SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Right back

den

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Greatest ever'? I can only assume that means as a player so Newton is my choice as I obviously never saw Crompton and Keith really did have international class.

As for the rest.......insulting to mention any of them in the same breath as those two.

Berg was an international class centre half and it showed when he played full back .........if he'd ever gone past the half way line he'd have got a nose bleed.

Hird and Price were exciting going forward but poor defensibly.

Bray a hard man but never a 'proper footballer',

Atko and Neil? Nah.

Perez daft to include him he wasn't here 5 minutes.

And if Jim Branagan and David May even dream they were fit to lace Newtons boots they had better wake up and apologise.

Edited by thenodrog

Just a question, Newton played quite a few games at left back. Would there be any objections to him being put up for that position? That was my intention.

Don't let that put anyone off voting for him now though, cos it might not happen.

I was referring to Arthur Cowell who played for a long time at left back at the same time as Bob Crompton played right back. I knew him-or rather I knew him as a grandad who was often biased in favour of his grand daughter with umpiring decisions etc. It was only when I was older that I realised who he was.

Yes, indeed, we do have a glorious history, some of which is accessible through various books that have come out over the years( I have heard that Mike Jackman might well be bringing 2 books out this year) and some of which is accessible through the library.

Just a question, Newton played quite a few games at left back. Would there be any objections to him being put up for that position? That was my intention.

Don't let that put anyone off voting for him now though, cos it might not happen.

Yes, definitely.

As I said in my earlier post, any all-time Rovers team would HAVE to include Keith Newton.

If he is not in at right back then he must go in at left. He was a class act whereever he played.

Yes, definitely.

As I said in my earlier post, any all-time Rovers team would HAVE to include Keith Newton.

If he is not in at right back then he must go in at left. He was a class act whereever he played.

I dont rem that happening too often cos Billy Wilson made that position his own, at least not until he went to Everton where Catterick forced him to play and he coped so well that England even used him there.

Yes, definitely.

I dont rem that happening too often cos Billy Wilson made that position his own, at least not until he went to Everton where Catterick forced him to play and he coped so well that England even used him there.

Else, Bray, Newton, Clayton, Woods, McGrath - sticks in my mind.

I can't comment on Bob Crompton because I didn't see him play, so I'm going for the ever-dependable Henning Berg (who's been giving Souness some stick in the press since GS left - Berg Backs Pederson.

And despite what some have said on this thread about anyone being a good right-back in the championship winning team - he was a good defender when he returned and we didn't have the same strength at the back. We've not been the same since he left.

from what my old man has told me Newton sounds like he's our best right back, he was in the england team when the late sir Bobby Moore was captain, you have to wonder whether crompton would have been england captain if he came from the same generation as moore.

in my lifetime I'd plump for Chris Price

newton was the best i've seen but the history books would all point to crompton as the most influential player we have ever had and thats not just rightbacks either.so for me its crompton as captain and rightback

newton was the best i've seen but the history books would all point to crompton as the most influential player we have ever had and thats not just rightbacks either.so for me its crompton as captain and rightback

He must also be in with a shout for the 'Manager' and 'Chairman' awards.

Hening Berg in front of Keith Newton ohmy.gif highlights just how meaningless these polls really are.

It may not be totally democratic but I suggest that more votes be allotted to each member on the basis of one vote per decade lived! That way the effect created by gormless kids on the overall vote can be negated. rover.gif

Hening Berg in front of Keith Newton ohmy.gif highlights just how meaningless these polls really are.

It may not be totally democratic but I suggest that more votes be allotted to each member on the basis of one vote per decade lived! That way the effect created by gormless kids on the overall vote can be negated. rover.gif

Hmmm, got to agree with Berg/Newton comments - especially in a poll for the right back. Absolutely no comparison. Still - as long as the best man wins, we might finish up with something worthwhile.

As for rigging the vote - Theno, REALLY! ohmy.gif If we did what you suggest, Jim'll elect the entire team on his own.

Quite so. An all-time Rovers team without Newton would be a farce.

In fact, I would suggest that "shoe-ins" (to use that horrible modern word) should be Crompton, Clayton, Douglas, Newton and Shearer with the other players fitted in around them.

Quite so. An all-time Rovers team without Newton would be a farce.

In fact, I would suggest that "shoe-ins" (to use that horrible modern word) should be Crompton, Clayton, Douglas, Newton and Shearer with the other players fitted in around them.

You forgot Captain Marvel, Tim Sherwood.

Come on..own up...who voted for Perez? And Mark Atkins.....? I personally rate Price as the best I've seen but Jim Brannagan was good as well, particularly if it was cutting up rough. In his time at Rovers it would be interesting to see how many games Jim missed as I can never remember him being inbjured. This was in the Saxton era when I think we had about 15 players and they had to play even if they had a life threastening inbjury. They don't breed em like that anymore!

Talking of shoe-ins, what about Mike England?

I haven't made my mind up yet between Eckersley and Newton. And there's going to be Forbes and Cowell to consider...

I'd have Mike England too, or Matt Woods, but I respect those who would argue the case for Colin Hendry.

No thanks Sherwood, Brownie.

Talking of shoe-ins, what about Mike England?

I haven't made my mind up yet between Eckersley and Newton. And there's going to be Forbes and Cowell to consider...

I'd have Mike England too, or Matt Woods, but I respect those who would argue the case for Colin Hendry.

No thanks Sherwood, Brownie.

I remember Mike England playing right half as an 18 year old, what a fantastic player. It will be difficult to get him chosen though, the vast majority haven't seen or heard anything about him. IMO, the best of the lot.

92er - I'll leave the case for forbes and Cowell up to you. smile.gif

I don't know if you ever read The Blackburn Times on Fridays, before it shut up shop, but there was a writer who I thought was excellent-William Westell.I think-and this is from memory and could be wrong-he used to print reports from matches of that particular date but from some time in the past. This brought to the fore many names that I otherwise would not have come across.I wonder if it would be possible to cover this in a media section within the history section?

Hening Berg in front of Keith Newton  ohmy.gif highlights just how meaningless these polls really are. 

It may not be totally democratic but I suggest that more votes be allotted to each member on the basis of one vote per decade lived!  That way the effect created by gormless kids on the overall vote can be negated.  rover.gif

I imagine most of that know enough about Newton voted for Garner at right back as Den has already indicated that Newton will be listed again as an option for centre-back (where he will undoubtedly be voted in).

Edited by samtheozzy

Come on..own up...who voted for Perez? And Mark Atkins.....? I personally rate Price as the best I've seen but Jim Brannagan was good as well, particularly if it was cutting up rough. In his time at Rovers it would be interesting to see how many games Jim missed as I can never remember him being inbjured. This was in the Saxton era when I think we had about 15 players and they had to play even if they had a life threastening inbjury. They don't breed em like that anymore!

I think he only ever missed for hairdressing appointments!