BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

The reality is the new owner reneged on the commitment to pay money into the club meaning wages were not paid, bills went unpaid and due payments were never made meaning a default and lack of funds to carry on exasperated by the current crisis and cash flow issue. I understand the figure was close to £27m leaving no option but to go into administration as the penalty position was not a good financial option. They have already sold 2 young upcoming stars with further players outgoing in the fire sale just to raise funds to allow the business to continue. Not sure who the bidder is but it does not appear to be the rugby side of the business although that cannot be ruled out just yet.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Could Wigan pay off their debts? If not then they have overspent. The reason why they cannot repay is irrelevant 

It’s one thing what annoys me is the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Southampton all have been in administration at least once all have shafted creditors and now all earn mega millions and have never paid there dues 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

The preferred bidder has pulled out 

Strange why you would pick him if his bid require the club stay up. Plus looks like they don't their bid to have the 12 points overturn won't be successful

The Administrators are cutting the wage bill. so who ever the owner is and the manager is massive cutbacks are happening there

1 hour ago, JPTSwindon said:

Have to say I feel for Wigan and their fans.

12 point rule is rightly in place to stop clubs gaining an unfair advantage on budget, but it does seem they were unlucky, very unlucky on a new owner defaulting.

And yet the opposite is also true. If they get away with it, it would be a travesty. Hugely unfair on other clubs - especially Barnsley. The rules were known before the season started.

That said, despite having no sympathy for Wigan at this time, I agree with your sentiment. What I would prefer to see is that owners are held directly accountable and NOT clubs - which I firmly believe are “owned” by the fans - mainly through emotional investment but they are also helping to fund it.

Trouble is, what would happen if owners or limited companies were punished - a huge fine might mean the entire club folds as a bitter owner liquidates rather than going into administration?

Some ways I see that this could change:

One, the FA, PL and EFL get serious about the fit and proper persons test. There has to be a five year plan with some guarantees - I.e. cash up front for at least two seasons - with future debt not secured against the club or it’s assets (e.g. players or buy-and-lease-back stadiums) - goodbye Glazers et al.

Two, move to the German model where any owner only has a 49% share in the club, with 51% owned by clubs. This would be symbolic of course as the 49% would be stumping up most of the money but they would no longer be able to treat the fans with utter contempt. They would be involved in decisions about change of ownership. Some owners don’t see a club, a community, they see prestige, kudos, and maybe some kind of tax benefit. This needs to stop. Fans cannot be the only ones who suffer when things go wrong. This is where points deduction works yet doesn’t work: it can take away the prestige from an owner but it also impacts fans - for off-field events.

Bonus Three, scrap FFP in it’s current form. Control, not cash injection but debt secured against the club.

Unpallatable Four. Franchise the PL and leave the rest of the proper football league to be run as a sport, not a business - and watch the leeches crawl back to their swaps.

Leftfield Five. Clubs can only be owned by local people - and not conglomerates. The Jack-was-right-and-everyone else-was-wrong model. Football Armageddon but with the new football hierarchy genuinely linked to their communities.

• Like 6

I have no love for the Pie munchers after the way their fans gloated in that final relegation game but by God I would be livid and kicking doors through if Venkys had done the same to us.The 'fit and proper' owner test is a travesty.

The fans are always left to pick up the pieces..as we may well yet have to painfully find out.

Edited by A Northern Horde...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

And yet the opposite is also true. If they get away with it, it would be a travesty. Hugely unfair on other clubs - especially Barnsley. The rules were known before the season started.

That said, despite having no sympathy for Wigan at this time, I agree with your sentiment. What I would prefer to see is that owners are held directly accountable and NOT clubs - which I firmly believe are “owned” by the fans - mainly through emotional investment but they are also helping to fund it.

Trouble is, what would happen if owners or limited companies were punished - a huge fine might mean the entire club folds as a bitter owner liquidates rather than going into administration?

One, the FA, PL and EFL get serious about the fit and proper persons test. There has to be a five year plan with some guarantees - I.e. cash up front for at least two seasons - with future debt not secured against the club or it’s assets (e.g. players or buy-and-lease-back stadiums) - goodbye Glazers et al.

