Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second midfielder - shoot-out.

den

Who should go into our team of "greats"  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who should go into our team of "greats"

• Jimmy Forrest
    • Tim Sherwood

Hence, even though some people still say that they can only vote for players they have seen, this has proved to me, that this was the right way to go and also that the vast majority of members are well prepared to take everything into account before voting.

Well done people. smile.gif

Agree with you to some extent but history can always be distorted.

Plus football was totally different in those days but that's another debate.

Hence my decision to go with Sherwood as opposed to some historical figure.

BTW I have taken into account everything and Ive chosen to diasagree with it.

Is that okay?

I wasn't really having a go at anyone S.A.R. nor do I have any problem with anyone voting for any player.

I was simply trying to point out the two different ways we could have gone about this team selection. smile.gif

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This idea that you can only make a decision based on players you've seen play is an interesting one.

Sherwood was a good player in a good team and for a time he ran the show very effectively and was a pleasure to watch.

But when the team fell apart he wasn't good enough - either as a footballer or as a leader - to keep it together and his own game disintegrated along with the rest.

Because I saw the entirety of Tim's Ewood career is the very reason I would not vote him an all-time great Rover.

The legend of Forrest, on the other hand, and his achievements over a long and distinguished Rovers career, have been passed down by supporters over the generations.

We can read about his exploits now and we can see his sepia-tinted portrait in the history books, and I can imagine Jim saying to Tim, "Show us your medals, son!"

Every other position has shown a clear winner, it would be nice if we could finish up with a team of clear winners.

Den, why would it be nice???

Wouldn't it be even better to have a number of players that we were simply unable to seperate?

Don't you think having 2 clear winners shows that maybe we haven't had that many "greats"?

I would rather have 8 different players all challenging for the mantle of 'Rovers Greatest ...'.

At least this really would show the sort of talent we have had at Ewood and should be priveleged (as Rovers fans) to be associated with.

tinykit.gif

Surely if you can't feel able to judge a player who you never saw play you also can't judge him in comparison to one you did?

By the logic for only voting for what you've seen, that makes Richard Brown a better player than Crompton, George Doner better than Douglas, Ashley Ward better than Tommy Briggs and Darren Peacock better than Matt Woods.

Every other position has shown a clear winner, it would be nice if we could finish up with a team of clear winners.

Den, why would it be nice???

Wouldn't it be even better to have a number of players that we were simply unable to seperate?

Don't you think having 2 clear winners shows that maybe we haven't had that many "greats"?

I would rather have 8 different players all challenging for the mantle of 'Rovers Greatest ...'.

At least this really would show the sort of talent we have had at Ewood and should be priveleged (as Rovers fans) to be associated with.

tinykit.gif

That's only my personal opinion. If we'd have taken that last result, where Forrest beat Sherwood by the single vote, it could have been argued forever, and with some justification, that another hour of voting could have overturned that result.

It's getting close again !!

Den, maybe this straight head to head knockout should be best of 3 rounds ?

laugh.gif  wink.gif

It's all about timing tris. [like when to close the poll].

BTW, I've just realised, we should have had the two of them in the side. There can't be another team with

Sherwood Forrest

in their midfield!

It's getting close again !!

Den, maybe this straight head to head knockout should be best of 3 rounds ?

laugh.gif  wink.gif

It's all about timing tris. [like when to close the poll].

BTW, I've just realised, we should have had the two of them in the side. There can't be another team with

Sherwood Forrest

in their midfield!

Well done Den. Thats a joke that as soon as its read everyone will say - why didnt I think of that.

Good Gag thumbs-up.gif

When I think of 'vintage' football I can't help but think of that Harry Enfield sketch...

It has to be Sherwood, because he won the biggest domestic trophy in an era of fierce, professional competition; when it actually meant something. And he probably didn't have a couple of pints of mild and smoke a pipe at half time. Or during the match.

Maybe the vote should be closed when we reach the same number of votes as we got in the first vote, ie 180?

There's no guarantee that we'll get that many, and who's going to hang around here waiting for the magic 180, so they can close the poll?

There will have to be a deadline put on it some where along the way - let's see how it goes.

Sherwood played and captained the greatest Rovers team of modern times, as well as IMO being arguable Rovers most vital player during that season.

Surely thats enough.

You would think so.

But then again he didn't play in a wee willie winkie hat so he may not get the nod.