BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Out

Flopsy

To repeat what I said on another post, it is going to be interesting to see how Hughes reacts to his comment on Radio Lancs that the players are not doing on the pitch what they learned in training.

It's certainly going to be a long hard season.

Now that post gives me hope. If the players are not doing what they are supposed to it is Sparky's job to fix it, I trust he will. Perhaps things will get interesting.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread reeks of 6 months ago when we were struggling and the Souness out thread was over 100 pages. Same arguments, different manager. But how you can compare the two is beyond me. Thankfully most posts are ridiculing the suggestion.

Hughes has had 5 games, yes, we've not played well and are off the back of two hammerings but give him time. It is not his fault that we have some complete dross playing for us. Souness, the board and the players' themselves are to blame. Souness is the main culprit and many fans will never forgive him for it, especially if we go down, but if the no commitment comments are to be true, that is very worrying.

Give Hughes until after Christmas to install his own philosophy, weigh up his squad and bring in a defence (hopefully). If results do not improve by then, maybe we should start sweating, but I wouldn't get rid even if we go down as I feel we've got a good man who will do the club well over the long term.

As someone pointed out, after Saturday we will have played Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle away, Man U and Liverpool at home; arguably the upper echelon of the league where most teams in our position get very few points. It will get better, we will start playing a bit.

To repeat what I said on another post, it is going to be interesting to see how Hughes reacts to his comment on Radio Lancs that the players are not doing on the pitch what they learned in training.

It's certainly going to be a long hard season.

Now that post gives me hope. If the players are not doing what they are supposed to it is Sparky's job to fix it, I trust he will. Perhaps things will get interesting.

As long as the management realises it too, then we obviously have the right people in charge. Not their fault we were crap when they took charge.

I don`t know if people are attention seeking by saying Hughes should go but it really is quite ridiculous.

The guy must be chomping at the bit to put his stamp on this team but has to wait until January to do it. It must be incredibly frustrating for him and will not be helped by the fans unrest on the terraces or internet messageboards.

Sparky has been left with a squad by Souness that is simply not up to the job. Stick Fergie or Wenger in charge and they would struggle.

If we go down it won`t be Hughes`s fault. It will be Souness`s. If and when Sparky gets new players, half the season will be over, the damage will already be done and then he will have to blend his new players in to HIS team and HIS team and may well be searching for a miracle.

Hughes isn`t at fault. The fault is about 3/4 hours drive to the north east.

Guest ewareing@ukonline.co.uk

Oh dear this is very sad arguments and disunity!

Hughes can do no worse than try new younger players who may respect him and want a future in football! rolleyes.gif

Scotty nailed the problems Souness left the club with a couple of pages ago. If he'd have set out to destroy the club, he couldn't have done much better. And this from a Souness fan.

I was less than enthusiastic about Hughes' appointment, drawing comparisons with Kidd and one has to wonder how we can get stuffed so badly.

However from the three home games since Hughes took over, I've concluded the team looks better in many respects: fitter, sharper and better drilled. And make the comparison to Everton, who's squad looks not much different to ours'. it's not all doom and gloom, and we have a host of winnable games coming up.

Up the Rovers!

One final point is we have played Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and we have Liverpool coming up, in my opinion the top six teams in the league, games should get a little easier.

That's true ; the run up to Xmas however is (after L/pool) Norwich (A), City(A) , Brum (H) , Fulham (A), Spurs(H) , Palace (A)and Everton(H) . All games which we could , in theory , pick something up other than a damn good thrashing mad.gif

Serious points need to be taken from these games , otherwise the transfer window might be too late for any good it might do , and this daft thread might have to be resurrected sad.gif

sorry didnt mean this to be "attention seeking" just thought id get my views in so I wouldnt be called fickle in a month or two time when we are rock bottom of the prem with a GD of -60 and still havent scored, and people start calling for Hughes head.

All i would like to say is that I havent seen an improvement in Rovers fight or bottle, or organisation since Hughes took over.

