BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Out

Flopsy

rover.gif just listened to the manager on radio lancs and he spoke tremendously well,seems to be very upbeat and positive,and did not sound like a man under pressure. tinykit.gif

well he bloody should be under pressure

we're bottom of the league with a gd of -15, southampton just got a point at highbury and we are so screwed

(that being said if we win tonight and hughes is a genius biggrin.gif and is the best manager ever - i love being fickle)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching the Rovers - Liverpool match as we speak, and it's 1-1 at the moment. I feel I have to put my two bits in.

I've been on this messageboard from day dot, and have adjusted to the constant moaning. I am someone who tries to look on the positives. Here are my opinions on some things people have moaned about here.

I didn't really follow-up on the thread I created, but I actually got to the Rovers - Villa game, my first and only Premiership fixture. That day, I felt pleased with the tactics that Hughes employed. I was very much pro-Souness, but I am equally supportive of Hughes.

The best tactical move that day, I felt, was switching Emerton on the left. I was seeing exactly what Tugay4England had been griping about with Emerton, until he switched to the left, and started to pick up his game. I don't know why there is moaning about it. It's the 35th min. of the Liverpool game now, and he's been good in that position.

The other gripe is Souness supposedly forcing out Cole. I am glad Cole left, even if Souness left anyway. I am certain Souness being there or not wouldn't have made a difference to Cole, his attitude to the club had started to deteriorate and to mine, Stead's appearance forced him to pick up his performances, and ruffled his feathers. The other good thing to come out of it is that we've got Bothroyd. He's not done anything spectacular so far with the Rovers... but this guy is strong, and has a lot of potential. That was a Souness decision, and I am yet to see it as a bad one.

Anyway, I guess that's my moan. I'll let everyone else have their chance. Bye for now rolleyes.gif

rover.gif just listened to the manager on radio lancs and he spoke tremendously well,seems to be very upbeat and positive,and did not sound like a man under pressure. tinykit.gif

well he bloody should be under pressure

we're bottom of the league with a gd of -15, southampton just got a point at highbury and we are so screwed

(that being said if we win tonight and hughes is a genius biggrin.gif and is the best manager ever - i love being fickle)

rover.gif i thought last week flopsy arguement was merited but a bit harsh on the manager,when you think off it he had to give sourness's players a chance,they failed to take it.

the changes today certianly helped,just a couple more and we might start moving in the right direction tinykit.gif

Im having a small slice of humble pie for my supper.

However one result doesnt make survival

least we showed fight, spirit and a fair bit of skill and panache

don't dare have humble anything yet, long long way to go, doing well against a good team and getting a single point, it typical of a struggling side, because its about consistency.

I'm really not slightly excited by todays performance because it reminds me of Manu 1996 when the score was 2-2 and then we managed to go another 8-9 without winning.

Consistency

but at least Hughes has shown bottle in making chances, thats a good sign. I question whether Souness would have ever dropped Matteo

Im having a small slice of humble pie for my supper.

However one result doesnt make survival

least we showed fight, spirit and a fair bit of skill and panache

don't dare have humble anything yet, long long way to go, doing well against a good team and getting a single point, it typical of a struggling side, because its about consistency.

I'm really not slightly excited by todays performance because it reminds me of Manu 1996 when the score was 2-2 and then we managed to go another 8-9 without winning.

Consistency

but at least Hughes has shown bottle in making chances, thats a good sign. I question whether Souness would have ever dropped Matteo

Thats one of way of looking at it.

You could also say that it has to start somewhere, and I thought our performance yesterday was excellent. Who knows whether we'll actually start to turn things around now, but other than a poor first 10 minutes, and one error that cost another goal, I saw nothing wrong (though obviously we aren't Arsenal) with what happened out there. It wasn't just a back to the wall scrap like we showed we can do towards the end of last season, what was most impressive was that there was fight and passion, but the sort of skill I think we'd all want to see.

• 2 months later...

A couple of quotes from a very good article by Joe Lovejoy;

On Barry Ferguson

“Clubs covet good players at other clubs. It happens all the time. We made our bid and it was ultimately accepted. The situation with Barry is not the same. The bid Rangers have made is unrealistic. They’ve offered £3m for a guy who cost us £6.5m. We won’t be doing business for that money.”

And quite damningly on the previous regime

“How well I’m doing is for other people to judge, but in the time I’ve been here, I think I’ve turned it around, not only in terms of results but in the way the players train and prepare. The players now have more information about who they are playing against, and because of that they’re not going into games blind any more. They know exactly what they’ve got to do. Given all that, I expect better performances and results.”

"Not going into games blind anymore!" Blimey! What were Souness, Saunders, et al up to?

AESF, I was also one of Souness's biggest supporters, but in the end had to accept that the wheels had fallen off somewhere and it would seem that the buck stops with the manager so if he was deciding on training/fitness tactics, then the fault lies with him.

I must say I've been superbly impressed with Hughes since he started. Not only for the way he manages the players but for the way in which he conducts himself publicly - he comes across as intelligent.

• 2 weeks later...

Right - Im sure im having knee jerk reaction to the fact that we have lost the last 2 games back to back 4-0 with two players scoring a hattrick. That we have no spirit, no fight, no skill, no pace, no invention, just a shakey defence and a toothless attack.

We have lost the last two games with back-to-back 1 - 0 results (again, against Chelsea and Middlesbrough).

We now, at least, have a solid-looking defence.

Our attack is still toothless, though.

My verdict: We have improved. Hughes...stay! wink.gif

Edited by James No. 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.