BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left wing

den

I must admit that Jim's depreciation of everyone else's posts are a little disappointing.

Giving his massive knowledge of Rovers' history I thought that there would be at least one or two plugs for players who he has knowledge of, but younger posters don't know.

But that's his choice. Maybe he'll zap in here with something brilliant for the two remaining players. I know I'm going to do something for one who probably hasn't a hope in hell of winning, because WE ALL BLOOMING WELL KNOW WHO THE TWO WINNERS OF THE BEST TWO FORWARDS ARE, DON'T WE?

But I'll enjoy doing it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching duff at brockhall when he was in the youth set up at rovers. from then i knew he would have been big because of the talent he had. it didn't surprise me to see him climb the ladder to the first team and established a place within the first team. duff is and will always be my favourite player of all time, he was so exciting to watch as a winger, taking on defenders with his pace and he did score some vital goals for us. I cant fault his attitiude to the club, i just wished that we could have had him a little bit longer.

Damien Duff first signed professional forms for Rovers on March 5th 1996 at the age of 17. It was a momentous day for the club.

He was scouted by Pat Devlin, manager of Bray Wanderers and still Duff's agent to this day. Devlin was a friend of Kenny Dalglish and alerted Kenny to the talent he'd unearthed in Ireland. Rovers weren't the only club he told though. Rumour has it that Huddersfield came very close to poaching Damien - thankfully though he chose the Rovers.

Duff made his Rovers senior debut in the last home game of 1996-97 season. However, it wasn't until the season after that he established himself in the side ahead of Jason Wilcox. A crowd favourite straight away, he won over the fans with his skill and touch, as well as a running style best described as "unusual", not to mention the appearence of someone who was permanently knackered. He just looked funny, not remotely like a footballer was supposed to look, but give him the ball and he could be superb.

Superb but inconsistent. Duff had a habit of drifting in and out of games in the early stages of his career, and probably suffered more than most during the frequent managerial upheavals at the time. In fact it was rumoured that Hodgson didn't rate Duff and was willing to sell him - thankfully Hodgson left first.

Duff was relegated along with the rest of the squad in 1999 and remained inconsistent during the clubs first season in Division 1. However, his form was still good enough to earn him his first cap as a substitute for Ireland. He went on to make two more appearences for his country that season.

It wasn't until the arrival of Graeme Souness in early 2000 that Duff started to consistently produce the form that we all knew he was capable of. Although he only scored one league goal during our promotion season it was a vital one - securing victory away against promotion rivals Birmingham. His all-round game though was excellent that season. He terrorised First Division right-backs and linked up superbly with the likes of Jansen, Dunn, Bent and Berkovic.

Our first season back in the Premiership was largely a struggle for the team, but Duff continued to shine. He chipped in with 7 goals, many of them vital, and was instrumental in our 2002 Worthington Cup winning team. It remains the only major honour of his career so far (although I suspect it won't be for long).

That summer saw Damien Duff graduate to world class. He was arguably the star of the 2002 World Cup, helping Ireland into the knock-out stages with a series of man-of-the-match performances. He even managed a goal in the 3-0 group win over Saudi Arabia. Speculation was rife in the media throughout the summer that Duff would leave for one of the "big boys". However, he defied everyone by signing a new 2 year contract at Blackburn and stating his love for the club.

Duff was now unstoppable. He won a place in UEFA's team of the year and inspired the team to new heights during the next season, scoring 13 goals and setting up many, many more. In fact, the only thing that could stop him was a niggling hamstring injury that restricted him to only 26 appearences that season. However, it was no coincidence that Rovers put a fantastic run together during the second half of the season when Duff returned from injury. The run took us up to 6th place and a UEFA cup spot.

Again, media speculation was rife during the summer about Duff leaving. Just as we all thought he might defy the critics again and stay, Chelsea came in with a huge bid and, after a protracted negotiation involving a lot of soul-searching on Duff's part, he left for the bright lights of London.

I've been watching the Rovers for more than 25 years and Duff is easily my favourite player throughout that time. His skill, vision, touch and passing ability made him a fantastic player to watch - a real entertainer. I loved the way he looked shattered one minute then electrifying the next.

He seemed such an uncomplicated character off the pitch as well. We used to laugh as we passed his old battered Fiesta in the car-park before home games - alongside all the BMW's, 4x4's and Jag's of the other players. He lists one of his favourite hobbies as sleeping and spent most of his time at Blackburn living in Hurst Green out in the sticks. No boozy nights out with Page 3 girls for Damien.