Two, move to the German model where any owner only has a 49% share in the club, with 51% owned by clubs. This would be symbolic of course as the 49% would be stumping up most of the money but they would no longer be able to treat the fans with utter contempt. They would be involved in decisions about change of ownership. Some owners don’t see a club, a community, they see prestige, kudos, and maybe some kind of tax benefit. This needs to stop. Fans cannot be the only ones who suffer when things go wrong. This is where points deduction works yet doesn’t work: it can take away the prestige from an owner but it also impacts fans - for off-field events.

Bonus Three, scrap FFP in it’s current form. Control, not cash injection but debt secured against the club.

Unpallatable Four. Franchise the PL and leave the rest of the proper football league to be run as a sport, not a business - and watch the leeches crawl back to their swaps.

Leftfield Five. Clubs can only be owned by local people - and not conglomerates. The Jack-was-right-and-everyone else-was-wrong model. Football Armageddon but with the new football hierarchy genuinely linked to their communities.

I can't really see the sort of people who are expected to put up the money to finance a club settling for 49% of the club. They are going to want to have control. That would obviously be true of the sort of people whose money has built Chelsea and Manchester City into football powerhouses but also would have been true of Jack Walker.

• Like 1

I've certainly got some sympathy for the fans and plenty for Dave Whelan, but that **** of a manager deserves everything thats coming his way, the sack hopefully.

Edited by Gav

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've certainly got some sympathy for the fans and plenty for Dave Whelan, but that **** of a manager deserves everything thats coming his way, the sack hopefully.

Sadly, the only one who will come out of that situation well is Paul Cook.

He'll walk straight into another Championship job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

I have no love for the Pie munchers after the way their fans gloated in that final relegation game but by God I would be livid and kicking doors through if Venkys had done the same to us.The 'fit and proper' owner test is a travesty.

The fans are always left to pick up the pieces..as we may well yet have to painfully find out.

You must have Stockholm Syndrome.

The Venky's have destroyed this club. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Sadly, the only one who will come out of that situation well is Paul Cook.

He'll walk straight into another Championship job.

Cook will walk out on Wigan if he gets the right club to join. Not sure Birmingham City will be the right club for him. 

9 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Probably his boozing has pickled his brain. He’s banned from a pub in Portsmouth apparently got his John Thomas our and pissed on a table ?

Usual behaviour back in the early 80’s being an ex matelot???????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a mess Wigan are in. 

Just strong arm negotiation tactics from the administrators designed to deter the tyre kickers. Clubs for sale are magnets for time wasters.

Jensen Weir, Devine and McGurk will bring in a million over this week too pay the bills plus what ever happens to Kieffer Moore at 2 million. so unless they’ve uncovered some urgent nasties to pay it’s a bit of a bluff but they need selling by the 31st July to stop triggering insolvency defaults.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Just strong arm negotiation tactics from the administrators designed to deter the tyre kickers. Clubs for sale are magnets for time wasters.

Jensen Weir, Devine and McGurk will bring in a million over this week too pay the bills plus what ever happens to Kieffer Moore at 2 million. so unless they’ve uncovered some urgent nasties to pay it’s a bit of a bluff but they need selling by the 31st July to stop triggering insolvency defaults.

Getting that wage bill paid on time looks a problem. Seems like Wigan's budget needs massive slash. 

Can see Cook walking out shortly..

On 24/07/2020 at 20:06, Scotland1 said:

It’s one thing what annoys me is the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Southampton all have been in administration at least once all have shafted creditors and now all earn mega millions and have never paid there dues 

As is the way in many sectors.

All I know is that if I were even the window cleaner at an EFL club I’d want cleared funds before I even moistened my chamois. 

Football clubs are chronically insolvent...

15 hours ago, Stuart said:

Hence, option 4 please, with MASSIVE “solidarity payments” from this Super League.

The only thing that Wycombe Wanderers and Man Utd have in common is the rules. And I know whose side I’m on.

Salary cap.
Ticket price cap.
European Super League.

And a healthy, viable, English Football League for the first time in history.

No longer would REAL football, our shared cultural heritage, be affected by the whims of billionaires, oligarchs and despots.

It will happen some day.

Do it now.

• Like 5