BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea 4 - 0 Rovers

den

First of all, I have to apologise that we haven't as yet, got a preview. That's my fault, as I usually send out a reminder to the person who volunteered, but I forgot! sad.gif If anything crops up, it will be posted on here later.

It's a daunting game coming immediately after the 'brough result, but one thing is for sure, what happened last Saturday, will have no bearing on what will happen next Saturday - so everything to play for.

Incidentally, I saw on the board outside the Horden rake, that the game is being shown live on the big screen.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We looked (sounded?) dire on Saturday, but Chelsea also looked pretty poor. For all of the balls they put into the box (esp Duff), no one was even making an effort to get to them. Never really a threat at the end to get the equalizer.

So... 0-1 us. Short on a header from a corner.

Positives:

- Historically, we've got a good record at Stamford Bridge.

- Tugay is suspended so a more combatitive midfielder should replace him - thus making us harder to beat.

- Short should be fully fit and restored to the starting line-up.

- Chelsea have a Champions league game on Wednesday that will hopefully knacker them out

Negatives:

- Chelsea will be fired up after losing their last game.

- They're better than us.

We're doomed, DOOMED, I tell you!!!

I'm with the majority- a loss. How bad will depend on how many players we manage to keep on the park. A sending off, and it'll be a cricket score (unfortunately)

However, to look on the bright side- ALL of their strikers could get injured in Europe. That would leave someone like Duff having to go up front. Oh my god- against our defence!!! GULP!!! I don't think the four of them together would get anywhere near him.

Just hoping Kezman and Gudjonssen get crocked during the champions league game.

After watching them saturday, I have to disagree with you there. I'd rather see them on the pitch!! (Especially Kezman.)

3-0 to Chelsea.

Recommend this pub for pre- / post-match refreshments, although you'l need to cover up colours- it's a bit of a Chelsea pub.

Bit of a Chelsea pub!! FFS. In order to protect our dwindling fan base, let me say that this boozer is frequented by some of the dodgiest individuals ever to grace The Shed! The only reason I got out in one piece, I put down to being with an extremely good looking blonde girl who coincidentally was mad keen on the Rovers. Those Chelsea fans we spoke to actually questioned our sanity because they rarely saw away fans.

For those who can't summon up the money or the courage, the match will be shown 'live' in The Golden Cup, Blackburn Road, Lower Darwen.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

3-0 to Chelsea.

Recommend this pub for pre- / post-match refreshments, although you'l need to cover up colours- it's a bit of a Chelsea pub.

Bit of a Chelsea pub!! FFS. In order to protect our dwindling fan base, let me say that this boozer is frequented by some of the dodgiest individuals ever to grace The Shed! The only reason I got out in one piece, I put down to being with an extremely good looking blonde girl who coincidentally was mad keen on the Rovers. Those Chelsea fans we spoke to actually questioned our sanity because they rarely saw away fans.

For those who can't summon up the money or the courage, the match will be shown 'live' in The Golden Cup, Blackburn Road, Lower Darwen.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

oh.

The times I've been before haven't been on match days.

Guess it might be best to change plans...

Chelsea 2-2 Rovers

Chelsea open the scoring after 6 minutes and 2 seconds, Eidur gudjonsson heading home from a Tiago cross. Just 23 minutes and 27 seconds later,

Mateja Kezman fires home after a scrambel in the rovers box. However with only seconds until the half time whistle, Paul Dickov slams the ball home from close range. Rovers bring on Jay Bothroyd to help search for an equaliser, and after 92 minutes Bothroyd latches on to a Emerton cross to sidefoot past Petr cech. Hughes and all the staff run on the pitch in celebration. Of course, chelsea complain.

On the plus side Chelsea have played pretty negatively this season and aren't the all out attacking force that some teams are. Also Chelsea don't like playing combatitive teams and we have the potential to be a combatitive team (remember the first half vs United).

On the negative side with Chelsea's cautious approach I'll be impressed if we get a shot on target, especially if we play with one up front. Secondly despite their caution Chelsea have pace in the team, something our defence lacks.

We need a left footer on the left and if Pederson isn't considered tough enough for this one how about a Gresko Grey partnership (with Grey lb) as that might provide us with a bit more protection for the back four. Todd or Nissa should partner Short at centre back, Amo and Matteo should be left back in blackburn. I'd favour Nissa in case Todd's fitness is still a bit suspect and he's got a bit more pace as well.

Emerton must be on the right. He's been great for us this season and the boro game proved he can't play on the left. Reid should partner Ferguson and be told to get stuck inand protect the back four. I'm not reid's biggest fan but I think he's the best possible choice for defensive midfield at the moment.

Up front Dickov and Jansen. Both work hard and defend from the front. With Jansen as target man we'd be able to see a lot more out of Dickov and actually have someone to aim for when the inevitable route one approach kicks in. Djorkaeff's (sp) a great player but really we need every player capable of defending. I'd bring him on in the last twenty minutes when the Chelsea team are more tired and his drifting can cause the most problems.

As for the score if Rovers have a decent plan, stick to it, and make a few key changes to the team maybe a 0-0 draw. Otherwise a Chelsea victory is on the cards.

All depends on whether Chelsea get through wednesday without an injury and whether Amoruso is playing on saturday. If Short is fit, I think we can keep Chelsea from scoring too many.

This game will be won in midfield; chelsea are light on strikers at the moment and Rovers have yet to find a striker capable of scoring this season. Mourinho will no doubt play a diamond and it is imperitive that Ferguson is on top of his game and that we actually have some bite in his midfield partner. Makalele has been excellent this season and is the biggest obstical to over come as I'm sure he will break up most of opur moves. To counter this I'm sure Hughes will be playing 5 in midfield with Djorkaeff and Ferguson making plenty of forward runs.