I'm still sad that he left yet I still enjoy watching play for Chelsea. For example, I watched him tonight in the Carling Cup against Fulham and he was superb - scoring one and troubling Fulham throughout. Unfortunately, in a few years history will probably show that Duff was at his most successful whilst playing for Chelsea. However, I'll never forget what he did at Rovers. The boy's a genius.

Career

1996-97: Rovers 1 game, 0 goals

1997-98: Rovers 26 games, 4 goals

1998-99: Rovers 28 games, 1 goal

1999-00: Rovers 39 games, 5 goals; Ireland 3 appearences, 0 goals

2000-01: Rovers 32 games, 1 goal; Ireland 6 appearences, 0 goals

2001-02: Rovers 32 games, 7 goals; Ireland 10 appearences, 2 goals

2002-03: Rovers 26 games, 9 goals; Ireland 5 appearences, 2 goals

Great stuff. I was always going to vote for Duffer anyway, but that was a great piece.

So Bobby was fast, a good dribbler, a good crosser, liked to get into the penalty area and score goals, had a rocket shot and took the penalties. Also he got capped for England in the heyday of Matthews and Finney.

All good stuff Bazza - I liked Langton too - but you're wasting your time.

The youngsters aren't interested in players pre-1980.

I'm disappointed that Mike Harrison has not got a single vote so far.

well maybe if Duffer was over 100 years old and wore a flat cap, then you might vote for him. ay jim?

I think a bit of sense of proportion is needed here.

Harrison and Langton were before my time (as were the days of Clayton and Douglas at their peak). I heard of them and good things were said but nothing to match the awed reverence towards Eckersley, Clayton and Douglas or Bob Crompton and Syd Puddefoot (for the 1928 Cup Final) from an earlier era.

I can remember the pensioners talking about Forrest when I was a child in the early 60's and how that Johnny Forbes was a bit sharp.

Yes Harrison and Langton were very good, I guess in the same way that Willcox was very good. My favourite memory of Jason was a Sheffield Wednesday defender literally left wondering where Handbag and the ball were (they were both behind him bearing downon the young Kevin Pressman) in a vital 1-0 wiin at Hillsborough in the Championship season. For all Willcox not looking like an athlete, he was a phenomenal product of the Rovers' youth system, very reliable t converting chances and a tremendous supplier of damaging passes and crosses. Suffice to say,had Willcox in his prime been playing left wing yesterday, we would have beaten Spurs.

Waggy was utterly exceptional and it was a privilege to see him ply his trade at Ewood. I have never seen passes hit with so much back spin. A 40 yard driven trajectory into the space behind the full bcks and the ball would stop within a few yards of where it first landed.

Both Brotherston and Sellers were huge favourites.

Noel brought a touch of glamour to the grimmest period in Rovers' proud history. What fun it was waiting for his substitute appearances in the 1980 World Cup finals in Spain. So many marvelous moments- the goal against Luton at a frozen Ewood in front of the Match of the Day cameras and the destruction of Pompey when a 0-2 half time score turned into a 4-2 rout at Fratton.

Scott Sellers was a man for whom the adjective silky was invented. My favourite memory was taking some Swedes and Dutch friends to Ewood Park and them being left stunned that such a player could be operating in the English second division.

Which brings us to Duffer who undoubtedly had the beating of all of them. My only reservations are that he was with us for so little time and that Blackburn Rovers' all time greatest left winger is only the second best left winger in the current Chelsea squad.

I voted for Noel.

Duff may be a better player, but a 'greatest player' for me is someone who gave me real enjoyment, and I remember as a kid that Noel actually made me want to watch football (at Ewood, but footie in general). He may have beem in a relatively mediocre, but he created a buzz at school when we talked about the Rovers.

I met him once - after a hard day on the decorating job (his post football career) he came in the pub in Revidge where I was working. A real gent, no airs and graces at all.

RIP Noel, you were bloody good!

We have eight quite wonderful left wingers in the poll and I haven't voted yet.

It's time to vote.

Here is a message to all the spotty faced ones. You know how us old geezers keep harping on about Clayton, Douglas, Eckersley etc.??

Well..........You've seen a player in your lifetime who (IMO) is as good as (not better than, but as good as) Bryan Douglas.

Yes, Duffer is as twinkle-toed as the great Duggie.

It is a pity that circumstances have dictated that he could not spend more of his career with the Rovers.

Because of his quality I have to vote for him. He is truly the best left winger (note the old fashioned position name) that I have ever seen play for Rovers.

The youngsters aren't interested in players pre-1980.

I'm disappointed that Mike Harrison has not got a single vote so far.

