BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers On Talk Sport

Have to admit to being a TalkSport addict. Brazil and Beeky on my way to work; Hawksbee and Jacobs on the way home. My only gripe with the station is that they put that idiot James Whale on after 10 in the evening so if I'm driving home from a night out or somewhere exotic like Teesside or Nottingham I can't listen to the radio. Quite often disagree with the rubbish presenters like Adrian Durham and Mike Parry spout but at least it keeps you awake on a long journey even if it's only because you're shouting abuse at the drivel.

Doesnt Mike Parry do the commentary on Prem plus games? Because if so I have never HEARD a more inane commentator! I could get paid what he does to be as bad as he is. :wstu:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, there's a difference in going in rough on a player (like Cissè in the above example) and deliberately trying to seriously hurt people. (Keane on Haaland)

Did he say Neill tried to 'seriously' hurt players, if being rough is ok and hurting isn't?

Neill is one of many players in the Premier League who sometimes takes it upon himself to dish out appropriate punishment on dirty players, divers, and people who can skin him. Funny how when of our lads does it, it's only "rough".

And no, he has never done anything like Keane on Haaland - a completely deplorable act of violence.

Did he say Neill tried to 'seriously' hurt players, if being rough is ok and hurting isn't?

Neill is one of many players in the Premier League who sometimes takes it upon himself to dish out appropriate punishment on dirty players, divers, and people who can skin him. Funny how when of our lads does it, it's only "rough".

And no, he has never done anything like Keane on Haaland - a completely deplorable act of violence.

my main point is--- why single lucas neill out ? also, how can you prove intent ? (without an admission).

Edited by pleasure

my main point is--- why single lucas neill out ? also, how can you prove intent ? (without an admission).

It isn't fair, you're right. But he's up there with a few of the 'nastier' players in the Prem. Players like Pogatetz and Michael Brown. I don't think he's inherantly dirty, but I do think he has a mean streak and every so often goes in with little or no attempt to actually win the ball - more to leave his mark.

If you don't think there was intent to hurt Cisse in that particular game (to return to my example) then we weren't even in the same country. But no, I don't have a confession on tape recorder!

Wouldn't say the shoe fits, it's not how I see myself as a footballfan anyway. The tackle on Cissè from behind wasn't pretty, and I admit that I thought "that was a bit over-the-top" when it happened. It's always been like this though, like you say there's a lot of EPL players who dish out punishments. I don't think Lucas was thinking "I'll end his career with a broken foot" when he lunged in, but who knows.. I just know, from my own experience, some players are annoying and makes you want to strengthen the challenge. (if that's a footballing term.. :ph34r: )

I have absolutely no doubt that Lucas Neill has intentionally hurt opposition players. The first example that springs to mind is Cisse in the infamous "Fowler offside" game last season. There was one tackle where there was absolutely no doubt Neill was going to miss the ball in order to appease a crowd who were beginning to boo Cisse massively.

That said, he is far from the only one. No angel though, and there is no doubt in my mind that on occasion he hasn't had a problem with hurting other players.

In my book Neill is a hard player rather than a dirty player. And there's a world of difference in the two.

In my book Neill is a hard player rather than a dirty player. And there's a world of difference in the two.

There's only one word for a player that consistantly goes into the tackle with both feet and it isn't hard.

There again I'd rather he played for us than against us.

I`d go even further & say Neill isn`t hard or dirty....more rather a clumsy player at times.

So that's "rather clumsy", "rough" and "hard". The little tinker.

95% of Lucas Neill's tackles are either perfect or unfortunately mistimed. In my opinion, there are another 5% which have a simple intention of making his mark. For good reason or otherwise.

i know!

As stated above, he is Sherwoods cousin but has repeatedly said even when we were pushing for the championship we couldnt fill the ground, and questions if we should be in the premiership.

I have been listening for talk sport for years, but can't listen to that chump. :(

This same fella the other day stated that pompey fans were arguably the best in the league, then low and behold they can't muster a full house when sitting high and mighty at the top of the premiership.