I think it could come-look at how long it has taken Hendry to start an improvement. What does concern me more is where he is playing people and I shall be interested to see what he does to improve the defence,midfield and attack.

I never thought i'd hear myself say this (see myself type this?) but I really don't like our team. I don't mean that I think they aren't performing (although they aren't) or that they are a nasty bunch of people but as a group our team lacks redeeming, likable qualities:

1. We aren't flashy and we have no awe-inspiringly creative players (Tugay used to be but nowadays...) so watching us play is simply not enjoyable. At least the pace and threat of Duff as well as the sporadic genius of Dunn were entertaining when we lost but nowadays there's nothing to take home from a bad result.

2. We aren't consistent. At least I could handle boring football if we were winning or producing clean sheets but it's impossible to look at our defence and go "boring but solid" and respect them for that.

3. No real characters or "rallying points" in the team. At least when Duff or Jansen were in their prime you knew that even if the chips were down thsose two could produce magic that would save the game or at least instill hope for the next game. They were players who were easy to love because of their skill and infectious enthusiasm. Who can we turn to nowadays? Stead was great at the end of last season and you could see all the kids in the crowd wearing their Steadinho jerseys but now? Matteo? Dickov? please.... We all miss Uncle Jack as well as his very presence meant that even if things were bad now the future was always bright.

4. Very much related to the previous three but there is no fear-factor associated with Rovers anymore. Teams come here knowing that if they play an Ok game they are going to get a win. Not like two seasons ago when teams knew that even if they played at their best we might still beat them. Having a team that was feared and respected made the games so much more enjoyable as the quality of football increased, the games had better atmosphere as the fans were enjoying themselves, and it actually felt like being a Rovers fan was something of which we could be genuinely proud.

Nowadays every game is a grind. I can't remember enjoying a single game we've played this season and that is the worst thing I've ever had to say about my beloved Rovers. I don't blame Hughes though. I just want to enjoy supporting this team again (I'll always support the club).

Edited by samtheozzy

I have to say it's very interesting reading everyone's views but i can't help but think people may be missing the point and just blaming souness, has noone thought that he may of been a good manager for keeping the team above water and it's not easy ask mark hughes. I agree some of his signings we're terrible but i can't imagine us losing 4 nil 2 games in a row with souness as manager. I still believe hughes will come good but it will be next year getting us promoted as i strongly think we lack any flair but it don't matter as have no strikers to finish the chances, need i even mention our defence.

If we go down it won`t be Hughes`s fault. It will be Souness`s.

Actually it won't be the fault of any one person - it never is. Sure Souness left us in a poor position but that was with just four games gone. If we do go down then Hughes will certainly have played a part. Quite simply it his job to keep us up with the players we have, if he isn't capable of that he shouldn't have taken the job.

Souness is to blame for many things but not quite EVERYTHING. Remember that his team was beating Man Utd in injury time. With good management from Hughes, instilling a bit of discipline and confidence in the squad we should be safe. Especially as the board will almost certainly give him something to spend in January; they always have at times like this and if he truly was their number one choice then surely they should back him. Certainly Williams has said as much to the press, saying that Hughes is "a modernist", whatever that is supposed to mean. Hughes needs to be given time to work his magic...then he can be judged on results

Souness left the club in a bit of a state but we can't go on blaming him forever. Not unless you want to sound like a Burnley fan going on about John Bond forever and a day.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=314455&cc=5739

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Arsene Wenger didn't win anything for the first few years at Arsenal.

Good Grief.

Wenger won the Premiership and FA Cup Double in his first full season at Arsenal, FFS.

Link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/special_ev...002/2542591.stm

I stand corrected on that one then. However, good managers have made bad starts to jobs and gone on to succeed - so let's hope Hughes does a Colin Hendry at Blackpool. I mean, turn things around, not lose incessantly. wink.gif

Flopsy I don't think anyone is saying that there is any significant improvement. The point is more that he has only been in charge for five games, and needs to be given time.

Like time in the First Division?

There is no improvement, no fight, no skill, no hope

(ive had a bad day and my natural optimism is at an all time low)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.