Im hoping we play Emerton on the right so we can exploit Chelseas narrow midfield but really do not think Pedersen should play. He will be up against one of the worlds best right backs in Ferreira and he just isn't physically strong enough to beat him. I'd like to see us play De Pedro though this is at best unlikely.

On this basis I would like to see a Rovers team of...

Friedel

Neill / Short / Matteo / Gray

Emerton / Djorkaeff / Ferguson / Reid / Jansen

Stead

As for the score - 2-0 Chelsea.

Chelsea Preview:

And so we lurch towards Stamford Bridge and high-flying Chelsea. Both sides are under new management and while Jose Mourinho’s men have lost just once in nine league games and conceded just two goals while Mark Hughes looks to have serious problems on his hands. The shortcomings of the defence and a front line which must be one of the weakest in the Premiership are the two most obvious ones for our new manager.

Chelsea’s defence seems very strong, only James Beattie has scored from open play against it and it is up front that the problems arise. With Drogba injured and Mutu digging himself into all sorts of problems it appears likely that Kezman and Gudjohnssen will start up front. Kezman has struggled to find his feet so far in English football and has yet to score. Possibly the surprise performance of the season has been Tiago in midfield, the ex-Benfica man was a relatively low-key signing but has been performing well and is as regular a player as any in the midfield. Quite who Rover’s star performer is it’s difficult to say, Emerton is probably as close as any one, having improved dramatically on last season’s efforts.

In recent times the games have produced some entertaining matches and Blackburn are unbeaten in the league at Stamford Bridge since 1984 (when not even Craig Short was playing professional football). Last season the two teams played out a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge while at Ewood Park a last minute Glen Johnson goal won the game for Chelsea 3-2, after Gallagher had equalised only moments before. At the Bridge Cole scored twice for us while Mutu and Hasselbaink got Chelsea’s goals. For various reasons none of these players will be playing on Saturday and it’s interesting to take a look at the line-ups from that day. Both sides could certainly do with a goalscorer like Cole or Hasselbaink.

Chelsea (H vs. Blackburn Rovers, 30/08/03):

Cudicini, Johnson, Terry, Desailly, Bridge, Veron, Lampard, Geremi, Duff, Mutu, Hasselbaink.

Four of the XI are first team regulars under Mourinho, four more are in the reserves and three are playing elsewhere.

Blackburn :

Friedel, Neill, Amoruso, Babbel, Gresko, Flitcroft, Tugay, Reid, Thompson, Cole, Jansen

More of the Rovers side have seen sustained first team action this season. The exceptions being Babbel and Cole who have moved on, Gresko who’s been replaced by Gray and Thompson and Reid who have spent yet more time on the physio’s table.

The season before both sides won the away fixture, Zola scoring twice at Ewood in a 3-2 win while Rovers won 2-1 in London thanks to Yorke and Dunn goals. 2001/02 saw two 0-0 draws in our first season back in the top flight while back in 1998/99 Chelsea won 4-3 at Ewood as Le Saux got Perez sent off. In the overall head to head league records Rovers have a slight advantage, with 31 wins to Chelsea’s 30. However when cup competitions are included the sides are level with 33 wins each.

An interview with a Chelsea fan will follow in the next few days...

Edited by den

We'll beat them, no problem.

Teams always seem to struggle after Champs league games so this is a good time to play them. Duff seems to fall over all the time at the moment so he is really not the player he was when he left Rovers. They are not that strong up front, and whilst we are not exactly breaking the back of the net on a regular basis, we are due a goal or two from who ever plays up front.

2-1 Rovers, our great record at Stamford Bridge being maintained.

------------ Brad -------------

--- Neill - Short - Todd - Gray ---

Bert - Flitcroft - Ferguson - Reid

---------- Djorkaeff ------------

---------- Stead -------------

That team on paper will work hard and make us hard to beat. Neill and Gray keep their places as there's no one else to take them (Gresko?!? ffs). Amo and Matteo need "a rest". Reid starts on the left this time - hopefully he can keep running around and cause them a few problems defensively, although with a bit of luck de Pedro and MGP are starting to show in training just why that other fella brought them to the club.

Much as I wanted Dickov to do well I just feel that he simply hasn't enough quality, it's not enough just to close defenders / the goalkeeper down and stop them clearing their lines, I thought he'd have a bit more to his game (I'm right naive me), don't get me wrong he'll still have a part to play but I'd also give him "a rest". So Stead comes in - time to stand up and be counted Jon - I've every confidence in you. Youri to hold the ball up for us and bring the likes of Ferguson and Emerton into the attack - an awful lot depends on those two this season.

Neill to have their left winger in his back pocket for 90 minutes ( blink.gif ).

So that's my team for what it's worth.

The result? 2 - 0 to Chelsea. They'll surely have too much for us. This isn't one of those games where you expect to get anything. We're in a mess and no mistake but despite this I still think we'll stay up this season. We're poor but not as poor as some of the others. 8 points = 14th place in the Premier League. We've been, by and large, hopeless and yet we're not out of it at all. I doubt 40 points will be the target this season.

It's time for "Dogs of War", "Fortresses" and "Siege Mentality"'s. tinykit.gif

--------- Friedel ---------

Neill -- Amoruso -- Short -- Gray

--------- Flitcroft ---------

Emerton -- Ferguson -- Douglas -- Djorkaeff

--------- Dickov -----------

EDIT: Thinking about it, Reid deserves to keep his place so Reid instead of Douglas.

Edited by Scotty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.