Brazils breakfast show is the best on the radio- superb listening most of the time.

the issue i have with talksport is Patrick Kinghorn- he has a go at Rovers any chance he gets!

He says things such as "Blackburn isnt a football town". Now i simply turn over whenever that idiot is on.

If my memory serves me correctly Kinghorn first appeared briefly on Talksport as a spokesman for one of the internet betting firms (Blue Square?) and to be fair, he was very impressive in that capacity.

He must have impressed sufficiently to earn a presenting slot. But I agree with everyone else. He's a very poor presenter. Mike Parry and Adrian Durham can just about get away with adopting an outrageously daft point of view in order to encourage a lively response. Kinghorn can't, he comes across as much too intense and seemingly takes himself far too seriously.

Not keen on Graham Beecroft on Brazil's show either. Sounds like he's been to the Alan Partridge school of presenting. Brazil and Mike Parry were very good together.

My favourites are Hawksbee and Jacobs. I find them absolutely hilarious. Yet if one of them is off and someone else stands in with the other it just doesn't work at all.

Well done to the 2 Rovers callers last night on Talkport`s UEFA phone-in.The presenters were calling for Rovers fans to tell the nation about the game.Plenty of e-mails saying that Rovers never get a mention but the presenters were saying that all night they had been praising the quality of Rovers play.On a personal note I dont think a Rovers team has played as well as that for a very long time and the game will live long in the memory of the crowd who saw it.

Andy Townsend has just been remarking that Rovers are yet again going quietly about their business and Mike Parry actually said what a good manager Mark Hughes is. Mind you the Everton biased idiot had to mention them as well even though it was nothing to do with them.

You know, I've not listened to Talksport in my life. The last time I tuned in was when Baker and Kelly had their show when it was Talk Radio. I get the feeling that there are a load of self important tabliod numpties who still tow the 'dirty Blackbburn' line after that FA Cup semi final.

However, this is my favourite sports show on the radio.

Try Hawksbee and Jacobs between one and four. andy Jacobs is a Chelsea supporter but takes the mickey out of them and Paul Hawksbee is even forgiven for being a Spurs fan because together they make me laugh. Agree with you about fighting talk though - quality radio

I listen to Talksport all the time. Hawksbee and Jacobs show in the afternoons is quite entertaining, whereas Mike parry can annoy intensley. I also agree with Billy Castell to a point when he says "I get the feeling that there are a load of self important tabliod numpties who still tow the 'dirty Blackbburn' line after that FA Cup semi final."

I gave Talk Sport one last chance tonight during the 5 hour motorway trek back from Blackburn.

When I tuned in, George Galloway was presenting, reading out emails from listeners who think he's God's answer to politics.

That is the final straw.

Galloway is a massive nob, who would marry himself if he could. How anyone so vain, arrogant and 'one-eyed' can be able to be elected is amazing, and a damning indictment on the British public. He opposed the Iraq war not because it was not in the national interest, or that it was badly planned or that innocent people will get killed, but because his employer personal friend was going to be removed.

Giving Galloway airtime on a radio show will only encourage his view that he's 'the true leader of opinion', to the detriment of residents of his constituency.

agree with the comments about hawksbee and jacobs. it's a very entertaining listen.

hawkesbee is an experienced tv writer and had a guest spell on 'you're on sky sports' (inexplicably, they've employed harold bishop now!).

on galloway, i can see how he rubs some up the wrong way, but people cant dispute the fact that he's a fantastic orator.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to Talksport all the time. Hawksbee and Jacobs show in the afternoons is quite entertaining, whereas Mike parry can annoy intensley. I also agree with Billy Castell to a point when he says "I get the feeling that there are a load of self important tabliod numpties who still tow the 'dirty Blackbburn' line after that FA Cup semi final."

Is the Hawksbee and Jacobs show the one were they both try and guess the age of random celebrities.

Entertaining ?

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.