorry to say that those running football and mercenary players are forgetting the man in the street, the core supporters who love the game as a release from the stresses of working life, and who create the attmosphere within the grounds.

Whilst grounds have been improved both in comfort and safety, it has been at the expence of atmosphere and unless the likes of Rovers can give an entertaining product on the field, the clubs only financial future will be through media sales and corporate hospitality.

Excellent post AlanK I've started daydreaming already

StuWilky print this post and take it with you to the meeting - show them what it means to the man in the street

Football at the moment is just false and manufactured - loved by many - believed by the naive yet argued about by those that care.

Some worrying posts by supporters who seem to have lost the faith. Eighteen months ago, with Rovers pushing for a Uefa Cup place playing exciting attacking football, would they have said the same then ?

Hughes has a tough battle - to deliver the points necessary to ensure Premiership surival and at the same time entertain fans fed up with turgid performances by players who seemingly could not care less. Can he deliver ?

Stop it now ! As much as I enjoy a good pun-a-thon this isn't the place for it.

Alan75, fantastic post.

Jim, Sadly I think the rot had already started to set in Eighteen months ago. Remember when we signed Andy Cole and had one of our lowest gates of the season the game afterwards, remember qualifying for the UEFA Cup and still seeing a drop in ST sales (and gates in gerneral).

I've long since "lost the spark" for home games and have been looking forward to away ones much more. Signing Hughes did replenish the spark briefly, but that soon died again Home games are now more of an excuse to have a beer with a few mates than anything. It's probably just a matter of time before it dies for away games too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.