BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton 0 V Rovers 1

Shame Everton won at Villa as their confidence is probably now back after a pretty dodgy run of form. If Savage and Dickov are fit, I think we'll battle our way to a 1-1 draw, with Pedersen scoring a free-kick. If they're not, then I can see a 1-0 (No Dickov) or 2-0 (no Savage) to Everton. Either way, I expect a dreadful game for us spectators!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others, I can't see much further than a less-than-thrilling 0-0. draw, though if I have to be stretched, I might just suggest Nelson popping in his 1st Rovers goal from an MGP corner.

[strange offer time (why would you only need a lift one-way?). I'll be going to this one straight from work on Sunday, so I'll have an empty car if anyone needs a lift home to East Lancs after the match. PM me if interested.]

Perhaps someone could send the Everton website chap a copy of cn174 and his mate J's match preview as an example of how you can look forward to a match without resorting to childish insults and needlessly negative stereotyping.

Yet another fellow fan who thinks Rovers bought the title while, in his club's case, the class of '85 and '86 - Gray, Sharpe, Lineker, et al - were paid for in Smarties.

And you can spend £6m on Beattie and a few more besides, but it won't win Everton the title any season soon.

As we know from his Ewood days, Howard Kendall, just like Dalglish, was a very good manager. That's why they won titles.

Our team looks like it will be depleted for Sunday, with Dickov, Savage and Emerton struggling. While Bothroyd is definately out. At least Todd is back for this one. I can see us lining up with:

Friedal

Neill Todd Nelsen Johansson

Reid Flitcroft Tugay Pedersen

Stead Gallagher

Subs:Enckleman, Mokoena, Thompson, Johnson, Jansen

I was rather thinking of Mokoena in midfield. News on Radio Lancs said Thompson had 'fluid on the knee' which would explain his recent absence - great shame after all he has been through. I also heard a rumour that Jansen had an injury.

Everton 1 - 1 Rovers

Rovers have the stronger defence but Everton have an extra bit of youthful, energetic attacking quality in Osman, Cahill and Bent. Beattie is suspended though.

We outplayed them for 90 minutes at Ewood and made them look quite ordinary, even with Gravesen on the pitch. We just couldn't score. MGP will make sure its not a no-score for Rovers but they will score too I think.

Personally I would play Dickov on his own up front with MGP just behind. Emerton on the left wing as he's more dangerous there and Reid on the right as he has bags of energy. Stead to hopefully be recalled to the bench as he's the best of a bad bunch of strikers. Maybe Mokoena in midfield but I can't see Hughes dropping Tugay.

Friedel

Neill Todd© Nelsen Johansson

Reid Savage Tugay Emerton

Pedersen

Dickov

Subs: Enkelman, Mokoena, Stead, Flitcroft, Johnson

Providing Emerton, Savage and Dickov all make it I'd pick:

Friedel

Neill (much improved of late)

Nissa (Micky Gray what have you done?)

Nelsen (looks to be top quality)

Todd (another excellent defender)

Thommo (surely has to be better than Emerton at the moment)

Pedersen (can he ever do wrong again??)

Sav (really was missed in the second half against scum)

Tugs (has been another inconsistant season but can still have v.good days)

Stead (he really will come good but only if he is PLAYED!!)

Janny (him and Stead will score more than any others)

however probable:

Friedel

Neill

Nissa

Nelsen

Todd

Emerton (can anyone flatter to decieve anymore than him??)

Pedersen

Savage

Tugay

Dickov

Gallagher

also can we please have a decent bench against Burnley it was a joke, at home in the cup when it is obvious we will need to break 10 men down and Dickov is also playin when he shouldn't really due to his groin and we have:

Enckleman (fair enough)

Short (again can't argue)

Reid (can run all day but little ability, how about someone who can do something different like thommo!!)

Flitcroft (surely 1 mid is enough when Dickov could have got injured at any point)

Bothroyd (not play for ages since last injury and he is useless anyway, where are steady and janny???)

Edited by laughatthedingles

Tommo - fluid on the knee. Sadly sounds like curtains on his career. The injury for which he had last chance surgery was a wear/tear type for which fluid is a classic symptom. Jansen I suspect has also not recovered from cartilege surgery. Add on the absence of Bothroyd for remainder of season and the weekly battle to put Sav/Dickov on the field because of what sounds like hernias requiring surgery and Rovers have more than just an embryonic injury crisis. Lose the home games to Soton and Palace...relegation beckons.

I think Flitty was a good sub against Burnley, we needed a player like him when Savage got injured.. he's played in this derby before, and he's a battler. Was relieved to see him come on, was afraid we had to play the rest of the game with Tugay/Thompson.. but for next game - if Savage's fit - get Thommo back in on the bench. Plus, I want Stead alongside Dickov, I'm positive he'll create more than Gally, and we might also see a goal from him soon. I really have faith in the Stead/Dickov partnership. Obviously keep Matteo off the teamsheet, keep him off the bloody senior squad for all I care.

Painfully mediocre leftback defensively, painfully awful distribution offensively.

Then there's the right wing spot, I would prefer to see Reid replace Emerton (bench!) for next match. Emerton has showed poor form recently, and Reidy is a solid player. A natural choice if Thommo's injured..

This would mean this team:

Friedel-

Neill, Nelsen, Todd, Johansson-

Reid, Savage, Tugay, Gamst Pedersen-

Dickov, Stead

Subs:

Emerton

Thompson (if fit, if not then put in Flitty!)

Gallagher (good sub, Jansen if fit..)

Short

Enckelman

EDIT: Oh, and a prediction?

1-1, MGP and Cahill.

Edited by herbergeehh

Tommo - fluid on the knee. Sadly sounds like curtains on his career. The injury for which he had last chance surgery was a wear/tear type for which fluid is a classic symptom. Jansen I suspect has also not recovered from cartilege surgery. Add on the absence of Bothroyd for remainder of season and the weekly battle to put Sav/Dickov on the field because of what sounds like hernias requiring surgery and Rovers have more than just an embryonic injury crisis. Lose the home games to Soton and Palace...relegation beckons.

I think you've just articulated a lot of people's fears. The injury situation is not only extensive but interesting to see how quiet the club has been about Jansen and Tommo.

Matteo seems to have a lengthy lay-off as well and with Gresko out until next season, perhaps Gray will be recalled from Leeds if anything happens to Nissa. Certainly Jay McEveley doesn't seem anywhere near the first team at present.

We could well be down to Gally, Stead and Johnson as our only fit forwards, and forced to play a midfield of Tugay and Flitty with Reid wide right and Douglas on the bench.

We are in deep trouble if MGP has an accident with a bottle of bleach.

Its got to be MGP and Stead upfront for me with Reid and Douglas coming in to keep the balance and to keep an interest in the game.

If Gally starts then he will have one hell of a game, something i dont think he his capable of.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.