Good player Harrison. My schoolboy hero cos I played left wing for the school in those days. He had tree-trunk thighs, a shot like a cannon, was seriously quick and a superb penalty taker. He represented England briefly at U21 (or U 23 not sure which).

But he was not fit to lace Damien Duffs boots by a country mile........and you jolly well know it Jim. withstupid.gif

just a tad too strong there, theno.

I went to the return game at WHL following that famous 7-2 result at Ewood.

The Rovers lost 4-1 (if my memory serves me corect) Our goal by Harrison, straight through the "onion bag". Yeah, it broke the net.

As for him not being fit to laces Duff's boots, way way out of order. In many ways, he was more of a "Rovers" player than Duff ever was. The way he fitted into the team was, perhaps, more significant for the team at that time, than was Duffs, during his term at Ewood.

'Broth-ade' despite getting to the world cup finals with NI, and being a treat to watch, was sadly untested with us at the top flight. Wilcox was a key figure in our title run, but have gone for Duff as the best all rounder who single-handedly could really turn a match.

just a tad too strong there, theno.

I went to the return game at WHL following that famous 7-2 result at Ewood.

The Rovers lost 4-1 (if my memory serves me corect) Our goal by Harrison, straight through the "onion bag". Yeah, it broke the net.

As for him not being fit to laces Duff's boots, way way out of order. In many ways, he was more of a "Rovers" player than Duff ever was. The way he fitted into the team was, perhaps, more significant for the team at that time, than was Duffs, during his term at Ewood.

I told you he was my boyhood hero Dave....... I loved the guy but I still stand by what I said.

A place in the UEFA team of the year for Mike Harrison? Record transfer deal? Hardly.

Has to be Duff.

Wilcox was one dimensional in my opinion and couldn't beat a man. He was also lucky to play in a team where the centre forward made a ball slung into the box look like a world class centre.

There are no players around like Wilcox now basically because the style of play that best suited him is outdated whereas Duff can fit into any style as he is proving with Chelsea.

just like Shearer and Garner for the front two have no competition

absolute dribble!

I think we all know that that last two spots were probably the easiest ones to predict.

We are voting for legends here. Not best players. It may well be that the best players will also become our legends, but it doesn't necessarily follow. Simon Garner is an absolute shoe in for a legend spot, but what did he actually win whilst at the club?

In years to come, Damien Duff will still be a hallowed name around the corridors of Ewood. He was majestic, and as a few others have said, worth the entrance fee alone.

Sellars, Brotherstone, even Wilcox will all be remembered fondly, but Duff is the one that we will rave about. To me, that makes him a legend. He may not be our most successful player, but if go on medals alone, then there will be nobody in the team that didn't see national service in the Crimean War!

Of all the players on the list, the one that I would like to see playing today in a Rovers shirt is Duffer. And thats not just because the others have all retired.

The trickiest choice I've had so far as Brotherston was my favourite player when I started supporting Rovers as a nipper, followed by Sellars and then Wilcox of course had a key role in the Championship season. However, as someone said earlier, Duff was the best player in the world at his position at the end of his Blackburn career and that's clinched it for me.

rover.gif is this the most one sided vote there has been,it is like a whitewash,i voted for waggy out off sympathy for a great player who has got the total off 4 votes who derserves more but the memory off duff is too great.when i walked on the ground saturday i was watching the scores on tv,and remarked to the guy next to me that i watched chelski earlier in the day,he said how did duff play,mentioned to my dad that i watched the game,same question tinykit.gif

rover.gif is this the most one sided vote there has been,it is like a whitewash,i voted for waggy out off sympathy for a great player who has got the total off 4 votes who derserves more but the memory off duff is too great.when i walked on the ground saturday i was watching the scores on tv,and remarked to the guy next to me that i watched chelski earlier in the day,he said how did duff play,mentioned to my dad that i watched the game,same question tinykit.gif

Yes Waggy, without wading back through all the votes again, this is by far the most overwhelming victory.

Whether that's because of the quality of Duff and/or the quality of the opposition, you've got to work out for yourself.

BTW chaps - shall we plough through Christmas and new year with this poll, or take a break and come back in January with the striker and best ever player polls?

What does anyone think. I'm leaning towards a mid winter break. smile.gif

BTW chaps - shall we plough through Christmas and new year with this poll, or take a break and come back in January with the striker and best ever player polls?

I think this one should be finished now and go for a break.

I reckon Duffers just about squeezed over the finish line here, although it was a close one.

Edited by Biddy

Keep it going Den, we've done 9 out of the 11 and the final 2 are a formality anyway.

It'll be just like coitus reservatus otherwise.

Anyway, my panegyric to Ashley Ward is burning a hole on my C drive.

(spell check that!)