Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Match Review 2 - 2

Ste B

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers 0-3 Liverpool Att 26,102

I would have gone for 4-0 but we can't lose by the same score for 3 games in a row. Its the run of games after this one that are worrying me, we could be stuffed if we don't start winning quick.

If anyone in the Edinburgh area fancies a night of crying into their beer wiyth like minded people come along to the Queens Arms on Frederick Street to watch the game.

how do i get a face like everyone else!

At the top of the message board is a link to My Controls. If you go there, you'll see a link on the left which says " · Edit Avatar Settings" where you can choose a picture.

As for the Liverpool game, I cant see Rovers winning at all and our non-scoring record will continue. 2-0 to Liverpool. sad.gif

People in the media who have been watching Liverpool all season say they haven't been playing that well.OK, I know our performances have been shocking,but IF Hughes can come up with a tactical plan,inspire players etc, it is not impossible for us to get something out of the game.

Match Preview

This was provided by my koppite friend Tommy B. Feel free to move it to the top of the thread.

1. What do you see as Liverpool's priorities this year? Europe, Domestic Cups or the Premiership? How do you think you will fair in each?

With the influx of new players/coach this year, our focus should be solely domestic. We're kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. We shouldn't have much difficulty finishing 4th in the premiership this year, but the important thing will be how we do it. Last year was comedy but this year we certainly need to make more of a statement. In terms of Europe, getting out of the group stage is achievable and would be great. Anything else is a bonus. We'll win the FA Cup if every game can be played at Anfield. The whole travelling thing seems to be eluding us at the moment.

2. What is your opinion of Blackburn Rovers this season?

I think Neil needs to break some more legs to give them a bit of a kick start. I'm also at a loss to explain how such a popular and successful club has ended up with such a bunch of no-name players.

3. Last season it was a popular opinion that Liverpool was one Stevie Gerrard away from mid-table obscurity or worse. This season there has been much less publicity surrounding Gerrard. Do you see this as a function of poorer performances by Gerrard or better performances by other Liverpool players? How do you think Gerrard has played so far this season?

After Henry, Stevie G is the best player in the premiership and he proved in the first couple of games. But he's been out for several weeks now, and Liverpool have put a few good performances together as of late. The spanish influence has certainly helped...garcia in particularly. So, I think it's more due to having better players around him. But no one will be complaining when he returns. He's the heart and sole of the team.

4. You acquired a new manager this season; Were you pleased with the selection of Benitez as manager? Were there other managers you would have preferred?

I didn't know anything about him. But he won the Primera Liga with a playing list that was considered far weaker than the top 2 teams and thats probably the same boat we're in. He seems to have the right idea and is prepared to make hard decisions. Getting rid of Owen was a masterstroke. There weren't that many available managers other than Mourinho. Martin O'Neils name always comes up when Liverpool have an opening...He also wouldn't be a bad choice but I think you need a slightly more sophisticaetd approach in these days.

5. Rovers got rid of Souness and brought in Hughes. What is your opinion of each manager? Are we better or worse of under Hughes?

Souness is Scottish and Hughes is Welsh. Beyond that, I don't really know that much I'm not a massive fan of booting managers because the team is going @#/? this early in the season, particularly if they used to play for Liverpool. But I guess the board are thinking that its better to make a change before things get too dire. Although I can't imagine Hughes has won to many fans during his time in charge.

6. Danny Murphy left Liverpool in search of the 'camaraderie' he thinks no longer exists at cosmopolitan Anfield (here for reference). Do you think he was right in suggesting that English players and an English manager contribute to a better team spirit? How has this affected Liverpool?

My initial answer to this question was Liverpool 2 - Charlton 0, but I was told these answers require more detail.....There seems to be this idea that players from Europe are more clinical and professional, and therefore must be robots who lack spirit. What a load of crap. These guys have played football all their lives and want to win as much as the next bloke. Look at what DiCanio did for West Ham (and before anyone cracks wise, the answer is not 'get them relegated').

7. Obligatory sympathy question: Blackburn has not had a penalty in a year and half. Are we hard done by or simply unlucky?

The correct answer is that you haven't got any because none of the opposing defenders have fouled a Blackburn player in the area during that period. (Ed. Get stuffed Tommy)

8. Henchoz, a former Rover and current Liverpudlian, looks like he will be part of the January sales. Comment on his career at Anfield and your thoughts on his impending departure.

