BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] He's Got A Long Name....

JPW

Following the Blythe experience and a couple of beers in the local tonight, the discussion of who actually has the longest name at Blackburn Rovers cropped up. Obviously, for those who were there, "Zurab Khizanishvili", has got a long name, 18 letters to be precise.

I quoted that "Morten Gamst Pederson" was the man for the job, 19 letters! Game over to me. But who has actually played for the Rovers' and has the longest name??? "Florent Sinama-Pongolle" was the best we could come up with before leaving the boozer, 21 letters, how much did that cost to put on your shirt???

Can anyone beat it?

Also, going on from there , who has been the tallest and shortest player to play for the Rovers'?

Shortest - Alan Wright, 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)??

Tallest - Christopher Samba 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)??

Cheers

Shortest must be Ronnie Hildersley,im sure he was just over 5 ft,he certainly looked that way.

Was going to say Johnny Price from the very early seventies, but I think he towered way above Ronnie at 5 foot 3 inches

One of my early Rovers memories. More about the little fella here: http://www.stockportcounty.com/page/PastPl...~527514,00.html

Died in '95, aged 51!

What a great thread! A wonderful diversion from the tawdry comings and goings of the transfer window. That Jonny Price link was fantastic :)

Anyway, my two-pennorth: David May :rover:

Shortest must be Ronnie Hildersley,im sure he was just over 5 ft,he certainly looked that way.

Ronnie was defintely the shortest player I've seen at Rovers. This is lifted directly from Wikipedia...

"Ronnie Hildersley (born 6 April 1965, Kirkcaldy) is a former professional footballer who played as a midfielder.

....Hildersley was an apprentice with Manchester City, who he made one Football League appearance for.... a loan spell with Chester City in the closing stages of the 1983–84 season he then joined the club permanently. He then played for Rochdale (1985-1986), Preston North End (1986-1988) and Cambridge United (1988, loan), before joining Division Two side, and Pride of Lancashire, the mighty Blackburn Rovers in July 1988.

Hildersley made 30 league appearances for the Ewood Park club before moving to Wigan Athletic two years later. Although only 2 foot 8 inches Hildersley is probably best remembered by Blackburn fans for his towering header at Welling United in the FA Cup in 1989 which earned Blackburn a 1-0 win. However, criminally, Rovers did not go on to win the cup that season which they undoubtedly deserved. Hildersley, under the pseudonym Verne Troyer, was last seen in Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother in January 2009. Hildersley finished 4th behind some annoying people and Ulrika Johnson who is still worth a do."

Ronnie was defintely the shortest player I've seen at Rovers. This is lifted directly from Wikipedia...

"Ronnie Hildersley (born 6 April 1965, Kirkcaldy) is a former professional footballer who played as a midfielder.

....Hildersley was an apprentice with Manchester City, who he made one Football League appearance for.... a loan spell with Chester City in the closing stages of the 1983–84 season he then joined the club permanently. He then played for Rochdale (1985-1986), Preston North End (1986-1988) and Cambridge United (1988, loan), before joining Division Two side, and Pride of Lancashire, the mighty Blackburn Rovers in July 1988.

Hildersley made 30 league appearances for the Ewood Park club before moving to Wigan Athletic two years later. Although only 2 foot 8 inches Hildersley is probably best remembered by Blackburn fans for his towering header at Welling United in the FA Cup in 1989 which earned Blackburn a 1-0 win. However, criminally, Rovers did not go on to win the cup that season which they undoubtedly deserved. Hildersley, under the pseudonym Verne Troyer, was last seen in Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother in January 2009. Hildersley finished 4th behind some annoying people and Ulrika Johnson who is still worth a do."

:lol:

Johnny Price was a bit before my time but I got the impression he was an Ewood favourite. My old man only ever referred to him as "Little" Johnny Price. A bit like Burnley nil.

:lol:

Johnny Price was a bit before my time but I got the impression he was an Ewood favourite. My old man only ever referred to him as "Little" Johnny Price. A bit like Burnley nil.

Johnny Price would have been average height.......... if only his legs had been longer than 18 inches.

Stig Inge Bjornebye

Not only does he have a long name (17 letters) but he could pick out row Z with unerring skill.

Marc Sebastian Pelzer (19 letters) - another left back but we didn't see much of him because he was a Souey Crappy. Come to think about it, just about every Souey Germanic tipple failed miserably - Sergio Peter, David Yelldell, Nisse (signed from Nurnberg), Pelzer.

A chant today:

He's got a long name, he's got a long naaaaaaaaaaaame, Zurab Khizanishvili, he's got a long naaaaaaame

In the tune of That Boy Ronaldo.

I prefered the Mokoena song. (To the song of "The animals went in two by two, hurrah! hurrah!" nursery rhyme)

Na Na Na Na Na na

Na na na na

na na (The whole thing Repeated about 3 times)

Mokoena's gonna break your leg.

Or the chant of "Your grounds to big for you".

Archived