• Roy Vernon
    • Simon Garner
    • Andy McEvoy
    • John Byrom
    • Mike Newell
    • Duncan McKenzie
    • Chris Sutton
    • Kevin Gallacher

Andy Cole wasn't better. Jansen's goal were what got us back in the premiership, helped us stay up, and helped us win the worthington cup. If he has a special place in certain people's hearts then that is fine by me. I think you are all being so silly quite frankly, to think that your little spiels about a players career will ever match the joy and passion that comes from supporting the team when the player is playing and watch him out there scoring goals and bringing you the victories that we all want so badly. Stop being so damned closed minded. You think I am? I'm the one who thinks people should vote for whoever they want, you are the ones who keep saying that if it isn't the one you voted for, then obviously people aren't doing it correctly.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying he didn't contribute, I even say there that I understand why someone might think of him as being suitable for that role, especially when you take into consideration the fact that he is the second highest goal scorer in premiership history. Now is this a vote on best ever player, as in most talented to wear the shirt, or best player to ever wear the shirt based on his performance while he was a rover? If it is simply best ever, then certainly Cole becomes an excellent candidate.

My point basically is, that every player up there at one point or another did something that the fans loved, and he was a great player for the club. Now if you happen to have a special liking for him and hold him dear to your heart then it would make sense that you would vote for him, even going as far as to disregard scoring statistics and the like. I'm not saying one is right and the other isn't, in fact I'm trying to fight against people who obviously think that way.

Argue the case for whoever you want, if you don't convert then oh well, but don't be critical of those who for whatever reason like a certain player and think he was a great.

His partnership with Sutton was perhaps not the most prolific, but at least when the two of them were up front you knew there'd be chances and some level of excitement. In fact Gallacher's talent was perhaps more in laying on chances for others than it was taking them. He remains affectionately remembered wherever he played in football, from Dundee to Coventry, Blackburn to Newcastle. Gallacher was a great little player and, for me, rated above Sutton (although I may well be alone in that!)

Actually in the 1996/7 season the Sutton/Gallacher strike partnership was the highest scoring in the Premiership

I can't believe how far down the order Chris Sutton is. He was in the chapionship winning side, a part of the most feared strike partnership in Britain.

Three years later he was a member of the highest scoring partnership in the Premiership.

His transfer to Blackburn was instrumental in us winning the league, he combined well with Shearer and was unfortunate to only get one cap for England.

As far as Rovers' second greatest striker of all time goes, it's just so hard to look beyond Garner because of his contribution to the club during his 14 years service at Ewood.

And the fact he's our all-time top scorer and became a blue 'n' white through and through.

I believe the only players who could hold a candle to his legacy would have to be from the distant past. Players such as Southworth whose goals contributed to us winning major trophies.

In this analysis Sutton should also be considered. However, someone must have been been banging them in in 1912 and 1914 when we won the 1st Division, but they aren't in the list (I don't think).

The likes of Gallagher and Jansen and Cole just haven't left a deep enough impression on the club to warrant the term 'great'.

His partnership with Sutton was perhaps not the most prolific, but at least when the two of them were up front you knew there'd be chances and some level of excitement. In fact Gallacher's talent was perhaps more in laying on chances for others than it was taking them. He remains affectionately remembered wherever he played in football, from Dundee to Coventry, Blackburn to Newcastle. Gallacher was a great little player and, for me, rated above Sutton (although I may well be alone in that!)

Actually in the 1996/7 season the Sutton/Gallacher strike partnership was the highest scoring in the Premiership

I just wanna tell ya - that wasn't my post. wink.gif

It might be considered a wasted vote but I can't allow a player as brilliant as Roy Vernon to have no votes. That is where my vote is going.

He was as good as Dennis Law and had a similar style.

Also another pint and fags with the lads guy.

Who says I voted for him? haha

All I was saying was I could understand why people might. By the way, don't put people up on a list as possible votes and then vilify the person who does.