Henchoz came to Liverpool with a rich history of comedy defending. I, for one, was initially cautious about his impending arrival. However, during 'the year', he managed to grow into a cross between Paolo Maldini and Bobby Moore. Then he resumed his comedy defending again. He will be remebered most for his role in Liverpool's absolute burgulary of the 00-01 FA Cup. The blatant handball that denied Henery about his 5th certain goal was sublime. Seriously, I think another centre-half to play next to Hoop-eye-a is Liverpool's biggest priority. That, and convincing baros and Cisse that things work better if they pass to each other

9. Liverpool and Everton have one of the oldest rivalries in football but Everton's relegation struggles over the last couple of seasons has seen a focus on Liverpool's other rivalry v Mancherster United. Considering Everton's excellent form this season, who would you rather beat, Everton or ManUre? Why?

Always everton champ...It doesn't matter how well they're playing, thats the bad boy. There's something about playing the 'other' team in any city...... They always seem like they have less teeth and sleep with their sisters. But beating ManU is also good because their essentially a bunch of cheating cheap c%$ts. As for Everton's form, they'll fall over.

10. Lucas Neill snapped Jamie Carraghers leg when the teams met in 2003. What was your opinion of the tackle and reaction of the managers after the event? Do you think the bad blood between the two clubs is still there?

I mentioned before that Lucas is the man to get things moving at Blackburn. The tackle wasn't that bad. Having given up football to play Aussie Rules in recent years, I long for the days when a 'tackle' simply meant getting booted in the shins. Now I'm more worried about some bloke who's out on parole breaking my leg. Houllier was certainly a little bit flustered but I think that was more to do with him seeing his career going down the toilet. As for bad blood, I'd be surprised...that was last season and Carragher's ok. Plus, I think Liverpool are all a little bit scared of the mad man. Now all we need is for him to do it to whoever finishes 5th in South America (Australia's World Cup qualifier opponents)

11. Who are Blackburn's main threats and weaknesses?

Friedel has been a quality keeper, and Dickov has been lively at times. Other than that, the cupboard is a little bare at Blackburn this year. In terms of weaknesses, after leaking 8 goals in two matches, a finger has to be pointed squarely at the defence. You played Neil out of position at Centre-half last week and the results were pretty dire. You also need Emo to starting getting a bit wider

12. Who are Liverpool's main threats and weaknesses?

Garcia is obviously the man....fairly useful goal against Charlton last week. Baros scored a couple in the Carling cup so maybe he's getting back into form. Alsonso has also given us a bit of width in the last couple of games which had previsouly been lacking. Our biggest weakness is the Cisse-Baros combination. They're both brilliant players but they're not gelling. I think if they can work themselves out, we have a really, really solid 11. As long as Kewell isn't in it

13. What line-up do you think Liverpool will put out for Saturday?

I hope he persists with Cisse-Baros up front. I think he's got to look for next year in some respects and just let them work it out on the pitch. Plus, when garcia goes up front, we lose a little bit in the midfield. I'm glad to see Kirkland back in the side as well cause I think he's a better long term bet than Jerzy. We looked pretty good against Charlton last week, so I'd expect Benitez to go with pretty much the same line, which was: Kirkland Carragher Finnan Hyypia Traore Alonso Hamann Garcia Risse Baros Cisse

14. Who do you see as our best 11?

To be honest, I haven't got a clue. (Ed. That is of course the only answer any of us could give)

15. What do you think the result of the match will be?

Our road form is not great at the moment, so its hard to be confident. But I don't think that the Blackburn back 4 will cause many problems for the likes of Garcia. And Hyppia and Co should be able to handle Dickov and Reid. I think Liverpool will squander a number of chances early, giving Blackburn a sniff. But they'll come up 1 or 2-nil

Hasn't that been your prediction for all the other matches of the season bob? wink.gif

That's a diabolical claim. I'm deeply offended. Only last week I stook my neck out and said that Chelsea would beat us.

er.... actually, thinking about it, other than that, you've got a point there. One of these days though, you'll see.....

We'll get a penalty tomorrow and we'll win. How? I've absolutely no idea

tinykit.gif

Let me explain Bobf - because we score the penalty and they don't socre at all - something along the law of we will have scored more goals than them biggrin.gif

To clarify I will bring along a diagram for you to peruse tomorrow thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.