BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle Away

Sounds good Preston

I'll look into it.

Might have about 8 other guys with me.

ALso, are u guys planning on staying the night in Newcastle?

Might make a night of it hopefully with a win to celebrate.

PB that website needs some work, it seems very out of date.

sorry, it is not my website, i'm just a member.

however I may take some photo's of the Blue Boys up at the Toon and offer them to update the photo page.

what the SLR need is a web ace such as cn174.....and she lives in the SLR area

sorry, it is not my website, i'm just a member.

however I may take some photo's of the Blue Boys up at the Toon and offer them to update the photo page.

what the SLR need is a web ace such as cn174.....and she lives in the SLR area

Moonfruit is so easy to use and design a much better page with. If you can get the log-in details id be happy to improve it for you if you like.

"SouthAussieRover" and "hard" aren't words that have been used in the same sentence for many years now. So I'm told :blink:

You've not been on MSN with him for a while then ?

Anyway on topic.. looks like were staying in Newcastle rather than getting a coach. Any good pubs ?

QUOTE (Ste B @ Sep 12 2008, 16:57 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've not been on MSN with him for a while then ?

Anyway on topic.. looks like were staying in Newcastle rather than getting a coach. Any good pubs ?

Myself and a few mates are also staying up in Newcastle.

Would love some suggestions on where to go after the game ( and before the game as well :D )

Possibly meet up with a few of you guys off the forum

Pubs in Newcastle...

It looks poor, but has a wonderful range of beer on, (at least it did 2 seasons ago)-The Head Of Steam, opposite the station is a good start. Click Here for more.

There is a magic pub near the castle, but I forget it's name-thought it was the Castle Inn but appears not. Overlooks the Tyne, near the old keep, great view of the river and the Tyne Bridge from the back.

Also, Iwould recommend the Crown Posada, city centre bottom of the Bigg Market. Beer is wondeful, good laugh and friendly last season despite Mattys late winner! Reviews here, location here.

If you cant find a good drink in these three, then you're a Methodist paraplegic.

Pubs in Newcastle...

It looks poor, but has a wonderful range of beer on, (at least it did 2 seasons ago)-The Head Of Steam, opposite the station is a good start. Click Here for more.

There is a magic pub near the castle, but I forget it's name-thought it was the Castle Inn but appears not. Overlooks the Tyne, near the old keep, great view of the river and the Tyne Bridge from the back.

Also, Iwould recommend the Crown Posada, city centre bottom of the Bigg Market. Beer is wondeful, good laugh and friendly last season despite Mattys late winner! Reviews here, location here.

If you cant find a good drink in these three, then you're a Methodist paraplegic.

Thanks for the great infomation Ozzie.

Im really lookng forward to this one away

those fine chaps from SLR (South Lancs Rovers) are sending a bus to Newcastle away

www.southlancsrovers.moonfruit.com/

starting from Standish, and calling at Chorley and Lancaster

please support

ta

PB

It's free to join SLR at the moment, so might I respectfully suggest that all those in the area join, and if you need transport from the areas mentioned you can't do better.

I think the pub Ozzie is referring to is the Bridge Hotel - head for the high level bridge and it's on the left - 5 mins from the station. Great views - full of oldies and they are a good crack - bit out of the way if your lazy though.

Either way the best area of the town is the cluster of bars around Central Station - it's come a long way in the last few years and seems to be the area of choice for a good knees up. The Bigg Market is crap unless your 17 and want a fight and prepared to drink flat beer (seriously, don't believe the hype). The quayside isn't what it used to be and is a bit overpriced and pretentious for what it is and the top end isn't too lively although if you're lazy you might want to stay around there as it's near the ground - you'll be missing out though.. There's a few decent bars around the station and they are all very close together - a 10 minute walk from St James will get you there. I've seen them change quite a bit over the ten years or so I've lived here but here's my take on them:

The pubs:

The Union Rooms (WeatherSpoons): Highly recommend starting here - Good atmosphere despite no music and good place to discuss the match. Very popular, about 4 different bars/rooms and CHEAP so a good place to get tanked up - massive range of drinks and as good a JD Weatherspoon as you will see. Defo the best place to start.

Head of Steam: Mentioned in previous post - good range of beers although last time I had anything on tap it was gruesome - couple of large bottles of Budvar will get you flowing nicely. <hic>

The Long Bar: Hit this fairly early as it gets crowded - not because it's massively busy, but because as the name suggests it's long and thin and getting to the bar is tricky later on. Might just want a quick pit stop in here as it's a pretty bog standard town bar. Now you're on a roll so time to move on

Revolution: **Might be arsey with football shirts** Russian Vodka bar. Good range of beer - if you fancy sharing a jug or two of Vodka and Whatever it might be worth a shot - be careful because it's easy to end up completely trollied in here if your not a disciplined drinker (I've learnt my lesson). You can also buy a test tube rack filled with 8 different shots of vodka - so you can sit down and play a little "Russian Roulette" - this is because one of the shots is a very potent Chilli Vodka so if you don't have a good stomach steer clear as your two bottles of budvar will be making a return visit (quickly) and quite probably using more than one exit. So if you don't want a arse like the Japanese flag on Sunday steer clear - you've been warned.

Shup up moov on..

To the left of the the station as you look at it from the other side of the road is a tunnel - go through it to get to my personal favourite...

The Telegraph: Although not quite as good as it was, for me this pub ticks all the boxes. Good beer, good mix of people, great jukebox, open air roof terrace. Not much else to say it's just one of those bars that makes you feel glad it's the weekend - just judge for yourself.

Back at the station - still a good number of bars to choose but here's my pick of "best of the rest"

Destination: Not my cup of tea but it's lively and plays popular music etc. Beer fine - your probably past caring now anyway.

Gotham Town: Go here after 10pm - you won't be disappointed. Good range of drinks but the DJ takes it from average to great. I'm biased but if you need a good old bop (and you can't dance properly (which will be likely by now)) this is the place for the likes of Rock n Roll Star, Down in the tube station, I am the Resurrection etc. - plus he'll put anything on you request as long as it rocks - usually straight away.

The Lounge: Open till late - not been in a while but if you don't fancy wandering around in a stupor looking for a club then this is right on the doorstep.

For those I haven't covered here's a link for everything you need to know about the station area, including a handy map:

http://www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk/CentralStation.html

Have fun - might see you out.

anyone going must have either good eyes or binoculars,its like watching a glasgow slapper in a mini skirt on the prom at blackpool from top of the bloody tower!!!!

I vowed never to again a few years back because of far away from the action you are.

anyone going must have either good eyes or binoculars,its like watching a glasgow slapper in a mini skirt on the prom at blackpool from top of the bloody tower!!!!

I vowed never to again a few years back because of far away from the action you are.

:lol: I'll take a radio this time

Archived