Nobody said you voted for Jansen (and it is recorded that you didn't). wink.gif You provided reasons to vote for him and I pointed to your post. No insinuations were implied.

It might be considered a wasted vote but I can't allow a player as brilliant as Roy Vernon to have no votes. That is where my vote is going.

He was as good as Dennis Law and had a similar style.

Also another pint and fags with the lads guy.

Thanks very much for that al

My old man reads this board through my pc and upon seeing this thread decided that he would have to join up to give Mr Vernon his vote.

Saved me a job there, thanks

BTW mine went to Briggs.

I wasn't going to vote to this because the whole things flawed but here goes.

It has to be Garner for me because he was my generation and era and for all the reasons stated in Cheshire Blue's comments on the first page and this despite the fact he was not the greatest striker in the list.

However, can somebody please vote for McEvoy - for the same reasons as Roy Vernon above - McEvoy's record is quite outstanding and deserves recognition, Jansen doesn't even come close to McEvoy in my view.

In conclusion I would be happy with any one of Garner, Vernon, Briggs, McEvoy and, maybe, Sutton.

It has to be Garner for me ... despite the fact he was not the greatest striker in the list.

I don't understand this.

You don't have to be one of Rovers' greatest ever players to make the greatest ever Rovers XI?

Puzzling. wacko.gif

Edit: Mind you, you did say the whole thing's flawed, so fair enough ...

Edited by Bryan

I wasn't going to vote to this because the whole things flawed but here goes.

Well, it's always been for a bit of fun and to get on record the memories of lots of the fans on this site.

So to say the whole thing's flawed - that's putting things a bit harshly.

Given the opportunity my vote would have gone to a player who topped the goalscorers list for four consecutive seasons - 3 of them in the top division - scoring 104 in total for Rovers. My memory of him is as a hard working inside forward rifling in some lethal shots. He would be excellent alongside Shearer. Who am I talking about? Peter Dobing. He played more games for the Rovers than Alan Shearer. His goals / game average was better than Andy McEvoy’s. Simon Garner scored more goals but none of them in the top flight.

I was sorry to hear Andy McEvoy had died. He was a skilful goal taker, but not a goal maker. He was often the only player to walk off the pitch after 90 mins without any mud on his shorts.

I wasn't going to vote to this because the whole things flawed

After several months of voting, on the 11th of 11 positions to be filled and the player you want to win this vote already a clear winner ....

you come out with a line like that?!

Could you kindly provide us with the blueprint for a version of this exercise - which has both entertained and educated at least 3 generations of Rovers fans - which is NOT flawed according to ianb??

Then perhaps set up your own site to run the vote. You'd be the only one voting so you'd end up happy.

The only way in which this vote is flawed, despite Den's admirable efforts, is closed minded youngsters who vote their favourite recent player without even considering the rest of the field, just like when Cantona was voted as clear winner for MAN UTD's best ever player.

18 voted for Jansen? Come on!

And before anybody says anything, I'm not one of the "old giffers," - I'm 19.

Edited by tcj_jones

The only way in which this vote is flawed, despite Den's admirable efforts, is closed minded youngsters who vote their favourite recent player without even considering the rest of the field, just like when Cantona was voted as clear winner for MAN UTD's best ever player.

18 voted for Jansen? Come on!

And before anybody says anything, I'm not one of the "old giffers," - I'm 19.

It would be flawed if Garner was in.

Scored goals in divisions 2 and 3, Rovers second best ever striker?

I'm 18, never saw most of the players play, so how and why could I vote for them?

Let everyone vote for who they want and people stop whinging about it, it's pathetic, it's supposed to be a bit of fun.

Edited by shillito15

After logically thinking Chris Sutton...wanting to vote for Tony Field,knowing it was probably Southworth,wishing it had been Fred Pickering I voted blind SIMON GARNER!!

And then found out that 50%...old and young...had voted with their hearts.

A week before the trip to Yorkshire I am not surprised. Get the plane ready

with the message!